Amps keep blowing up

laxer142

Hi guys, first time posting here so if this is in the wrong section let me know.

So here's my problem: I had an mtx jackhammer hooked up to an fi q 12" for about 8 months and all of a sudden the sub starts going in on itself at a stoplight. I turned down my volume and bass knob but it kept destroying itself. It was like the amp was sending some crazy signal to the sub. I had to reach behind me (I'm in a toyota tacoma access cab) and rip out the speaker wires from the amp to stop it. My sub was destroyed and the amp didn't work anymore after that.

Now, i have an alpine type x 10" hooked up to a hifonics brutus amp (ballin on a budget), and I just got home from college and the amp goes in protection mode every time I turn it on. My mother said she was driving my truck and described a similar experience to the one with my fi q and jackhammer setup. I took the RCA's & speaker wires out and it still goes into protection mode so the amp is most likely ruined. Thankfully the sub still works I think. This setup was in my car for about 6 or 7 months.

My question to you guys is: is it the amps I'm using (I do push them pretty hard every time I drive) or is it some sort of wiring mishap that is messing up my amps? Can anyone diagnose my problem? Also, what would you guys recommend for a replacement amp? I should be getting $200 soon to spend on this.

I did the big 3, hooked up a small kinetic battery in the back near the amps and have everything fused correctly (to my knowledge).

Thanks for any help!

Hi guys, first time posting here so if this is in the wrong section let me know.
So here's my problem: I had an mtx jackhammer hooked up to an fi q 12" for about 8 months and all of a sudden the sub starts going in on itself at a stoplight. I turned down my volume and bass knob but it kept destroying itself. It was like the amp was sending some crazy signal to the sub. I had to reach behind me (I'm in a toyota tacoma access cab) and rip out the speaker wires from the amp to stop it. My sub was destroyed and the amp didn't work anymore after that.

Now, i have an alpine type x 10" hooked up to a hifonics brutus amp (ballin on a budget), and I just got home from college and the amp goes in protection mode every time I turn it on. My mother said she was driving my truck and described a similar experience to the one with my fi q and jackhammer setup. I took the RCA's & speaker wires out and it still goes into protection mode so the amp is most likely ruined. Thankfully the sub still works I think. This setup was in my car for about 6 or 7 months.

My question to you guys is: is it the amps I'm using (I do push them pretty hard every time I drive) or is it some sort of wiring mishap that is messing up my amps? Can anyone diagnose my problem? Also, what would you guys recommend for a replacement amp? I should be getting $200 soon to spend on this.

I did the big 3, hooked up a small kinetic battery in the back near the amps and have everything fused correctly (to my knowledge).

Thanks for any help!
Wire sizes, amp model number, and where is the gain set?

Amps do not just destroy themselves. Sometimes they may have a defect from the factory, but that would be apparent shortly after hooking it up. You are most likely doing something wrong, if you have this problem with more than one amp.

I have 0 ga coming from the positive of the stock battery back to the positive of the kinetik HC600 powercell (both are grounded to the chasis). Then, from the kinetik power cell positive, I have 0 ga running to a distribution block, where I have 4 ga running to my monoblock subwoofer amp and 8 ga running to my 2 channel kicker zx200.2 speaker amp. The amps are under my seats and grounded to the seat bolts. I've had no problems with the kicker amp. The last amp that blew up was a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.10. Gain was set to about halfway (it goes from 9v to .2v on the amp).

i had one do this to me while driving and i had little to no bass playing. i was driving then heard some distorting then some that sounded like popcorn, then "magic smoke" came from my amp..... my problem was a bad grounding point

I have a thought going that you're gunna need a better ground.

200 possible watts ground

Big 3 completed?

Ground points sanded and clean?

Best solution I could see from here is take the ground from the seat, confirm it connects directly to chassis, ensure clean bolt down connection.

I have a thought going that you're gunna need a better ground.200 possible watts ground

Big 3 completed?

Ground points sanded and clean?

Best solution I could see from here is take the ground from the seat, confirm it connects directly to chassis, ensure clean bolt down connection.
I completed the big 3 myself, so probably not the best job but I do take pride in my work so it's pretty well done. I will definitely find a new ground/improve the existing one since that seems to be contributing to the problem. Any other suggestions? Also, any suggestions on a new amp? I've been out of the loop on new products for awhile.

i had one do this to me while driving and i had little to no bass playing. i was driving then heard some distorting then some that sounded like popcorn, then "magic smoke" came from my amp..... my problem was a bad grounding point
^^ my money's on this. That or starved for power...considering it sounds like OP pushes the amp hard. 4gauge may very well not be sufficient. It wasn't sufficient for my 1200watt amp. Straight up needed 1/0 to do 1200watts clean, it would do 1200 with 4gauge but clips bad. U prob got one of the 2 if not both situations happening.

DMM start looking at voltage at every point, I bet you will find your problem. Also take a wire brush and start polishing all your ground connections.
That is one thing I don't have experience with. Could you explain to me exactly what I am looking for when using a digital multimeter? I'll pick one up before installing a new amp but I don't know what to look for with that.

set to dc voltage, put red pin on + terminal and black pin on - terminal. It's pretty simple stuff when you get used to it. Just use whatever setting is closest to your estimated voltage. IE if there are 4 settings for DC Volts

In this hobby electrical supply is probably the best way to keep your equipment safe. Amps need power, you have to supply it, or else there will be problems. That means extra batteries, big wire, high output alternators, and good solid ground connections, and a DMM to check your levels if there are ever problems, so at least you know what to look into fixing. I could have all the batteries alts and big wire in the world, but if I got some corrosion on a ground or am using small wire for the ground my electrical is going to be limited to that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.