Is it possible to build TOO big of a box for what I want?

Participant count
  • Participant list

lnsomnia

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys! I'm doing a budget build very shortly, and plan on putting in two 15 inch hds200's by sound qubed. They recommend a box 9 cubes big for two 15's but I plan on walling them off in my civic and the box I wanted to build was going to be 14-16 cubes big. If they had 18's in the hds200 model I would snag them, but they don't.

So... In short... Sound Qubed recommends a box 9 cubes for two 15's. The box I want to build is 14-16 cubes. I'm not competing or anything, this is going to be a daily. Can this be done? I want it tuned low at about 29-31hz.

If you guys could recommend any cheap/budget 18's as an alternative that would be great.

RE SX 18's are pretty cheap, depending on what's your budget?
Well the hds200's were only $90 a sub, which was great. Anything around that would be awesome, but I can't think of any decent companies that sell 18's that cheap. I would like to spend no more than $150 a sub if possible...

Well the hds200's were only $90 a sub, which was great. Anything around that would be awesome, but I can't think of any decent companies that sell 18's that cheap. I would like to spend no more than $150 a sub if possible...
simple, buy another 15 and run 3 15s walled.

simple, buy another 15 and run 3 15s walled.
I don't think I have enough room to fit 3 subs in my wall. :/ If I could, I would. I've got a width of about 33 inches right behind my seats. Small car.

That'd be pretty decent as well. What kind of power are you going to be giving these?
I've got a 1500w amp by Cliff Designs. CDX-10a is the model.

I don't think I have enough room to fit 3 subs in my wall. :/ If I could, I would. I've got a width of about 33 inches right behind my seats. Small car.

I've got a 1500w amp by Cliff Designs. CDX-10a is the model.
You can't do a triangle pattern? Like two on top and one sub in the middle on bottom?

Why not just bring the back of the wall forward til u get the area u need ?
I kind of wanted a lot of air space.

You can't do a triangle pattern? Like two on top and one sub in the middle on bottom?
Derp. I just thought of that lol. I may actually end up doing that and just wiring them at 1.3ohms; should work out near perfect for the amp I have. Thanks haha.

Why not just bring the back of the wall forward til u get the area u need ?
This. Just because you have the room doesnt mean you need to use it. There are downfalls to having too large of an enclosure. Power handling is one of them. You won't be starving your subs for power with that amp. Keep them closer to the recommended size and I think you'll be very happy.

I kind of wanted a lot of air space.

Derp. I just thought of that lol. I may actually end up doing that and just wiring them at 1.3ohms; should work out near perfect for the amp I have. Thanks haha.
Just make it 9 cubes for the 2 then you will have some space behind when u pop the hatch for future upgrades like extra amps batts wiring cap banks..thats what id do

Just make it 9 cubes for the 2 then you will have some space behind when u pop the hatch for future upgrades like extra amps batts wiring cap banks..thats what id do
I already accommodated extra space in the back for that same reason. Appreciate it. I really like the idea of fitting three 15's but I don't know how to do that with only a width of 33.5. It leaves me with no room for a port. I can just barely squeeze in three 15's on the front wall, and I don't know if I want to do that as much as I would love to have three 15's.

This. Just because you have the room doesnt mean you need to use it. There are downfalls to having too large of an enclosure. Power handling is one of them. You won't be starving your subs for power with that amp. Keep them closer to the recommended size and I think you'll be very happy.
Like I said above, I really like the idea of three 15's because I definitely have the volume for it and just box it at 12 cubes. It's just the front wall I'm having problems with since I have no room for a port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.