I want 2 12s that like a sealed box and will take 1500 watts each

However, I would like to find something/build something that would take double that...if it is even possible...
Perhaps you've heard of a fella named Hoffman and his iron law?

Seriously though, you're not getting legit 1500W power handling in 6" mounting depth period. You simply don't have enough depth for a motor that can accommodate high excursion or efficiently control a heavy coil which could hang with that much heat. If you managed to make something that could survive the power you'd lose so much efficiency you'd be better off just running 750W a pop to the IDs or some Daytons or similar.

If you must have 3000W look into multiple 8's or even 6" subwoofers (though I suspect anything 6" that'll do well is too deep). At least you have the thermal power handling angle better covered.

That all said IDQ is a great woofer and 1500 to the pair should do nicely and keep you within the realm of not needing costly electrical upgrades.

Anyway, I'd say mounting depth is just such a huge limiting factor in pickup truck you really don't even have a good option for high efficiency and low extension even if box volume permits

If you have that much room in a crew max, why not try 4 12" Tw3s? you could fit them in a 3.0cf total sealed box. I'm actually fairly happy with mine sealed in a Tundra Double Cab under the seat...

It's been a looooong time since I've delved into CA. Many years...
Now that I finally have a vehicle to work with, I need to find my sub setup.

I am going sealed. No matter what. This is going into a Tundra Crewmax.

My "hopeful" requirements are:

-two 12s" that will take 1500 watts RMS and likes sealed boxes

-have no more than 6" mounting depth

I understand that this is a pretty tall order, but even if I need to have someone build me custom subs I am optimistic that I can make this happen....probably going to need a neo motor if I had to guess.

Any suggestions? Is PSI still the go-to guy for custom subs?
Not happening

they arent optimized for sealed at all man. None of the SSA woofers are optimized for sealed, the EBP, QTS are all off. I've tested a few ssa woofers in sealed, They are much MUCH better in a ported. As in They should never be in a sealed ever! kind of results.
There are loads of people over the years who have sealed everything from the Dcon to Xcon and have loved the results, Gcon especially.

There are loads of people over the years who have sealed everything from the Dcon to Xcon and have loved the results, Gcon especially.
the difference in performance and overall bass response from ported and sealed is astronomical for these subs. They literally feel right at home both SQ and output wise in a ported compared to a sealed. Way flatter response with better bandwidth, still amazing transients etc... For sealed other woofers outperform it. For ported, not much can beat SSA subs.

I think I'm just going to abandon all hopes and just run an RF1500BDCP to two IDQ 12s and go with a minmal port area tune of 28-30hz; I've always used aeros, so hopefully I can get two 4" to fit. The IDQs have the lowest mounting depth and take the most power out of any sub I have really considered. I'm really thinking hard about the OnCore subs too, but they are twice as much as the ID's...don't know if they justify that. I have always wanted to try some ID's anyway.

Thanks for all the help, guys! Good to see a lot of you old school members still around and cool, new(er) guys as well.

I think I'm just going to abandon all hopes and just run an RF1500BDCP to two IDQ 12s and go with a minmal port area tune of 28-30hz; I've always used aeros, so hopefully I can get two 4" to fit. The IDQs have the lowest mounting depth and take the most power out of any sub I have really considered. I'm really thinking hard about the OnCore subs too, but they are twice as much as the ID's...don't know if they justify that. I have always wanted to try some ID's anyway.
Thanks for all the help, guys! Good to see a lot of you old school members still around and cool, new(er) guys as well.
Keep in mind. The Q12 really needs almost 2 cubes per to do well with no big peak at 50hz.

Sealed boxes lose performance if you ask me. I’ve tried to like them but the output is always weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So um, before making a ridiculous comment, have you seen his truck at all? I googled it lastnight, as you should also, and OP is def tight on space. Ported isn't gonna work for him.

Is that total? like, for 2 subs? Might want 10's instead.
That's going to be total after an approximated .3 displacement for the subs. And this is just an apporximation on air space. I need to measure properly as to where I want my seat to be. The rear seats in Crewmax Tundras slide forward giving you about 8-9 inches at the base of the box if you want to move it all the way forward.

I have a thread going on one of the Tundra boards and there is a guy that just posted pics of his box. I may go this route or find another sub that will take 1000-1500W RMS with a 6-7.5" mounting depth. Hell, I can get two 10 XLs back there if he can get 3500s.

MFr6c4o.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.