Is 38hz for a box decent?

Coreybruner

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 30, 2021
Sacramento
I want a well rounded bass sound closer to a sealed box but want the advantage of the spl from a ported box any input would be appreciated

If you just wanna burn on me please keep it to yourself

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
That's high for daily IMO. Depends on how low you want to go at the sacrifice of low notes. A lot of daily tuning I do is from 32-35, 36 hz. 38 hz will start to fall off usually at the lower 30's. Some songs have high 20's notes, or even mid 20's. I personally like to hit those notes. Depends on your sub and vehicle and other factors as well.

Coreybruner

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 30, 2021
Sacramento
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's high for daily IMO. Depends on how low you want to go at the sacrifice of low notes. A lot of daily tuning I do is from 32-35, 36 hz. 38 hz will start to fall off usually at the lower 30's. Some songs have high 20's notes, or even mid 20's. I personally like to hit those notes. Depends on your sub and vehicle and other factors as well.
I'm in a single cab dodge ram 95

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Some songs have high 20's notes, or even mid 20's
Name 5 that are normal speed and don't involve a pipe organ.
I'm in a single cab dodge ram 95
Vehicle shouldn't much matter. Generally outside of home theater type applications I would not tune below 36hz but you should probably consider which sub you are using and model the response. Some subs will perform very well tuned low, others will give an in-car response curve that looks like a two-humped camel which I personally find detestable.

Lastly, consider that most people do not think a completely flat frequency response sounds good and what does sound """good""" is completely subjective. You may want to just plan a way to adjust tuning after your box is built so that you can test what works best for your goals and application.

Reactions: Kybasshead75

Kybasshead75

CarAudio.com Regular
Sep 11, 2020
Ky

Vehicle shouldn't much matter. Generally outside of home theater type applications I would not tune below 36hz but you should probably consider which sub you are using and model the response. Some subs will perform very well tuned low, others will give an in-car response curve that looks like a two-humped camel which I personally find detestable.

Lastly, consider that most people do not think a completely flat frequency response sounds good and what does sound """good""" is completely subjective. You may want to just plan a way to adjust tuning after your box is built so that you can test what works best for your goals and application.

Kybasshead75

CarAudio.com Regular
Sep 11, 2020
Ky
oops hit reply button too soon this advice is the best you could possibly follow if I build a ported enclosure I'm always going to do the rear entry panel in a gasket style like a car engine block with heavy bolts to seal it up Rock solid but the option to take the panel off so I can get to the aeroport and change the tube length inside of the box.
It's pretty amazing the difference that tuning can make in the vehicle and this is the easiest way to change it without having to redo your setups that's why I don't do slot Port boxes you can't adjust them.
I have been really surprised just tinkering with various builds and how changing the tuning enclosure type and box orientation totally changes the systems response.
Just get out in the garage and have fun bro!

Coreybruner

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 30, 2021
Sacramento

Aero port ?

Reactions: needmowatts

Coreybruner

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 30, 2021
Sacramento
oops hit reply button too soon this advice is the best you could possibly follow if I build a ported enclosure I'm always going to do the rear entry panel in a gasket style like a car engine block with heavy bolts to seal it up Rock solid but the option to take the panel off so I can get to the aeroport and change the tube length inside of box.
It's pretty amazing the difference that tuning can make in the vehicle and this is the easiest way to change it without having to redo your setups that's why I don't do slot Port boxes you can't adjust them.
I have been really surprised just tinkering with various builds and how changing the tuning enclosure type and box orientation totally changes the systems response.
Just get out in the garage and have fun bro!
I was thinking about doing slot port until recently your setup sounds nice what ar you using for a gasket?

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
what ar you using for a gasket?
Closed cell foam weatherstripping should be adequate for testing purposes as is "caulking rope". Really even snug fitting panels, screws, and some gorilla tape should give you a good indication of what your response will be.
For best results you probably want to glue everything solid after you've made up your mind.

Coreybruner

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 30, 2021
Sacramento
When you say "caulking rope" you mean just a bead of caulking right?
If the larger recommendation of a sealed box is 1.5cuft and the smaller size for a ported box is 1.5cuft how much spl difference between the two would be ? Because building a sealed box is so hassle free

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL

I have quite a few actually. A lot of SQ guys tune in the mid to high 20's too, idk why you do that lol. Nothing wrong with tuning low.

Reactions: needmowatts

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
@hispls , they have competitions where you get more points the lower of the frequency you play. I just tuned a box to about 23-24 hz (by request). Tuning to the mid-high 30's can be peaky. It just depends on what the person wants. Idc where people want their boxes tuned, I just do what they want based off music response. Also, very rarely do I tune a box low and have people not like it. Low as in like 32 hz or so. I find a lot of people are not aware how much low end response that they are missing out on. It just depends on the user.

JulesH

10+ year member
Oct 23, 2004
VA
A large ported enclosure is what I would use for spl/sq. Tuned low. This will give you a flat response and higher output than sealed. Figure out the largest enclosure you can fit, then do the port so it is tuned low. I am tuned at 28hz. My box is over 3 cubes. Slot port boxes arent too hard to build.

Here is my box's curve.

image hosting website

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
Most enjoyable tuning I had was 38-40hz. My preference is rock & old school rap while hitting the occasional Spl number. And that tuning was what my cabin liked.
The lower tunings are all well and good but slowed/rebassed crap gets old. I'm not a fan of modern rap either.
Hell... Im cruising around with a deck powering front door cheapo coax atm.
Different folks = different goals I guess.
Maybe someday I'll throw this Blaupunkt sub in there, but im not really missing the lows yet.

Coreybruner

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 30, 2021
Sacramento
A large ported enclosure is what I would use for spl/sq. Tuned low. This will give you a flat response and higher output than sealed. Figure out the largest enclosure you can fit, then do the port so it is tuned low. I am tuned at 28hz. My box is over 3 cubes. Slot port boxes arent too hard to build.

Here is my box's curve.

image hosting website

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds