Looking for a Sub with Tight and Clean Bass

therock0720

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new stereo setup for my Eclipse. My recent setup (2 10" Kicker subs, with a 100 watt RMS per channel Kicker Amp) was recently stolen :/ along with my Kenwood deck being destroyed.

I was wondering what you guys/gals recommend for tight, clean bass (sub woofer and amp). I don't have a lot of money at the moment to spend, but I would like to get "the best bang for the buck".

I listen to anything from Hip Hop like Drake, all the way to some progressive rock like Genesis and Peter Gabriel and anything in between (except Country haha)

Alright, so if I went with the SSA DCON, should I go with one sub or two? and what amp should I get to power it all? And a sub enclosure choice? Its going in the hatchback of a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Tight and clean sound usually means upper sub bass/lower midbass range. I assume you want to play it clean, but not at the expense of lows. There are two philosophies regarding tight, clean bass. One is that subwoofers have no business playing higher bass octaves. Instead your front stage woofers should be able to play mid bass, leaving sub bass to the subwoofer duty. This setup can sound good, but to have it you need to have good components up front with a lot of power running to them and doors sealed and treated for better bass response. This is what I use. I have Alpine SPR-17S up front with 150watts RMS running to each side (probably excessive). The second philosophy to getting tight and clean bass is to look at extremely low distortion, low impedance subwoofers to fill the upper bass notes. Subwoofers that had been proved to work well for this are Dayton Reference series (all of them) and Peerless XXLS. One guy on DIYMA reported running XXLS with no crossover whatever with good results. This is what's probably a good indication of a tight and clean subwoofer. Another subwoofer that may work well for this duty is Infinity Kappa series because of its low inductance (low inductance often means, better cleaner upper end). I am actually waiting for my 12" Kappa to arrive to test this theory out..

Since you are driving an eclipse, maybe you should just run all Eclipse (Fujitsu-Ten) gear. Those subs are really clean plus the components, amps and hu are all awesome.

Tight and clean sound usually means upper sub bass/lower midbass range. I assume you want to play it clean, but not at the expense of lows. There are two philosophies regarding tight, clean bass. One is that subwoofers have no business playing higher bass octaves. Instead your front stage woofers should be able to play mid bass, leaving sub bass to the subwoofer duty. This setup can sound good, but to have it you need to have good components up front with a lot of power running to them and doors sealed and treated for better bass response. This is what I use. I have Alpine SPR-17S up front with 150watts RMS running to each side (probably excessive). The second philosophy to getting tight and clean bass is to look at extremely low distortion, low impedance subwoofers to fill the upper bass notes. Subwoofers that had been proved to work well for this are Dayton Reference series (all of them) and Peerless XXLS. One guy on DIYMA reported running XXLS with no crossover whatever with good results. This is what's probably a good indication of a tight and clean subwoofer. Another subwoofer that may work well for this duty is Infinity Kappa series because of its low inductance (low inductance often means, better cleaner upper end). I am actually waiting for my 12" Kappa to arrive to test this theory out..
Since midbass is is not omnidirectional like subbass is, philosophy #1 is the obviously superior choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.