I'm new and looking for advice based on my budget.

Battery----4guagewire----(into>)--dist. block==(2 8 guage out)==(one 8 to one amp another 8 to the other amp)Remote wire------------------(straight to the remote input on your amps)

Rca's--------------------------(straight to your amps)

Ground Wire -----to chassis(frame or sheet metal of the car)
This helped me tons, but I was just wondering.

RCA's and remote wire... they go from the HU to the amps, correct?

And you said it gets a bit more complicated for the speakers... is that something I should let a professional install?

This helped me tons, but I was just wondering.
RCA's and remote wire... they go from the HU to the amps, correct?

And you said it gets a bit more complicated for the speakers... is that something I should let a professional install?
You could definitely do that - however, if you feel up to a bit of work, you can make your own fiberglass panels, or you could do some cutting and make a bigger slot, out of the current smaller slot.

Check out the guide for the kick panels - http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38665

If you go that route, read through it carefully. Something you could do from the picture is cut out the little pocket area (bottom left, third picture), and mount a panel there with the speakers.

Also, yes, RCA's and remote wire go from the HU to the amps, and also - run them AWAY from the power wires. 18 inches away minimum, at least until you get to the amp. Otherwise, you get interference.

Speakers aren't complicated.. At least not overly so. All you'll be doing is running the wires from the amplifier + and - to the speakers. The manner of doing so is the more difficult part. How you want to hide the wires, whether you want to take them through the actual spots in the doors where the current wires are, it's all going to determine the difficulty.

Alright, honestly, after hearing everything, I think it would probably be a bit simpler for me, as a newbie, to just pay to have my stuff installed professionally. I asked my dad about it, and he said that "a lot of places do not install the equipment unless you buy it from them."

Is this true or is he just trying to discourage me from buying online?

Honestly, any shop should install the stuff. I doubt they'd be THAT picky. Maybe a bit annoyed, but they'll take the money for the installation anyways. Just might cost you a slight bit more than if you had bought their stuff. But that's easily made up by saving money on the orders, imo.

However, I'd take a second opinion on it before setting anything in stone.

The only thing I'd say you'd need done professionally is the installing of the speakers and the running of the wires for them. The rest is simple enough - even though it sounds complicated.

See, I thought the same thing.

My side of the argument was that the money that i'll be charged for installation will still be cheaper than if I bought all the items in their store and got free installation. I think i'm going to the store tomorrow to talk to someone about everything and get their prices and opinions, but I value all of your opinions more than my dad's, because you obviously know more about the stuff.

By the way, i'm still looking for some suggestions as far as an amp and two 12" subs go. =]

EDIT: And this may be a long shot, but is anyone here from Long Island? And if so, have you ever been to Sound Trax in Centereach? I was just wondering if I could/should get my stuff installed there, or if anyone has any history doing business with them. Or Avenue Sound in Patchogue?

Okay, here's the deal. Would I be better off just getting a 5 1/4" set of speakers rather than a 6.5"?

Like, will I really be able to fit a 6.5" speaker in this door?

838925small3.jpg

Maybe I should just get 5.25 instead of paying all that extra for installation. Perhaps I could get a 5 1/4" component set, and then the kicker amp and get the subs and other amp now instead of waiting?

EDIT: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5241

What about those?

what kind of car is that again? also since you already have an aftermarket HU in there you won't need a kit or probably even the harness. you could go that route if you wanted to on the speakers it would save you a lil money. but even if you go with the 5.25s you'd still have to run the wires from the speakers to the amp. either way you decide to go it would still work out.

take a list of all the stuff you planned on getting show it to the stereo shop and see if what they say. if the recommend other stuff get a list of it first and a quote and then come here and let us take a look at it. with tomorrow being black friday maybe they'll have a good sale going on.

That's true. The reason I was afraid of the 6.5"s was because I don't know if they'll fit in the door, and it might be a pricey installation.

The car is a 1994 BMW 325i Sedan. I think the speakers in the doors right now are 5.25"s, so no cutting would be required to install new ones.

Should I go tomorrow and tell him exactly what parts I am interested in, or just tell him i'd like a head-unit, a component set, 2 amps and 2 subs and see what he recommends?

Also, how much would installation cost if I got the 5.25"s, because they wouldn't require any cutting, whereas the 6.5"s would've? Or better yet, if I just got all the stuff I mentioned, and asked them to install everything, how much would that be?

do both. we all know the stuff you have listed right now is "GOOD" stuff and if he starts out saying they are all junk then we'll know what kind of business he runs. everyone's rates are different so i'm not sure what they'll charge for the install. i'd say base the rates off of like bb or cc or seomthing similar.

Alright, sounds good.

By the way, it says on their 'deals' page:

"With mention of this page:

All Subwoofers - Buy one at regular price Get One FREE!"

The site can be found here if anyone is interested.

Well, I went to the store, and this is what the guy proposed to me:

Kenwood Head Unit - $139.00

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=6339

Rockford Fosgate Component System - $113.40

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=4539

Rockford Fosgate Rear Coaxials - $65.40

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=2800

Two Kicker 12" Subwoofers and box - $275.00

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=5404

JBL 5-Channel Amplifier - $367.50

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=19892

Installation...

• Amp - $250.00
  • Speakers - $150.00
  • Head-Unit - $50.00

TOTAL PRICE WITH TAX: $1515.00 (about)

I told him some of the prices online and he said "Well, you get a free warranty, no shipping, and less installation costs if you buy from us. Plus, you know you're dealing with an authorized dealer."

The guy was somewhat young, knew what he was talking about, and seemed as though he was actually willing to give a little bit for us. He wasn't that greasy guy who forces you to spend as much as you can to meet his commission.

But yeah, opinions please.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.