Just installed new setup...

qwiktune
10+ year member

Ninja Samurai
My previous system = 2 Sony Xplode 12s in sealed box (the red pentagon ones 350w RMS) run by an Alpine MRD-M301 amp (350w RMS @2 ohms)

I had that system for a very long time and it was decent (although I know the general population is pretty anti sony when it comes to car audio, I'll admit I hate their amps, but these subs have performed well for me over 8 years) but decided to try something new/bigger so I upgraded my system to 2 12in Rockford HX2's (1000w RMS) run by a Kenwood KAC-9104D (900w RMS).....well let me just tell you i think it was a little more than I bargained for haha. Now not only can you hear me coming like before but now you can feel it lol. I can tell its a little bit more stressful on my car as well. I actually think I might switch back to my previous setup being that well not only could I use the money I'll get from the HX2s but they are over kill and i noticed not to much better in the sound quality department. Granted they are louder and hit harder but to be honest I really was just looking for something with better SQ and from what I've read these puppies are beast but are more for SPL side. Not to mention my car rattles a lot more than it did and my car being a '98 i feel like with running this bigger setup i'm setting myself up for future problems maybe more so electrical since these rockfords are juice hogs.....

Can anyone suggest what I could get to replace my Xplodes but just having better SQ? Although I love bass these HX2 are just really loud and I'd rather have something thats tighter and has great SQ

Last edited by a moderator:
You buy wal mart equipment you'll get wal mart performance.
The only thing I figured that could be considered walmart equipment is the Xplodes? From what I read those RF HX2 are some of the best subs rockford made, but like I said I assume they are more SPL and SQ, doesn't mean they don't perform great, I was just looking for SQ and i was satisfied with my Xplodes for liek i said 8+ years with no problems, they just don't have good SQ either, but after hooking up the RF i realized I dont want more ear bleeding sound, i just want something that punches nice and tight, as far as everything else, its performs quite nicely

I have some dayton 15" reference-HO's and I can't tell you how much I love them. They fall perfectly into whatever music you throw at them.
Well 15" is to big for my little 2 door import and I've always rocked 12s so i'd either go 12s again or maybe even 2 10s so I can get a little trunk space back lol

The only thing I figured that could be considered walmart equipment is the Xplodes? From what I read those RF HX2 are some of the best subs rockford made, but like I said I assume they are more SPL and SQ, doesn't mean they don't perform great, I was just looking for SQ and i was satisfied with my Xplodes for liek i said 8+ years with no problems, they just don't have good SQ either, but after hooking up the RF i realized I dont want more ear bleeding sound, i just want something that punches nice and tight, as far as everything else, its performs quite nicely
Sorry, just saw the xplode's part.... HX2 is pretty respectable. I think you might be able to get good results from them in a different box... New box is often a better/cheaper solution than new subs... just saying.

Sorry, just saw the xplode's part.... HX2 is pretty respectable. I think you might be able to get good results from them in a different box... New box is often a better/cheaper solution than new subs... just saying.
I always wanted to try a ported but I heard these perform better in a sealed? Any idea which you think would be better? I think my biggest issue here with these powerful subs is getting a high output alternator cause they do seem like juice hogs

Dunno what size alternator ur car has, but if at 80A + , then ur current set up shud be okay if you have a good deep cycle battery (AGM, preferably) and you've done your Big Three....

Def lots better choices out there for SQL than what you currently have, tho.

SA, Skar, Obsidian, Dayton, Fi, DC just to toss out a few that will perform nicely in smaller/sealed boxes.

Oh, and proper sound damping will take care of those rattles, lol

I always wanted to try a ported but I heard these perform better in a sealed? Any idea which you think would be better? I think my biggest issue here with these powerful subs is getting a high output alternator cause they do seem like juice hogs
You should get a lot more low extension ported. Downside is they want a rather large box for ported. Then again, they really want a large-ish box sealed. Putting a woofer in a too-small box is a recipe for poor sound.

My previous system = 2 Sony Xplode 12s in sealed box (the red pentagon ones 350w RMS) run by an Alpine MRD-M301 amp (350w RMS @2 ohms)
I had that system for a very long time and it was decent (although I know the general population is pretty anti sony when it comes to car audio, I'll admit I hate their amps, but these subs have performed well for me over 8 years) but decided to try something new/bigger so I upgraded my system to 2 12in Rockford HX2's (1000w RMS) run by a Kenwood KAC-9104D (900w RMS).....well let me just tell you i think it was a little more than I bargained for haha. Now not only can you hear me coming like before but now you can feel it lol. I can tell its a little bit more stressful on my car as well. I actually think I might switch back to my previous setup being that well not only could I use the money I'll get from the HX2s but they are over kill and i noticed not to much better in the sound quality department. Granted they are louder and hit harder but to be honest I really was just looking for something with better SQ and from what I've read these puppies are beast but are more for SPL side. Not to mention my car rattles a lot more than it did and my car being a '98 i feel like with running this bigger setup i'm setting myself up for future problems maybe more so electrical since these rockfords are juice hogs.....

Can anyone suggest what I could get to replace my Xplodes but just having better SQ? Although I love bass these HX2 are just really loud and I'd rather have something thats tighter and has great SQ
Get 2 of these //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif and a Alpine MRP1000 or Kicker ZX1500.

Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462

Get 2 of these //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif and a Alpine MRP1000 or Kicker ZX1500.Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462
Yeah I'm leaning toward getting a pair of those. It's nice they work in such small box...what would be best with them, sealed? Also do you think the Kenwood I already have (refer to original post for model) would power them nicely? Its 900w @2 ohm i believe, would save me from having to get another amp. I was also messing around with the idea, what if I did a single Rockford HX2 in a ported box? Cause 2 of them is just overkill not to mention how heavy they are. Don't laugh at me on this next part but I also never did the Big 3, I mean i know what it is, i just never got to doing it when I learned what it was (a long time ago lol). Right now I have just a general rebuilt alternator from Advanced Auto Parts from when mine died a few years ago and a battery from Triple A. I think the big 3 should move to the top of the list of things to do though huh lol

Yeah the Kenwood would be fine if it does 900rms @ 2 ohms no point in pushing them they are only 600rms ea. Also I've heard they work really well in sealed if you want SQ and aren't a good box designer/builder sealed is an easier way to achieve SQ. So I guess it's your choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.