Installing 2 amps for the first time even could use advice

1rishmike

Ohio
OK I have a Fosgate 2 channel (500x1D) amp for the sub, and a Fosgate 300x4 4 channel for my 4 mids.

I have read about the distribution block so I can run power cable but I am not sure about RCA cable. Can I "jump" cable from one amp to another or do I need to run all those cable?

I also read a capacitor might be better than using a distribution block, not sure though.

My head unit is a basic JVC KDR775S w/ 6-channel preamp outputs

Before hand I want to thank this forum, I am learning SO MUCH!!!!

A distribution block will work for power wire... but U want your RCA from the radio to each amp so you can control the HPF and LPF...

if the amp is 500x1 it’s not a 2ch, it’s a 1ch.

Whenever your hooking up 2 amps, you have to think of the best way to wire it obviously, but honestly, you could run 2 seperate power wires to your amps. They are both relatively low amps and don't really have a large amoumt of power to draw. And also take into consideration the ohms your speakers demand. But, i would get 2 660 watt power wire kits from walmart to power them both. And with your rca cables, you run one from your head unit to an amp that has input AND an output for the rca's. Then run the other set of rcas from the first amp to the second. And honestly i wouldn't worry about running a cap till you start talking big boy speakers like jlw7s or anything running 1 ohm with 1000+ watts. Any decent alternator can push that set up without dimming lights

yes, you need to run the 6 channels from the front to the rear

signals need to be separated (unless we're talking about some digital signals)

power can be on the same bus provided it can carry the current

One power supply wire of at min of 2ga Id recommend with an Inline ANL fuse of 150, to a fused distro block(1-0-4 ga in and two 4ga out min) and Id run a single 2ga ground to a solid block of (0=4 ga in and two 4 ga out) to be able to hook up a ground easily to both amps as well as the distro supply block.You will need RCAs one set of 2rca for the low/sub out on the HU and either two sets of 2 rcas or one set of 4 rcas for your front and rear(or mids and highs) for the 4 ch amp.All wiring to speakers from amps directly to sub from sub amp and 4 ch to speakers.Out of distro supply block, you can use 4 ga min for each amp..best keep it as min length as possible.Like 2'-0 or less.same length on the ground wire as well.You will be just fine with 2 ga supply on those two amps..You may be able to get by with 4ga, but 2ga would be ideal or go all out and do 0ga for supply wiring.I recommend you do the Big 3 also the same size as your supply wiring at min.I used 2ga in my CRV and had no issues with plenty of supply for my needs.I dont recommend a capacitor.They drain quickly and generally Jolt too much to maintain supply, and could possibly damage an amp due to not maintaining supply needs.Better to do that Big 3 instead.The Caps are pretty useless unless you spend for the Lithium banks that are and can get expensive that work well.A secondary battery is usually much better in results and have power on tap for your supply needs if needed.But Big 3 and a good 750 cca battery on the wattage you are running you should be just fine imo/experience with a 100 amp alt

Dont use CHEAP Distro Blocks..Spend the money on good well made blocks such as XS-Scorpian/Stinger,Cheap ones usually get too hot and melt and will ground out and possibly damage your amps.well worth the $30 bucks

Ground block =https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xscorpion-GDB10248G-Gold-Power-Ground-Distribution-Block/142590644428?epid=1400261737&hash=item21331090cc:g:5fcAAOSwjvJZTU1q

Power distro block-https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STINGER-SHD820-HPM-SERIES-MANL-MIDI-FUSED-POWER-DISTRIBUTION-BLOCK-CHROME/201766712538?hash=item2efa3bb4da:g:m5gAAOSwjDZYZmzd

At battery-https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-SPD5201-Inline-Fuse-Holder-ANL-Style-1-0-4-8-Gauge-In-Out-Pro-Series/252517821085?hash=item3acb3c2a9d:g:62YAAOSwFdtXxIRj

Just the blocks I use and recommend that have never failed me over the years

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-SI4412-Audio-RCA-Interconnect-Cable-4-Channels-4000-Series-12-ft-Stereo/251200191474?epid=1200233595&hash=item3a7cb2bbf2:g:FQ4AAOxyVLNS6Tct

Not knowing what vehicle..17"0 may be better for you or 20'-0 for the 4 ch amp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-SI4212-12-ft-of-2-Channel-4000-Series-RCA-Audio-Interconnect-Cable/302120994864?hash=item4657d08830:g:UIQAAOSwys5WUGZW&vxp=mtr for the sub amp.

I use the Zero Sound that isnt made any more.A bit more expensive than what you need. Mine are in the category of the 8000/9000 series .these will be fine for you.Others state Walmart brand such as Sosh. brand. Soundquest is a Stinger entry level brand also that you may be able to find 17'0 lengths rather than 20'-0.Ive never had any issues with Stinger products over the years/never failed me thus far

Thanks fellas!!

So I have a JVC KDR775s, with a sub, front and rear pre outs so use these instead of pass thru, at least from what I have read.

So from the back of the head unit I have 1 set of RCA to the sub amp (Fosgate 500x1) and 2 sets on the front and rear running to the 4 channel (Fosgate 300x4) correct?

Thanks fellas!!
So I have a JVC KDR775s, with a sub, front and rear pre outs so use these instead of pass thru, at least from what I have read.

So from the back of the head unit I have 1 set of RCA to the sub amp (Fosgate 500x1) and 2 sets on the front and rear running to the 4 channel (Fosgate 300x4) correct?
Yes .. That is correct

Thanks fellas!!

or https://www.ebay.com/itm/STINGER-SI4620-4000-SERIES-6-CHANNEL-RCA-INTERCONNECT-CABLE-20-FEET-FT-STEREO/162130703934?epid=1400184320&hash=item25bfbe363e:g:H9UAAOSwEjFXgDHx

Whenever your hooking up 2 amps, you have to think of the best way to wire it obviously, but honestly, you could run 2 seperate power wires to your amps. They are both relatively low amps and don't really have a large amoumt of power to draw. And also take into consideration the ohms your speakers demand. But, i would get 2 660 watt power wire kits from walmart to power them both. And with your rca cables, you run one from your head unit to an amp that has input AND an output for the rca's. Then run the other set of rcas from the first amp to the second. And honestly i wouldn't worry about running a cap till you start talking big boy speakers like jlw7s or anything running 1 ohm with 1000+ watts. Any decent alternator can push that set up without dimming lights
Running two separate wires all the way back is really not the best way to do it, and would definitely cost more. But you want him to chain off amps when he has the channels in the head unit?

Thanks fellas!!

Great TY! As long as it does not cause issues using it on two amps I may try it.
Dumb question maybe, does the remote turn on have to be an actual turn on cable? Can I jump it so I have only 1 running to my head unit from 2 amps?
As for the RCA cables, if you have the channels in your head unit then use them. If you chain the RCA cables off your other amp, using the pass-thru, then you wont be able to adjust any of the settings that your head unit offers. IMO its really only a good thing to do when you are using 2 subwoofer amps, running more amplifiers then your head unit has channels to do it, or if your second pair of RCAs aren't long enough and its just a temporary solution, but that's me.

As for the remote wire; I have read a lot of false information on whether or not you should do this. If you try to run too much off the remote wire you can burn up your head unit, (according to the manuals). What you would need to do is find out what the ratings are for your head unit remote wire (which may be in your manual, you may want to call the manufacturer), and find out how much each amp needs (again which may be in your manual, or you could contact the manufacturer), not sure if you could check that one amplifier at a time with a multimeter. Many people on here will just say your fine and go ahead and do it, but they're not the ones out if your head unit is ruined or you try to pull much through remote wire and fry something. THE CORRECT WAY to do it is to run a relay and that will give you all the power you need for all your remote lines. Running 2 maybe 3 amps is usually okay.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.