amp quit working

Participant count
  • Participant list
my kenwood amp just quit working out of the blue. it has a green flashing light which means a speaker wire is grounded. I removed all wiring except power,ground and remote but light still flashes . I also noticed ground wire was very,very warm to the touch. I disabled amp , removed cover and couldn't find any burnt spots but noticed a capacitor I think, that was very warm also. no blown fuses. do yall think amp is ok?

Its hard to say from the information given.To know for sure, you can take it to a good known car audio shop local and have them bench test it for like $20 or so..some will not charge you.Have you checked all your runs?/connections?You could possibly have a bad fuse barely making contact also/blew but still making some kind of contact?What model is the amp?Size power wire ran to it and ground?Fused?How is your electrical ran?Ect..

You can remove the amp and test it at the battery to see if it still blinks on/off to see if you have an issue with your supply and ground wiring.Id say that the amp is no longer under warranty since you have opened it up?

I have checked several amps at the battery,power and remote tied together for the +/poss on batt (best to use an inline fuse/or wire a blade fuse for the power wire if the amp does not have an onboard fuse) If it does, change the fuse anyways may be a bad fuse,and ground to ground..You can try this method,and if she still blinks off/on than you have an issue with the amp more than likely.If solid green light/power light stays on, then there is an issue with your wiring somewhere.

Or the onboard fuse you replaced may have been bad from the beginning.If you have an onboard fuse/fuses,change them out first before going through the process above as one or the other may be bad/not making full contact

my kenwood amp just quit working out of the blue. it has a green flashing light which means a speaker wire is grounded. I removed all wiring except power,ground and remote but light still flashes . I also noticed ground wire was very,very warm to the touch. I disabled amp , removed cover and couldn't find any burnt spots but noticed a capacitor I think, that was very warm also. no blown fuses. do yall think amp is ok?
post gut pics

I did bench test it at the battery using some extra battery cable. I noticed right away the negative cable heating up my hand and a burnt smell . I disconnected immediately. it also produced the same green flashing light ,indicating ' according to manual' a grounded speaker wire.i think its shorting internally.This *****, this is a whole new system less than 6 months old.The amp is a 1200 watt kenwood excelon 5 channel. no warranty as I bought it off craigslist new still in the box.this test still didn't produce any blown fuses. stange to me. i don't really have any more ideas other than to take it somewhere or look for another amp. i went over the inside with a light and magnifying glass and still no apparent damage. money is limited at this time, so im searching craigslist. what about a power acoustic demon for 200 bucks?

I did bench test it at the battery using some extra battery cable. I noticed right away the negative cable heating up my hand and a burnt smell . I disconnected immediately. it also produced the same green flashing light ,indicating ' according to manual' a grounded speaker wire.i think its shorting internally.This *****, this is a whole new system less than 6 months old.The amp is a 1200 watt kenwood excelon 5 channel. no warranty as I bought it off craigslist new still in the box.this test still didn't produce any blown fuses. stange to me. i don't really have any more ideas other than to take it somewhere or look for another amp. i went over the inside with a light and magnifying glass and still no apparent damage. money is limited at this time, so im searching craigslist. what about a power acoustic demon for 200 bucks?
There is no telling whats wrong with that amp you have??Id stay off Craigs List buying amps unless the person selling is someone with a great knowing reputation,such as a audio shop locally that would be able to carry a warranty.There could be anything wrong with that amp,Power supply issues,Diode,transisters,I mean who can say without hands on??As for buying a new BNIB amp @$200 bucks can be had with full warranty.Or even a great reliable amp up to $250.We can suggest 5 ch amps all day long in that price range and under, but we do not know what your System consist of.That will help alot,though we can recommend towards your current amps power/ect

New Precision Power PPI BA22005 5 Channel 2200 Watt Car Audio Amplifier 5 CH Amp | eBay

Ive heard and read that several people have been happy with this series.There are several options for you on 5 ch amps in your price range.You can even find a pair of amps that will work for you also by searching,like a 4 ch, and a small sub amp that your current supply can handle.Whats does your system consist of?Power supply, vehicle,battery,speakers/sub radio ect?Give us a better understanding of helping you.You can buy a ne amp with warranty at $200 and sell your current for Repair/parts placing towards the new and be up and running again

I really appreciate everyones input. Im humbled by it. Ill look at the ppi lineup. I really don't need a 5 channel. Its what I had so I worked with it. I bridged 4 channels for my infinity reference components and used the 5th sub channel for my Rockford pro 12 inch in a ported box.head unit is a pioneer 7600 with 3 sets of preouts at 4 volts each.one set of rcas went to sub, I put a y splitter on second set that went to the bridged channels and the last set went to a small amp under my seat pushing a pair of infinity reference tweeters with built in bass blockers. it was nirvana while it lasted. I so no ill effects in any component from point a to point b for 6 or 7 months. it just quit producing.the small amp kept working. I guess I could do a 3 channel with same results idk.

Get a 5 channel for the price of a 4 channel, ppi 900.5 on amazon. You'll be happy in the future when you want to hook up more speakers or want more power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.