I immediately blew my new subs.

explain in detail how you wired up each sub
Put the jumper in the middle +/- posts. in each sub. Wired the set of outside +/- to the terminal inside the box. Connect one terminal to the other behind box. Run one set to the mono amp. Same setup as the D4's, just now a 2ohm load.

Put the jumper in the middle +/- posts. in each sub. Wired the set of outside +/- to the terminal inside the box. Connect one terminal to the other behind box. Run one set to the mono amp. Same setup as the D4's, just now a 2ohm load.
yeah, that sounds correct, unless you just accidentally reversed the polarity at the box terminal. are you absolutely sure they are blown?

stick a 9v battery to the VC's. It wont hurt it. Put the + of the battery to the + VC and vice versa with the -. If the sub is blown it won't move. If it is still good, it will push the cone up and hold there till you take the battery off.

both times, the cones stayed fully extended, and smoke came out of the vents. I assumed that meant they are blown.

I just put a battery to them and they do jump and thud a small amount. What does this mean?

You paid $700 to 2 pairs of mediocre subs?! Holy crap.... and you spent over a grand on that set-up? That was your first problem.

Secondly, it doesn't quite sound like you know what you're doing, so who knows what the issue could be. Amp could be bad sending DC current to the sub. Subs could be wired wrong. Gain set wrong. Bass boost and loudness being used?

Also, do like xsploder said and test the sub with a battery.

It is looking like when you fried the first set you may have fried something in the amp. Next time do some more research on how to properly set and connect everything before burning up some more of your cash.

sounds like the amp is shot and unloading on the sub when it powers up, even if the subs still work there not worth crap now that they rolled smoke!

If the subs fully extended and smoked....its likely your amp is damaged.

Disconnect your subs from the amp and stick a DMM set to DC-voltage on the amps speaker terminals.

If you are getting DC voltage, your amp is fried.

wouldn't hurt to hook em up to a home audio receiver and free air test them for any coil damage. Might of got lucky and caught it quick enough to still run them

You paid $700 to 2 pairs of mediocre subs?! Holy crap.... and you spent over a grand on that set-up? That was your first problem. Secondly' date=' it doesn't quite sound like you know what you're doing, so who knows what the issue could be. Amp could be bad sending DC current to the sub. Subs could be wired wrong. Gain set wrong. Bass boost and loudness being used?

Also, do like xsploder said and test the sub with a battery.[/quote']

I think slightly over a grand was more than fair for the results I was seeking. Also, just because I acted like a teenager on the gain knob, doesn't mean I 'don't know what I'm doing'. There is no bass boost, no loudness. See above for the results of the battery test.

If they were blown, they would not of even moved at all and would be stiff enough for you to stand on without moving pretty much.
We will see.

It is looking like when you fried the first set you may have fried something in the amp. Next time do some more research on how to properly set and connect everything before burning up some more of your cash.
I definitely will. I have ordered the SMD DD1, should be here on Friday. But until then, I need to make sure no more brand new subs explode upon plugging them in. What exactly could have been damaged in the amp? The PDX has a LED that is supposed to indicate any issues the amp is having, but it is lighting up blue as it should. ?

sounds like the amp is shot and unloading on the sub when it powers up, even if the subs still work there not worth crap now that they rolled smoke!
explain!

I think slightly over a grand was more than fair for the results I was seeking. Also, just because I acted like a teenager on the gain knob, doesn't mean I 'don't know what I'm doing'. There is no bass boost, no loudness. See above for the results of the battery test.
I dk, that's a pretty n00b move man. Not to mention spending over a G on Alpine stuff. No offense, just kinda n00bish

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.