Is 38hz for a box decent?

And it’s not all about playing below 30 hz or whatever always, a lot of times it’s controlling where highest peak is as well as controlling the overall response. It’s just personal preference

I've done more than a few enclosures myself, most people specify "loud" when they're really after lows. Vehicle, goals and music preference... and driver usually dictate tuning and enclosure type. Lower tier subs have come a long way.

Tuned under 34hz I barely did 150 but it sure felt loud AF for what it was, extension to 25hz and peaked around 37hz n my cabin. Tuned 40ish I was consistently doing 152.4db @ 47hz for a time Usaci 3K stock.
Just happened that the higher tuning matched my musical preferences. The lower tunings demoed great but lacked the punch I was after personally. Others preferred the lower extension of the lower tune but I suppose I'm a Spl junkie of sorts. Different subs as well... the Resilient liked a lower tuning vs the Bl which worked out fairly well for Spl.
I loved watching the wipers slap +2" off the windshield on burps. It was slightly headachy bass but had tons of impact, it wasn't too bad though and did not part the car out like the lower tuning did (daily whip). Bud of mine is knocking on 160, peaking 55hz... ouch.
Not bad for a single 18 but not my idea of musical unless tones are your thing... lol.

Its all about goals. Lots of decent $100 subs available, but in the end enclosure/install will make or break your substage... and that's the foundation of your music.

I don’t owe you anything lol.
Way to not support the claim you have made.
What do you think about somebody like Sundown recommending tuning to 32 hz
I think you have just moved the goalposts and that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. You have made a claim that lots of regular speed music will require playing below 30hz and I have asked you to cite some examples. What Sundown or Fi or DD design their subs to do isn't part of that topic.

I think you have just moved the goalposts and that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. You have made a claim that lots of regular speed music will require playing below 30hz and I have asked you to cite some examples. What Sundown or Fi or DD design their subs to do isn't part of that topic.

I'm not in competition with you. I don't understand what claim you're talking about.

No what I said is that I have several songs that play below 30 hz, because I specifically choose those songs. I'm not wasting an hour going through my 1000+ songs just to prove something to you that I already know. I don't owe you that. I have the songs, used to have them all in a playlist that I demo'd almost everyday. And furthermore, it doesn't even matter. Do your boxes however you want, I don't care. If you come to me and want a 38 hz box, or hell idc I'll tune your box to 80 hz if you want me to! You're trying to objectively argue a subjective subject, it's just not going to work. There's no argument to be had because everyone's ears are different.

Some boxes I tune to 35-38, some boxes I tune to 25 hz. I've tuned ported boxes anywhere from low 20's hz up to like 42-45 hz or so.

You're missing the whole beauty of audio is that you can tune to whatever you want. I have a certain type of customer base that doesn't want to play above 50 hz. 50 hz is usually the number, sometimes it's 60 hz. There's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with the people who don't care for bass lower than 30 hz. That's less common but I do get that request as well, say play as good as possible between 30-80 hz. That does sound fairly good on daily, just depends on what type of music you are listening to.

Last edited:
My loudest system was tuned to 29 hz with 2 dc xl m1 18's and I could play 25 hz at 145, 27 hz at 147, peak 149.3 @ 35 hz (vehicle resonance), and could play 147+ all the way up 65 hz or so. I could play into the 70's but my box was a little too big so the woofers would start unloading and it would rape my voltage. The box I had wasn't designed for the 18's I had, so it was a little bigger than it needed to be, or else I could've easily reached up into the low 70's.

In an ideal world, I would have doors that could play down to about 60-80 hz somewhere. Like play loudly down to that level, and I would have my sub stage play maybe 20-65 hz. That's what I like. I would run dedicated midbasses instead of trying to tune my box higher. That is a lot of work, but that's why I say ideally.

Low end bass is super popular. That's why Sundown's X and Z series are so popular. That whole style of super big excursion and big surrounds is primarily based around reproducing low frequencies. Some people like it. There's a whole style of subwoofers now based around hitting lows.

And if that's your thing, then awesome! If it's not, it's still awesome because you can still do whatever you want with a box!

Last edited:
used to have them all in a playlist that I demo'd almost everyday.
And you can't remember the names of 5 of them that are normal speed? I can still remember at least a dozen of the best bass songs we used to play back when I first started driving over 30 years ago.
You're trying to objectively argue a subjective subject
Not trying to argue anything, I'm simply asking you to name off a few normal speed non pipe organ music tracks that contain a lot of <30hz material.
I'm not wasting an hour
It would seriously take you an hour to type out the names of 5 songs? If sub 30hz material is common in normal speed music it should not take that much effort to rattle off half a dozen so that folks reading this can decide whether or not they'll be missing anything if they don't plan around being able to play that bandwidth.

And you can't remember the names of 5 of them that are normal speed? I can still remember at least a dozen of the best bass songs we used to play back when I first started driving over 30 years ago.

Not trying to argue anything, I'm simply asking you to name off a few normal speed non pipe organ music tracks that contain a lot of <30hz material.

It would seriously take you an hour to type out the names of 5 songs? If sub 30hz material is common in normal speed music it should not take that much effort to rattle off half a dozen so that folks reading this can decide whether or not they'll be missing anything if they don't plan around being able to play that bandwidth.

Well to be honest I don't have my music set up yet on my PC. It's been a while since I've demo'd a system. Low 30's are common just like any other bass notes are common. There are a certain amount of songs that have high 20's. I'm not trying to make the argument that a ton of songs play below 30 hz, that's not what I'm doing. I have songs that I play that have a 25 hz tone basically in them, and some other people do too. Tuning to 32 hz for instance isn't just to determine what to play below tuning frequency, it's also the response curve, the peeaks in a cabin space. Many people like a lower end peak, some do not. That's what I try to figure out when I tune a box. I ask people what bandwidth they want to play, what kind of music that they listen to, etc.

I have songs that I play that have a 25 hz tone basically in them, and some other people do too.
Yeah, DJ Whalesong and the Quaaludes and their platinum album "Half Speed". Seriously, I've seen plenty of those wind tunnel builds and never once seen anybody playing anything in them that isn't either slowed down or some normal song re-mixed with test tones overlayed. Even the old school woofer test CDs don't contain much material below 35hz.
Tuning to 32 hz for instance isn't just to determine what to play below tuning frequency, it's also the response curve
I said this already earlier in the thread, in fact I believe I told OP that that was the most important consideration is what tuning will be best for the woofer.
I ask people what bandwidth they want to play, what kind of music that they listen to, etc.
And most folks have no idea what frequencies are in their music or would be able to guess what a tone was if you were to play it for them. I wonder though, when you ask people what music they listen to, how many of them tell you they can't remember or don't have time to type out a few examples for you?

Yeah, DJ Whalesong and the Quaaludes and their platinum album "Half Speed". Seriously, I've seen plenty of those wind tunnel builds and never once seen anybody playing anything in them that isn't either slowed down or some normal song re-mixed with test tones overlayed. Even the old school woofer test CDs don't contain much material below 35hz.

I said this already earlier in the thread, in fact I believe I told OP that that was the most important consideration is what tuning will be best for the woofer.

And most folks have no idea what frequencies are in their music or would be able to guess what a tone was if you were to play it for them. I wonder though, when you ask people what music they listen to, how many of them tell you they can't remember or don't have time to type out a few examples for you?

What's your point?

Why don't you be respectful and we can start from there. I don't get where your attitude towards me is coming from. If you've got a problem, say it.
I'm just trying to figure out what normal speed music contains <30hz material. You claim that you have quite a few that you played every day but have yet to name even one.

Just give us a few examples of what music contains this so that myself and others can better weigh the value of low tuning.

I have a problem in general with people making claims and then not backing them up. Nothing personal, but don't make claims and then get offended if someone asks for details.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.