I'm new and looking for advice based on my budget.

I understand all the concerns but he's friends with authorized dealers so he gets everything just above cost. Then he turns around a makes something like $30 per item so he passes the warranty and the cheaper cost of the item on to you. I wouldn't beable to afford the nice stuff I'm getting for myself my brother and my dad otherwise. Personally I'm spending a couple grand with the guy because I know he's legit and in talking to him and seeing how passionate he is about car audio made me go with him. Personally I just wanted to see roper get the nicest gear for his hard earned money and this was just a suggestion. Roper turned it down so it's water under the bridge, not big deal.

Thank you for understanding. I think I may have finally chosen my system by the way... (see wishlist from a few posts ago)
Yep, it'll sound good there. The BA comps will be pretty nice. Just make sure sizes are all correct.

For the subwoofer, are you going to build your own box, or have them do it? It's easy to do if you want to do it yourself. I'd recommend not getting a prefabricated box. It'll be a bit more expensive, you'll have to add on the cost of them building a box, (unless they include that in the installation fees), if they do it though.

Now, I'm off to get my system put together. Going with the rainbow components up front, my new car (had my honda accord totaled by an idiot - found a nice used Infiniti G20) already has tweeter mounts in the frame, perfect for those, and the spots down in the doors for them. Makes it really easy for me. Sticking my kenwood 6x9's for rear fill in the back, on my 4 chan amplifier (hifonics, cheap, but moderately reliable). Adding in the subwoofer later, but I'll figure on being happy with this for a while. The new car is taking away a big chunk of my funds -.-

Have to say I'll be a bit envious of you though. Especially as I had two JL 12w3's (older models, but still), but blew them -.- They sound good ^^

Awesome, sounds like a solid system Pluto. Happy to know that you think mine will be nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

As for a box... I have been talking to someone about a design, I actually just finished measuring my trunk dimensions for him. I plan on building this myself, it doesn't seem all too hard.

Are there disadvantages to having a wedge box or can they be just as good as the square boxes?

The reason I ask is because this is my trunk: (dimensions not exact, they are rounded)

608367trunk_dimensions.png

it all depends on how much air space your subs require. i usally try to make to go all the way across the width of the trunk and as tall as i can get it and try not to take up to much depth. it's also good for me because i don't run no rear fill so the bass goes through my stock 6x9 holes. and makes for making a false cover easier.

if u click on the owners manual link on page 3 it shows teh best box for that woofer. your dealer should also be able to recomend an enclosure based on wat your using for power and etc. or you could call jl and they could also help u.

Awesome, but there's a problem.

The Width of the recommended ported box is 18 in. My trunk is 33 in wide, therefore two of these boxes will be 36 in. What should I do?

you can modify the lengths and stuff to accomadate ur car. for example a 14x14x14 box is one cubic foot so is a 13x15x14 box see wat i did there?
That was a bit confusing.

One cubic foot = 12x12x12, not 14x14x14. And 13x15x14 is not the same as 14x14x14.

I mean I understand that you can modify the dimensions to keep volume the same, but the example that you said wasn't the same volume...

Basically, keep the same volume, dimensions don't need to be exact.

So, one cubic foot, find an equivalent volume of that that fits the trunk for both subs - within reason, don't want some convoluted box.

Pretty simple.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.