I know nothing - gimme some help here.

JaseWeis

Absolute Newbie
Well, I'm just you're average 17 year old honestly. I got my license about a month ago, and I drive a '99 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Base model. When we got it, we noticed that the door speakers and the really mediocre quality Tweeters did not play. Eventually, while looking under the hood, we noticed the fuse and power wires, and just recently while looking to make sure my spare tire and jack are in good condition, we noticed the wires in the back of the car. As of today, while tracing the fuse wire back to the car, I found what looks to be some sort of Electric Control box or something (Seriously, really ignorant on this subject). I'll add pictures of everything I've mentioned below this was a title of what it is, but I need some help.

PIC ORDER -

Engine Bay, Fuse, Electronic Box Thingy, Hatch Wires Overview, Fuses in Hatch, Right Side of Wires in Hatch, Left Side of Wires in Hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd image is a fuse holder, which is done close to the battery to protect the rest of the wire. From looking at it, this looks to be an 8awg wire. I think it can do fine for a 500W system or so.

3rd image is a crossover. You plug in the woofer and the tweeter into it and it separates which frequencies go to the tweeter and which to the woofer.

5th image is a fused distribution block. What it does is take the bigger power wire (black one in your case) coming from the battery and splits it into multiple smaller wires so you can connect multiple amps to it. Are you trying to upgrade or looking to fix this?

I see this is a diamond audio crossover. They make some pretty good speakers.

2nd image is a fuse holder, which is done close to the battery to protect the rest of the wire. From looking at it, this looks to be an 8awg wire. I think it can do fine for a 500W system or so. 3rd image is a crossover. You plug in the woofer and the tweeter into it and it separates which frequencies go to the tweeter and which to the woofer.

5th image is a fused distribution block. What it does is take the bigger power wire (black one in your case) coming from the battery and splits it into multiple smaller wires so you can connect multiple amps to it. Are you trying to upgrade or looking to fix this?

D6 subs are pretty sweet

2nd image is a fuse holder, which is done close to the battery to protect the rest of the wire. From looking at it, this looks to be an 8awg wire. I think it can do fine for a 500W system or so. 3rd image is a crossover. You plug in the woofer and the tweeter into it and it separates which frequencies go to the tweeter and which to the woofer.

Just looking around and trying to figure out everything I have currently. I'd like to get the door speaker and tweeters working some time soon, but I want atleast a tiny bit of knowledge before I go taking off panels and such to find where the issue lies.

Do you have a DMM (digital multi-meter)? First thing would be to check all the wiring, see if it's lose or disconnected. Do you know what's powering these speakers? Is there an amp you haven't found yet? lol

Looks like, at a minimum, the previous owner ripped out the front speakers amplifier, the sub amplifier and the sub. Not sure if you had/have rear speakers or not.

Do you have a DMM (digital multi-meter)? First thing would be to check all the wiring, see if it's lose or disconnected. Do you know what's powering these speakers? Is there an amp you haven't found yet? lol
That's a negative. No DMM, no clue what powers, and there is no amp after doing another search.

Looks like, at a minimum, the previous owner ripped out the front speakers amplifier, the sub amplifier and the sub. Not sure if you had/have rear speakers or not.
Yep, that was my thoughts, mainly due to the wires being there, yet being cut just short enough to perfectly fit in the hatch's panels. I do indeed have the rear speakers, though I've no clue if they're stock or not. They sound great honestly, I can hear just fine currently, though the distance means if I'm cruising down the highway with my t-tops off, I have to turn the radio up a ton.

Previous owner never mentioned any of this, but they mentioned literally everything else, and kept the engine in great shape. They were not the original owners, so I'm betting whoever had it before them did this and ripped it all out right before selling.

Anyone else got some input on what's there? Specifically, the wiring. What would each wire be? I know the wire from the battery for power, and the clear ones are speaker wire, but the black and red ones (my guess is power)? Or the blue and black ones that they had tied off? Any ideas?

Don't want to sound rude. But if you're this clueless on what you're looking at, you'll have more luck going to a shop, telling them what you want and letting them install it. Otherwise, hop on google and start doing some research and learning how everything works and figure it out. If all else fails, rip it all out and install from scratch, after more research on how to properly install a system. Asking everyone to figure out whats going on in your chopped up system from 6 pictures is just a waste of everyones time. Its not something that can easily be done through some pictures. It will take tracing out where all the wires are going and what you want for a system as to what you need to keep, modify, add, etc. Again, not being mean, just honest.

Don't want to sound rude. But if you're this clueless on what you're looking at, you'll have more luck going to a shop, telling them what you want and letting them install it. Otherwise, hop on google and start doing some research and learning how everything works and figure it out. If all else fails, rip it all out and install from scratch, after more research on how to properly install a system. Asking everyone to figure out whats going on in your chopped up system from 6 pictures is just a waste of everyones time. Its not something that can easily be done through some pictures. It will take tracing out where all the wires are going and what you want for a system as to what you need to keep, modify, add, etc. Again, not being mean, just honest.
I agree, I don't think you should be messing with this. I know where everything goes and how it should be connected - if it weren't in the car lol I still don't mess with it and take it to the shop.

Anyone with some kind of install experience can look at these pics and tell of somewhat of what these wires go to or went to.id leave it all in the back and utilize whats there for powering up the front stage/rear if need be.Adding a sub and amp to supply, Id run new supply wiring for that being added,to save some time and money.There was deff two amps installed at one time.Nothing massive due to the size of power wiring and the AGU distrobution block used as Ive used in the past decent for up to 80 amps,any more and you are pushing the limits.Should be fine for front stage and or a decent 2-4ch amp up to 60 amps fused. I did not see any RCAs in any pics..so those got removed.And I only saw one pic of one cross over for a set of components/Diamond.If you have two then you are in great shape.tweeters may or may not be Diamond,Woofers in the doors may or may not be there,and may not be Diamond,.If you pull the panels you can find that out as well the back side of the tweets.If they are all Diamond, then you have a fairly decent set of components if they are not blown.You can check that with a DMM(Digital Multi meter) easily..You have a little work to do on checking the door speakers out.Maybe half a day taking your time.best to see what you have,and check to ohms value on them /model and make to see if you can place the right power on them.Id place an amp on them, be easier in reality as power and wiring is already staged/rear ready /to supply

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.