big 3 power to alt wire why why bigger

Participant count
  • Participant list

jdmferio13
10+ year member

feayfm
Central,PA
Im just wondering how big a difference bigger wire from alt to batt makes.I just spent like 2 weeks trying to figure out why my new ho alt doesnt work.well today somehow it works.when i start the car it sits at like 12.6-12.7 and then goes up to a max of 13.2.all grounds are upgraded except the alt to batt its like 10-8 guage.I have a 200 amp alt would it raise the voltage that much

Im just wondering how big a difference bigger wire from alt to batt makes.I just spent like 2 weeks trying to figure out why my new ho alt doesnt work.well today somehow it works.when i start the car it sits at like 12.6-12.7 and then goes up to a max of 13.2.all grounds are upgraded except the alt to batt its like 10-8 guage.I have a 200 amp alt would it raise the voltage that much
Probably not. In a parallel circuit, the voltage should be equal throughout the circuit. Unless you have a heavy draw and that wire is really resisting, upgrading it will not raise your idle voltage. (This is, if you mean the voltage is that low without heavy bass and high current draw.)

If you're meaning the voltage is low under heavy current draw, then larger wire can certainly help your voltage stay higher.

umm if you have 10 to 8 awg wire on you alt you are losing voltage. I myself upgraded the grounds to 0 awg on top of what is already there. And a 4 awg wire from alt charging stud to pos terminal and i gained .3 volts. Went from 14.2 to 14.5 on average.

I will upgrade i think my batts were just drained and are slowly getting back up there.They were without an alt for a week.I started and had key turned over a bunch of times so maybe thats the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.