Installing Stock 2013 Corolla S Head Unit into a Mitsubishi Outlander

Hey, guys! I got a really good price on a nice double-din head unit from a Corolla. I'm going to assume I'll need some new wiring harnesses to make it fit into my Outlander. The Outlander had an aftermarket Clarion unit in I now that got its touchscreen shattered.

The Corolla one is much nicer anyway and actually has physical knobs and buttons.

I'm wondering if it's common to pull a stock head unit and put it into another vehicle, and if so, I'm wondering if there's a resource available that will help me get all the proper connections.

I'm assuming I'll be able to hook up my SiriusXM antenna, I think I need a microphone for the Bluetooth calling and I think there should be a way to get an auxiliary input, unless it has Bluetooth media as well.

Any insights or experience on your end would be amazing, I'm going on pretty blind. I'm savvy in general with electrical and mechanical things, but all the plug-ins are a little daunting.

I can post a picture of it tomorrow if it'll help.

Thanks!

No this is not common. You are the first person I have ever heard of doing this. You can buy a new head unit for $10. You can get new double dins for less than $100, I really don't see why anyone would want to do this. I have had mid 90s bmws that had lock codes on the factory stereo, Do you know if this has one? Is there any special reason other than saving a few bucks? Do you know what exact vehicle this came out of, (could you get the vin number and a copy of the title if needed)? Is there a chance it could be stolen and/or locked? Even a double din, may not fit into your vehicle. There are adapters and considering they designed it for that original vehicles space it may not fit in yours.

I would make sure it works, and doesn't have a lock code on it before I did anything with it.

horrible idea. They dont make conversion kits at all, best you get to do is ghetto splice the rear wiring and thats a major no no. Shoulda just asked before you wasted money on the corolla head unit.

if you got a wire pigtail coming from the back of the corolla hu look up the wire diagram for that model stereo, then just buy a wiring kit for you car and wire it to the diagram for the corolla stereo

I liked the look of this unit and the price was right. I really doubt it's stolen because he met up with me in the car it was taken from.

I didn't think it would be a big deal. He told me the local car audio place would have the wires for it, I didn't think it would've been a big deal, it seems like a pretty straight forward process, really. I guess I assumed there would be adapters to convert OEM units to the AEM connectors. The broken unit I have now it's aftermarket, so I figured it would have some kind of universal adapters already.

I didn't expect there to be many hoops to jump through.

nah no car audio shops will have the multi pin connector to go into the back of a corolla stereo, your best bet at this point would be a junkyard since im pretty sure you would have to buy a large expensive harness from toyota then cut the radio portion off just to make it work. So the radio you bought doesn't have any wires and just an empty socket then? correct?

He told me the local car audio place would have the wires for it... lol

It's got all kinds of empty sockets.

Most of them are only a couple pins, there's a few that have more.

I can post pictures when I get home.

Money/time best spent somewhere else IMO... wow

I liked the look of this unit and the price was right. I really doubt it's stolen because he met up with me in the car it was taken from.I didn't think it would be a big deal. He told me the local car audio place would have the wires for it, I didn't think it would've been a big deal, it seems like a pretty straight forward process, really. I guess I assumed there would be adapters to convert OEM units to the AEM connectors. The broken unit I have now it's aftermarket, so I figured it would have some kind of universal adapters already.

Doesn’t matter if it’s stolen or not most newer cars decks are vin locked even my 03 Silverado basic CD player was and to put it in a different Silverado same years I would have to unlock the deck with obd

He told me the local car audio place would have the wires for it... lol I didn't expect there to be many hoops to jump through.

It's got all kinds of empty sockets.

Most of them are only a couple pins, there's a few that have more.

I can post pictures when I get home.

Money/time best spent somewhere else IMO... wow
It’s not his fault he doesn’t know, he’s Canadian the rig vehicles together all day every day

I liked the look of this unit and the price was right. I really doubt it's stolen because he met up with me in the car it was taken from.I didn't think it would be a big deal. He told me the local car audio place would have the wires for it, I didn't think it would've been a big deal, it seems like a pretty straight forward process, really. I guess I assumed there would be adapters to convert OEM units to the AEM connectors. The broken unit I have now it's aftermarket, so I figured it would have some kind of universal adapters already.

now you find out that people will say anything to make a sale. Consider it a life lesson learned. Hope you didnt pay any more than 20 dollars for that head unit.

Wiring will definitely be a challenge if it's even possible. If you're dead set on trying, I'd try to get into a you-pick bone yard, pull the deck out of one and cut the cables as far down as you can so you can at least have the molex plugs with some wires hanging off, then you can try to get the wiring harness to fit your car. Mind you Toyota has a couple different sound system options so you'll need to make sure you get the right one for your head unit.

Also while mounting brackets are pretty standard double DIN the shape is unusual and doubtful it'll fit clean in your dash, definitely won't fit the opening in your standard aftermarket dash adapter kit.

OP, did you even get the harness/plug off the back of the head unit? You are going to need one of those. If you don't have that, right there it means spending money and time to get that piece alone. If you haven't cut your losses on this yet, you really should.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.