Lithium batteries

Participant count
  • Participant list
Aw, you were way more entertaining when your strategy was "Ready... fire... aim!"

Yeah, things change in 6 years, haha.

I've never done a "trunk build" but I've heard of people spending a ton of time on a box, only for it to not fit.

Got my lithium cells today. Not super pleased with packing. Two posts had poked holes in the box. One was sticking out of the cardboard when I got the package. The threads were a little buggered up, but I think they'll be ok. There was a chunk of formed Styrofoam at the bottom of the box with some loose paper packed on top of them. Would have been better to tape or shrink wrap the cells together so they weren't rattling together during shipping. I also picked up the new windows for my house today. Going to get those put in before I really start to work on the build. It's starting to get cold here in Iowa. I can always work on the civic in a heated shop, but I don't want to be swapping out windows in the snow!

@hispls or anyone else who knows, what is a good resting voltage for the XS lithium cells. I know they're 2.3v nominal, but what is ideal?

4 of the 6 I got were resting around 2.2v. One was at .7v and 1 was at .5v. I'm currently charging the low ones with a regulated DC power supply. The one I have hooked up now, I'm giving a slow charge of of .2A

Charge them individually to 2.2-2.3v or passive balance them. Then when you put the bank together charge them to your alternators charge voltage 15.5 ideally.

Yinlong only group on FB.

passive balance.jpg

Charge them individually to 2.2-2.3v or passive balance them. Then when you put the bank together charge them to your alternators charge voltage 15.5 ideally.

Yinlong only group on FB.
[/URL]

View attachment 33284

I was going to charge the 2 low ones today, and passive balance them for a few days, or until next weekend. I just didn't want to connect a cell at .5v to the rest of them at 2.2v.

The one cell I've been charging is up to 1.92v now. I have the voltage set to 2.4v, and it's drawing .28A

One was at .7v and 1 was at .5v.
That's very worrying. Every one of mine I got direct from China was sitting around 2.3V give or take a tenth or less. Those don't ship direct from overseas discharged! Between that and the busted up packaging I'd be asking about returning the lot and trying again.

Pretty sure optimum for long term storage is around nominal voltage. Mitch had some info on that topic but I forgot what he said because I just pretty much go as they are. If mine **** the bed tomorrow I'd have got my money's worth out of them and buy again so I'm not stressing much over maintenance in my application.

That's very worrying. Every one of mine I got direct from China was sitting around 2.3V give or take a tenth or less. Those don't ship direct from overseas discharged! Between that and the busted up packaging I'd be asking about returning the lot and trying again.

Pretty sure optimum for long term storage is around nominal voltage. Mitch had some info on that topic but I forgot what he said because I just pretty much go as they are. If mine **** the bed tomorrow I'd have got my money's worth out of them and buy again so I'm not stressing much over maintenance in my application.

I got the two low ones up above 1.9v, and have them both on the charger. When they get to 2.2v, I'll hook them up to the rest

All in parallel, they were sitting at 2.11v. Hooked the buss bars up to the power supply. Bringing them up slowly, with a little over .1A current.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...