Installing Stock 2013 Corolla S Head Unit into a Mitsubishi Outlander

The little snickers are probably the most helpful, thanks guys.

I came here to see if people who know more about this then me can offer any help, if you're gonna act like a child, don't bother posting.

The Canadian comment is pretty legit though, we make **** work, so if it's possible, it'll get done.

I'm not an idiot, dispite what some of you are implying.

I appreciate the helpful tips the rest of you have. The back of the unit looks pretty simple, honestly. I can probably find a wiring diagram somewhere to help me out.

You have to understand this is a pretty horrible idea to everyone in here. There are features that the stock radio wont have, and may have some that wont be compatible, (if it has factory navigation that you think will transfer over, theres probably more to it). Its probably not going to look right sitting there if it even fits. You will have to make this completely custom fit to make this work, and its just not worth trying to save a few bucks to people in here.

The best comparison I can make to this is, You want to make a pizza and all you have is mayonnaise. It might be good enough to kind of work, but its really not a good idea to try...

Or maybe you walk in to a shoe store, and pick the first pair that looks like "they might fit" without ever trying them on.

That said, You are going to need the connector/plug/harness off the back of the head unit. Then get a radio harness that fits your vehicle, and match up the wires just like you would an aftermarket. As far as physically fitting, Its designed for the dash/bezel/face of the original vehicle. Aftermarkets have the same general design so they can be universal. Its almost guaranteed its not going to look right. You will probably need to custom design a mount to make it fit (some plastic side adapters or a bracket, considering NONE EXIST). It may be too long, and your opening may not be deep enough in the first place. Just the thought of doing this for the reason you are doing it is what is silly, and a giant waste of time and money.

Now after having said the rest of it, everyone gave you the right answer, but they just cut to the chase. They were having a little fun at your expense, but it sounds like you're getting butt-hurt because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

It doesn't really have anything to do with me getting butt-hurt, I'm not about to get worked up and upset because people decide to be 'no-men'. I wasn't looking for any particular answers, but I know the odds of this being impossible are pretty low.

There's plenty of room for the unit to fit since it's shallower than the current aftermarket, so that's good.

I'm a welder/fabricator/blacksmith, so I can make any custom brackets I need, I'll just copy something similar to the aftermarket unit I have now, and I'll try to see if I can use the wires from it as well if I need to do any splicing with a Toyota harness or something.

I found the pinouts for what look like the main connections, so I have the information for the power sources, all the speaker outputs, etc, the navigation, auxillary, backup camera and satellite radio (and/or anything else) all have separate connectors like most vehicles seem to have.

So it's really not that I'm getting upset about not getting the answer I'm looking for, is just that the people who are sitting at their desks snickering seem to know a hell of a lot less than the people who are actually trying to be helpful.

I may not know a lot specifically about this stuff, but I know how to do research and I came here to supplement what I'm finding out from other sources, not to have people who don't know better repeat the same stuff rudely.

Thank you for the explainable, and I totally get where everyone is coming from. I just find some comments unnecessary. Just chirping because they want to chirp.

Thank you for the link, smichael85, looks like there's a lot of good information in there to reference to. That'll be a big help!

Hey, guys! I got a really good price on a nice double-din head unit from a Corolla. I'm going to assume I'll need some new wiring harnesses to make it fit into my Outlander. The Outlander had an aftermarket Clarion unit in I now that got its touchscreen shattered.The Corolla one is much nicer anyway and actually has physical knobs and buttons.

I'm wondering if it's common to pull a stock head unit and put it into another vehicle, and if so, I'm wondering if there's a resource available that will help me get all the proper connections.

I'm assuming I'll be able to hook up my SiriusXM antenna, I think I need a microphone for the Bluetooth calling and I think there should be a way to get an auxiliary input, unless it has Bluetooth media as well.

Any insights or experience on your end would be amazing, I'm going on pretty blind. I'm savvy in general with electrical and mechanical things, but all the plug-ins are a little daunting.

I can post a picture of it tomorrow if it'll help.

Thanks!
I think it’s very doable especially since you have the Toyota harness ..as long as neither deck used an external amplifier and they both are standard double din size ..it should work fairly simple ..I’d get and aftermarket plug for your factory radio and if available to make it more of a cake walk on the install check to see if you can get a reverse toyota harness for the corolla deck ..I know they had these back in the day ..we would use the Toyota Alpine in dash decks with 3 disc changer in other vehicles ..that was technology back then lol ..but back to yours if they have the reverse harness it would be just matching color to color on the harness ..the xm antenna should be the same plug ..you’ll have to switch your subscription I’d to the Toyota and you may have to use an antenna adapter ..but they both may be standard Motorola type antenna plugs ..good luck in the conversion

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.