Lithium batteries

Participant count
  • Participant list
That's not even a bad price for those cells these days what with demand for them plus shipping rate increases.

The difference is, those YingLong cells are good for 5C charge and 10C discharge, or on 40AH bank 200A charge and 400A discharge. LTO are also meant to last 20 years and that 40AH bank would be the size of a 6 pack of 16oz cans and weigh in at about 15 pounds. They can be had for a bit less money than the XS Power branded ones if you care to shop around and/or DIY bus bars.

That all said, I think most folks are under-sizing their banks of those and not really looking at the long term value of keeping them 5C discharge max and planning to own them for 20 years. Dollar for dollar, even at XS Power branded price these will outperform AMG by every measure and outlast them by multiples.

Notable new amps right now is Sundown (and a handful of other brands) selling Chinese made Soundigital knockoffs. They're about what you expect as far as sound, performance, and build quality, but Sundown flavor comes with Sundown warranty and all of them are priced at around Taramps price per watt. Well worth considering. In the 3K department specifically I think Taramps SMART3 would be tough to beat in bang for buck.

What do you think of the cells Bobbytwonames mentioned? They're a really good price in my opinion. For that price, I wouldn't mind buying 2 banks and making it overkill so I wasn't "undersizing".
https://customelectricservice.com/products/lishen-lto-18ah-2-5v-lithium-bank-6-cells

Since they're individual cells hooked together just by bus bars, wouldn't you have to worry about balancing? I still have the 3 foot aluminum bus bars from the last build I did, which I could cut up and drill for these lithium banks.

Are you talking about the Sundown SFB or SIA series?

I was also looking at a used Stetsom 8k on ebay:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=174976735155

Or a brand new Stetsom 8k from amazon for $100 more
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088JM8XP6/?tag=caraudiocom-20

It's not full range. Made for subwoofers. Half ohm stable.

Ok, yeah I also saw the "Smart" 3k's like Hispls mentioned. The "smart" ones said full range.

Go with lithium. Only about 12 pounds and equals about 3 AGM's.

View attachment 32946View attachment 32947
Thanks! Are those packs you made?

Since they're individual cells hooked together just by bus bars, wouldn't you have to worry about balancing? I still have the 3 foot aluminum bus bars from the last build I did, which I could cut up and drill for these lithium banks.

Ok, yeah I also saw the "Smart" 3k's like Hispls mentioned. The "smart" ones said full range.

Yes I would 100% run a balancer.

If you aren't planning on running an HO alternator I would do Headway cells.

Taramps just released the Smart Bass line as well. Rated power at 0.5-2 ohms.

Sundown does have a better warranty. 2 years over Taramps 1 year.

Yes I would 100% run a balancer.

If you aren't planning on running an HO alternator I would do Headway cells.

Taramps just released the Smart Bass line as well. Rated power at 0.5-2 ohms.

Sundown does have a better warranty. 2 years over Taramps 1 year.

Any link to a balancer?

I was planning to get a 240 or 300 amp alternator. I contacted JS alternators for a quote on lead time for orders.

The smart bass line is nearly twice the price. I'm sure it's a great amplifier, but I could get a Korean amp with similar power at that price point.

I'll make another thread for budget amp recommendations. Not concerned about warranty. Planning to run overkill electrical and not push the amp too far or into clipping. Never killed an amp before. Only sub I've ever damaged was one of my 21" Wardens, when a spider came un-glued.

Also, I was planning on removing the starting battery, and just having a bank in the trunk with 1/0 OFC running to the front. I don't know how old the flooded group 51 under the hood is, but I didn't really want to run it with an AGM or lithium. Not 100% sure it matters, but I recall there being issues running dissimilar batteries together because of resting voltages and charging/discharging characteristics. Has that been disproven in the past 6 years?

What do you think of the cells Bobbytwonames mentioned? They're a really good price in my opinion. For that price, I wouldn't mind buying 2 banks and making it overkill so I wasn't "undersizing".
https://customelectricservice.com/products/lishen-lto-18ah-2-5v-lithium-bank-6-cells

View attachment 32961

I was also looking at a used Stetsom 8k on ebay:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=174976735155

Or a brand new Stetsom 8k from amazon for $100 more
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088JM8XP6/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Thanks! Are those packs you made?

Yes, I've made two of them so far. One for my Dodge standard cab and one for my 62' Bug.[

20210625_173453.jpg

What do you think of the cells Bobbytwonames mentioned?
I have not tested that brand, but my supplier in China (who has done me right on batteries so far) says they perform as advertised, so they should be good. The YingLong brand is solid and of course Toshiba should be good (though I have yet to test the ones I just got). There's another brand that my guy told me is also good. Really depends what you're trying to do. Some are more money for the same AH rating because they're capable of higher charge and discharge rates, so you're trading off burst/peak potential for reserve a little bit between LTO cells. All should be a good value when you compare real-world performance to AGM and that's not even discussing size/weight/cold weather performance/life expectancy. The only thing these won't like is to live up under the hood so you'll ideally want to do a front battery delete and tuck them away somewhere else.

I have not used Stetsom amps since the very first 8K so I can't really speak for them, but the old 8K and the 4k2d I ran for a bit were both great for me. That said, they did/(do?) have a reputation for being time bombs. With any full bridge you'd do best to make sure you buy from a vendor that you can trust will provide warranty support or buy Amazon/eBay and pony up for the third party warranty to be safe.

I have not used balancing on either of the LTO banks I have here and after 3 years they still perform like they did brand new. IMO even if they only last 5 I'm still ahead of the game from AGM so I wasn't overly concerned about adding complexity.

Also consider if you charge only at 14.4 or 14.5 you would do well with just 5S LTO bank, if you're running 6S you would do best to charge up to 15.5 assuming none of your equipment will blow up at that voltage and if you still have that outboard regulator you had.

Your existing aluminum bars may or may not fit well with terminals depending which LTO cells you try to use. I've been using copper for mine but that **** is getting expensive these days.

Either. Buy from a legit dealer and you're getting 2 year, no ********, Sundown warranty. Can't really go too far wrong there.

I have not tested that brand, but my supplier in China (who has done me right on batteries so far) says they perform as advertised, so they should be good. The YingLong brand is solid and of course Toshiba should be good (though I have yet to test the ones I just got). There's another brand that my guy told me is also good. Really depends what you're trying to do. Some are more money for the same AH rating because they're capable of higher charge and discharge rates, so you're trading off burst/peak potential for reserve a little bit between LTO cells. All should be a good value when you compare real-world performance to AGM and that's not even discussing size/weight/cold weather performance/life expectancy. The only thing these won't like is to live up under the hood so you'll ideally want to do a front battery delete and tuck them away somewhere else.

I have not used Stetsom amps since the very first 8K so I can't really speak for them, but the old 8K and the 4k2d I ran for a bit were both great for me. That said, they did/(do?) have a reputation for being time bombs. With any full bridge you'd do best to make sure you buy from a vendor that you can trust will provide warranty support or buy Amazon/eBay and pony up for the third party warranty to be safe.

I have not used balancing on either of the LTO banks I have here and after 3 years they still perform like they did brand new. IMO even if they only last 5 I'm still ahead of the game from AGM so I wasn't overly concerned about adding complexity.

Also consider if you charge only at 14.4 or 14.5 you would do well with just 5S LTO bank, if you're running 6S you would do best to charge up to 15.5 assuming none of your equipment will blow up at that voltage and if you still have that outboard regulator you had.

Your existing aluminum bars may or may not fit well with terminals depending which LTO cells you try to use. I've been using copper for mine but that **** is getting expensive these days.

Either. Buy from a legit dealer and you're getting 2 year, no ********, Sundown warranty. Can't really go too far wrong there.

I did notice the Lishen cells were rated at 18Ah. I never run a system without the vehicle running, so I'm not concerned with reserve capacity.

After posting another thread, I'm planning to just get a Taramps Smart 3k.

I'm surprised that you don't run a balancing circuit. I thought that was critical when running multiple lithium cells in series. Extreme overcharging of one cell could lead to catastrophic failure. A balancing circuit would theoretically even out cell voltages, lessening stress on any one particular cell, correct? I know it's not fail-proof. The wires are pretty thin, and I doubt much current could flow through the circuit board to help balance cells while they're in use. It's more to balance things when the cells are not in use, right?

Max voltage on the Taramps Smart 3k is advertised at 16v. I plan on running my Ampere 125.4 or DC 175.4. Both of those should handle 15.5v. I was charging around 15.3-15.4 in my truck. The Civic's electrical should be ok at 15.5v. Unfortunately, I sold my external regulators. The only audio stuff I have left is my Alpine headunit, Ampere 125.4, DC 175.4, quad alternator bracket, Three GP audio 390A externally regulated alternators, wiring, and other electrical odds and ends like terminals. Otherwise, I'm starting this next build from scratch.

Fingers crossed, I'll be graduating this year. I've accepted a position as a project engineer, starting this December. I'll have some extra spending cash after I finish school and start the new job, so I kinda wanted to get back into audio.

I have some metalworking tools, so I was thinking about counterboring the bus bars to fit around the base of the studs:

catastrophic failure.
Which simply isn't a thing with LTO chemistry. You can see videos of them being drilled, cut in half with an angle grinder, being run over by a forklift, over-charged, whatever. These aren't like LiPo which can have the dangerous failures.

Sure, running without balancing probably isn't optimum but again, even if they only last a quarter of their advertised life expectancy I'm happy enough and about 1/3 of the cost I have into my banks is just the copper, hardware, tools and time into busssing. I was probably the first guy in the USA using those for car audio so there really wasn't even anything on the market to balance 6s banks anyway. Wasn't worried then, not worried now.

Building a small bank the only other thing to consider is "C rating". That is, how many times the rated amp hours of curerrent you can charge or discharge safely. Some of these cells (like the YingLong) are "rated" 10C which means you could charge a 40AH bank at 400A or pull 400A under load. If you look at the performance specs and cycle life specs they'll be some fraction of that max rating for best performance and whatever max rating you see published should definitely be considered "NEVER EXCEED". So for example, if you have 280A alternator you are going to need 28AH of a 10C rated cell to be safe, but if you double your amp hour capacity you'll get better performance and extend the life of that bank by about double.

Again, these are rated to last 20 years or 20,000 or more cycles so I'm going to guess that even with some abuse they'll outlast anything we could have used prior to their invent. Some of the car audio branded battery companies are even selling tailor-made banks which they claim are fine to run along with stock or AGM, which is flat out ******** but they are likely going by the assumption that even with that sort of install they'll still outlast whatever warranty they're offering.

Anyway, counter-sinking the bars is an option but an awful lot of work if you don't have access to a real metal shop.

Congrats on the pending new job. Hope you're staying out of trouble.

Which simply isn't a thing with LTO chemistry. You can see videos of them being drilled, cut in half with an angle grinder, being run over by a forklift, over-charged, whatever. These aren't like LiPo which can have the dangerous failures.

Sure, running without balancing probably isn't optimum but again, even if they only last a quarter of their advertised life expectancy I'm happy enough and about 1/3 of the cost I have into my banks is just the copper, hardware, tools and time into busssing. I was probably the first guy in the USA using those for car audio so there really wasn't even anything on the market to balance 6s banks anyway. Wasn't worried then, not worried now.

Building a small bank the only other thing to consider is "C rating". That is, how many times the rated amp hours of curerrent you can charge or discharge safely. Some of these cells (like the YingLong) are "rated" 10C which means you could charge a 40AH bank at 400A or pull 400A under load. If you look at the performance specs and cycle life specs they'll be some fraction of that max rating for best performance and whatever max rating you see published should definitely be considered "NEVER EXCEED". So for example, if you have 280A alternator you are going to need 28AH of a 10C rated cell to be safe, but if you double your amp hour capacity you'll get better performance and extend the life of that bank by about double.

Again, these are rated to last 20 years or 20,000 or more cycles so I'm going to guess that even with some abuse they'll outlast anything we could have used prior to their invent. Some of the car audio branded battery companies are even selling tailor-made banks which they claim are fine to run along with stock or AGM, which is flat out ******** but they are likely going by the assumption that even with that sort of install they'll still outlast whatever warranty they're offering.

Anyway, counter-sinking the bars is an option but an awful lot of work if you don't have access to a real metal shop.

Congrats on the pending new job. Hope you're staying out of trouble.

Ok, I was concerned about safety/longevity of the bank without balancing. I'm currently writing a research paper on microbattery technology, and some of the new lithium chemistries that perform great are unstable/dangerous. Not an ideal quality for powering wireless earbuds to say the least. I just started the paper two weeks ago, so I haven't dug into all the different lithium chemistries yet.

I know a decent bit about AGM batteries, but my knowledge of lithium cells is limited. I would like to know more. When you say 5S or 6S, does that mean a 5 cell bank or 6 cell bank?

The Lishen cells are rated at 15C/50C. 15C being the maximum recommended continuous pull (270A), and 50C being the absolute maximum rated draw (900A). The Wilson Audio Labs test showed the smart 3 drawing 277A at 1 ohm, 288A at 1.3 ohms, and 334A at 2 ohms. After watching the video, I definitely learned a lot about the smart 3, assuming their information is accurate. If I'm wired to 1 ohm nominal, my minimal box rise *may* be somewhere around 1.3 ohms. I know there are a TON of factors with this, and it is theoretically possible my minimum box rise could be around 2 ohms. The amp establishes a maximum voltage output based on the load, and isn't "constantly correcting" (making a constant power over a range of impedance) like I had incorrectly assumed it would do.

That being said, if we assume the amp draws 300A for extended durations of time, it's a bit out of the comfort range of one bank. If I add a second bank, it should be well within the usable daily range, even factoring in the 4 channel amp and vehicle's draw. My stock alt is something like 75A. I'm thinking about trying 2 banks on the stock alt first, and then deciding between the 240A and 300A alt based on voltage drop severity. Likely, I'll end up going with the 300A, because I don't like to skimp.

I'd like to test my skills with the bus bars. I have some mill bits for my drill press at home. Otherwise, I have access to the metal fabrication shop on campus. As long as I'm bringing in my own aluminum stock, I can work on personal projects. Worst case, they turn out bad and I have the local metal shop (which I know the owner of) make some bus bars with the remaining aluminum bars I haven't messed up, haha. Otherwise, I saw some for sale online.

Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm staying out of trouble completely, but I'm still kickin'. I bought my first house in 2019. I had my uncle who is a partner at a construction company check it out. It's solid, and not a fixer-upper. 2 bed, one bath. Single car detached garage with a huge fenced in backyard that has a gate for alley access. Had a new roof put on a month before I bought it. I ordered new windows in August, and they just arrived last weekend. Going to install the new windows before I get too far on this build. Based on my last 2 years' financial statements, I could pay off my house in under 4 years if I don't change my spending habits too much after starting the new job. Life isn't all good, but I know it could be worse. One thing I've learned in life so far is that things can always get worse.

I appreciate the time you're taking to advise me about the batteries. Thanks

Thanks, any pictures of the bank setup for reference? Is it the "4S-6S" model for 6 cell banks?

Balance them before you assemble them. Then they are all charging the same. Just saying.
Do you use any kind of balancing circuit?

We balance all the cells overnight before we assemble the bank. Then when it is assembled they are all charging and discharging together.

20210519_193429.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...