I'm cookin' batteries...

basswiigee

CarAudio.com Veteran
MICHIGAN
ok, so in the last 6mths i've internally cooked a die hard plat. agm and 2 y.t. optima's... but my factory battery run's my system fine? I have a 05 cobalt and upon further research found that the ecotec has some sort of voltage regulator that doesn't run 14.4, it adjusts to save gas, average about 13.8, is there a way to bypass the regulator or should i just run my stock battery? theres no way my stock battery should be better than these agms, and my alternator tested great...

anybody had this issue?

ok, so in the last 6mths i've internally cooked a die hard plat. agm and 2 y.t. optima's... but my factory battery run's my system fine? I have a 05 cobalt and upon further research found that the ecotec has some sort of voltage regulator that doesn't run 14.4, it adjusts to save gas, average about 13.8, is there a way to bypass the regulator or should i just run my stock battery? theres no way my stock battery should be better than these agms, and my alternator tested great...anybody had this issue?
yes get a ho alt with a external voltage regulator..my impala had same crap

If you were sending them over voltage you would be cooking them, and I assure you you'd notice because they would literally start boiling.

You should consider an outboard voltage regulator. Someone on this forum had one for sale at a great price a month or so ago.

Well I bet the issue is this you run the batts til their dead not over charge more like under charged but not cause your car charges 13.8 thats perfectly fine. You probably never charge them and beat the hell out of your systwm alot or at least enough to drain the batts and never properly charge them back up

dude @ advanced, [i know] said its cooking the internals, i only got a stock 140a alternator, and they are still holding a charge, but won't start the car... throw the stock in it starts right up, thought the first one was just defective but not 3 in a row... and if they were just dead couldn't they be charged? they said defective unable to charge...

Well I bet the issue is this you run the batts til their dead not over charge more like under charged but not cause your car charges 13.8 thats perfectly fine. You probably never charge them and beat the hell out of your systwm alot or at least enough to drain the batts and never properly charge them back up
i agree but look at what i'm running, do i really need to charge the battery for a hifonics that i get maybe 1600w out of? i only have one battery... thought that was the alternators job... lol i know i'm gonna take some sh¡t for this post

dude @ advanced, [i know] said its cooking the internals, i only got a stock 140a alternator, and they are still holding a charge, but won't start the car... throw the stock in it starts right up, thought the first one was just defective but not 3 in a row... and if they were just dead couldn't they be charged? they said defective unable to charge...
Look to cook the internals of a 12 volt battery you would need to be charging 16+ volts the battery would be buldging on the sides smoke would be coming from it if none of that Is happening your not cooking batts sorry. Those are facts it takes to cook a battery and what happens.

and here's my mystery,

how can my stock battery handle it no problems and its almost 9yrs old and i've ran even more off it and its smaller and still no problems... i know the agm is better, why more problems....

Look to cook the internals of a 12 volt battery you would need to be charging 16+ volts the battery would be buldging on the sides smoke would be coming from it if none of that Is happening your not cooking batts sorry. Those are facts it takes to cook a battery and what happens.
ok bro, i understand but i'm no battery wiz, i just know what the jackazz @ advanced told me but somethings wrong and i'm getting defect codes on all agms...

I'd be lucky if my xB got into the 14s (usually right around 13.7-13.8). Might have hit the 14s twice in the last 2 years and I've had zero issues. Maybe there's something else causing it?

I'd be lucky if my xB got into the 14s (usually right around 13.7-13.8). Might have hit the 14s twice in the last 2 years and I've had zero issues. Maybe there's something else causing it?
i only have 1 battery....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.