Is this board set up correctly?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Thank you again! I have one last question, kind of unrelated. I just put an Optima Yellow Top battery in my car and took the stock one out. Would it be worth it to run that battery to the trunk?

Thank you again! I have one last question, kind of unrelated. I just put an Optima Yellow Top battery in my car and took the stock one out. Would it be worth it to run that battery to the trunk?
depends on the amp and the cars stock electrical ,you dont wanna mix battery types

One quick bit of advice. It's not going to really hurt anything to have the wires hanging like that, but I would highly recommend drilling holes in the board and routing the wires behind it. Much cleaner look. I would find a way to secure the wires to the back of the board so that they don't move around or get caught on anything. Even if it' just some duct tape, it's better than nothing.

some are too stuck on caps and not noticing the important stuff.

Hintzy saw one, run wires behind the amp board! easy to do and makes it 100x better looking and safer. also, you should secure wires to the board, to provide strain relief when ran on the board surface. if a wire got snagged it could short out and cause damage to the amps, battery, even start a fire. sparks are plentiful In a short.

most important item that was missed: on the Pioneer amp you have bare copper wire strands visible and loose. dangerous. put a proper spade terminal on those wires. at no time should you see bare copper wire strands.

also, when you reduce wire size you should have the smaller wire fused unless the amp includes fuses. not fusing a smaller wire means it could be overloaded and get hot, then melt, then short out. the amp fuses will protect from overloading and the fuse at the battery protects from short circuits.

I just used two screws to hold up the wires, no sagging and they certainly won't get snagged! On the Pioneer amp I think what you were seeing is the copper screw and top on the power. There are no wires poking out anywhere...and as far as fusing goes both the amp have fuses in them, and I plan on running a fuse just before the cap on the board (if it doesn't hurt I'm leaving it there because I already set up the board!)

View attachment 26543286

everything looks okay, except use spades on the pioneer.

also make sure you have a fuse at the battery (source).

having a fuse before the cap really won't accomplish anything as it'll protect your cap, maybe, but if your cap malfunctions for any reason there's nothing inbetween the cap and the amps (except their own internal fusing which may be too little too late).

I personally prefer to use fused distro blocks for power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.