Installed new alt isnt charging

another question guys when I installed the alt just to check it I left my original pos run on there i think its 8 guage you think that could have done something.

Disconnecting the batteries while the car is running to test alternator output is not a smart idea if you car was built after about 1990. Just FYI.

Check the fuse for the wire that plugs into the alt. I blew mine and I was getting 12.3 voltage with the car on or off.
are you talking about the pin connector or the 8 guage power between batt and alt.Also I got it checked yesterday and the alt is fine so its something in the wiring causing it to not charge at 14.4

Heres an idea put your old alt back in. If your car runs as it should then your new alt is a POS and needs to be returned if it dosnt work then you messed something up when replacing it. Theres no sense in trying to find a problem that you arnt even sure exists.

lol its funny you say that the old alt is junk now somehow seized up. I had the alt put on a machine and it ran good at 14.3-14.4 so it must be the wiring.Im going to put it on again tommorow it was snowing today.Does anyone know if install it and turn car on and unplug clip will it still work.

alright guys reinstalled new alt after getting it checked on a machine.The guy said itwas fine so I brought i home put it on and nothing again.Is it possible that the alt would do fine out of the car apposed to being in the car.I also left the 4 pin plug unhooked when i started it to see if it would change and still 12.1.Then hooked it up and nothing I am getting tired of messing with this can someone please help.

you should all be idling at 14-14.6.........

wrong...... lets just throw an example out for you. 02 sunfire idles at 600 rpm 5 different brand ho alts its 13.1 at idle. any gas its 14+. depending on how they choose to increase the alts output depends on how soon its decides to engage.

alright guys reinstalled new alt after getting it checked on a machine.The guy said itwas fine so I brought i home put it on and nothing again.Is it possible that the alt would do fine out of the car apposed to being in the car.I also left the 4 pin plug unhooked when i started it to see if it would change and still 12.1.Then hooked it up and nothing I am getting tired of messing with this can someone please help.
Just a quick note, my mechman alt was like this. If I disconnected the harness, I would only get around 12.5 volts...it wasn't till I connected the harness that the alt would go to 14.8 volts. It might be something wrong with your harness or something, or whatever interfaces with that harness to tell your alt what to do.

Hopefully this helps in some way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Just a quick note, my mechman alt was like this. If I disconnected the harness, I would only get around 12.5 volts...it wasn't till I connected the harness that the alt would go to 14.8 volts. It might be something wrong with your harness or something, or whatever interfaces with that harness to tell your alt what to do.
Hopefully this helps in some way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Yes Im thinking thats what it is have narrowed it down to the harness and maybe a fuse.Someone said to check the starter fuse but not sure the civic has one.I just dont wanna rip out the whole harness to figure it out.Is it okay to start and run the car with the harness unplugged

wrong...... lets just throw an example out for you. 02 sunfire idles at 600 rpm 5 different brand ho alts its 13.1 at idle. any gas its 14+. depending on how they choose to increase the alts output depends on how soon its decides to engage.
For a REAL high output alternator, it should be 14+ regardless of car type. I get 14+ down to 500 rpm. Now, at 100-0 rpm, I get 13.1 but thats different. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

shoulda got a mechman or a dc power alt
great idle alts
X2.

Yes Im thinking thats what it is have narrowed it down to the harness and maybe a fuse.Someone said to check the starter fuse but not sure the civic has one.I just dont wanna rip out the whole harness to figure it out.Is it okay to start and run the car with the harness unplugged
I wouldn't do it...it'd mean your alt is only charging your battery at 12.1 volts, the alternator also probably wouldn't supply the amperage for all your accessories either.

still havent figured it out alt is not charging.checked all fuses and tried some testing with the harness and still nothing.Now the car wont start so Im taking it to a shop to see whats wrong.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.