I've had enough! I'm going active!

Yes, I found for myself, it was very fun an intresting to do. You have to read alot. I am by no means an expert, or Mr. Goodwrench, probally would be considered a scrub compared to most posters here.

Has OP considered using a subwoofer? I'd say 75W per channel on components is a lot of power. More efficient mids and tweets would help. Power handling will largely depend on your crossover frequencies and listening habits. Also keep in mind stock speaker locations are typically sub-optimum.

There's a big competition this coming Sunday up in NH, you should head up there, see some things, and get some ideas.

What made you decide, as basically a beginner, to go that route? It's something I would consider. Do you know of any recommended reading off the top of your head where I could get a gist of what the project would require?

Has OP considered using a subwoofer? I'd say 75W per channel on components is a lot of power. More efficient mids and tweets would help. Power handling will largely depend on your crossover frequencies and listening habits. Also keep in mind stock speaker locations are typically sub-optimum.
There's a big competition this coming Sunday up in NH, you should head up there, see some things, and get some ideas.
the one in hooksett? what will it be like?

What made you decide, as basically a beginner, to go that route? It's something I would consider. Do you know of any recommended reading off the top of your head where I could get a gist of what the project would require?
Just reading around this forum will get the job done. Look at the stickys, and read some of them. Very informative.

the one in hooksett? what will it be like?
It'll be a car show/SPL show AFAIK. Probably be a big crowd of people with all levels of skill, interest, and equipment. More than likely you'll see a 164db windshield blowout which is worth the drive. There was a great turnout at Boomer McLoud's show last weekend and they were plugging this show pretty hard to could be some ppl will come from that one too.

You'll find MUCH more info on DIYMA.com - Car Audio Forum & 12 volt Community Board on active setups and good components that can be had from madisound and partsexpress on the cheap.

To the OP. Stop take a break do not spend any money yet. First stop and do research so you fully understand everything or at least understand what going active truly means, how to accomplish it and what you will need to accomplish it.

There are stickies here on active vs. passive and also ton's of info if it is still there on diymobileaudio.com. Also google can help in your research.

Do not get in a hurry that will be biggest mistake you can make.

so, because i don't know what i'm doing (yet), i shouldn't try?
my mantra is that whether or not you think you can or can't do something, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

but basically, in a nutshell, i want louder music. biamplification isn't rocket science. it's something i want to try //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
with that statement you have clearly proved my point that you have no idea what you're talking about or doing. bi-amp crossover and active crossovers are different. maybe you should "read" up on what the differences are and the benefits on each as well as the proper way to use active crossovers. you'll get better sound and output on a properly setup passive crossover than from a poorly set up active crossover. it may not be rocket science but you created a thread on you going active and have no clue of what you are doing other than putting more power to speakers.

It'll be a car show/SPL show AFAIK. Probably be a big crowd of people with all levels of skill, interest, and equipment. More than likely you'll see a 164db windshield blowout which is worth the drive. There was a great turnout at Boomer McLoud's show last weekend and they were plugging this show pretty hard to could be some ppl will come from that one too.
You'll find MUCH more info on DIYMA.com - Car Audio Forum & 12 volt Community Board on active setups and good components that can be had from madisound and partsexpress on the cheap.
I'm going to make the trip! Thanks for letting me know.

To the OP. Stop take a break do not spend any money yet. First stop and do research so you fully understand everything or at least understand what going active truly means, how to accomplish it and what you will need to accomplish it.
There are stickies here on active vs. passive and also ton's of info if it is still there on diymobileaudio.com. Also google can help in your research.

Do not get in a hurry that will be biggest mistake you can make.
with that statement you have clearly proved my point that you have no idea what you're talking about or doing. bi-amp crossover and active crossovers are different. maybe you should "read" up on what the differences are and the benefits on each as well as the proper way to use active crossovers. you'll get better sound and output on a properly setup passive crossover than from a poorly set up active crossover. it may not be rocket science but you created a thread on you going active and have no clue of what you are doing other than putting more power to speakers.
Yeah basically I want more control over my system. I want it to sound good, look clean, and get louder than I could ever want it. I have a few goals, and I may not be able to complete them all at once, but that's okay.

My first order of business is buying a new amp and a set of components, so I have music to listen to for the time being (and i really want to ditch the coaxials. mainly because my knee is blocking the left tweeter and it definitely makes a difference).

However, by the fall it would be nice to install a system with active components. Who knows, maybe just a better set of speakers and amp is all i need to get a setup that I like. But it would be a fun project. Thanks for the tips guys. You know i'll be posting here with progress (or lack thereof).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.