I just installed all my car stereo at one time as follows:

Pioneer AVH4400BH

Alpine TypeR 6.5 comps

Alpine TypeR 6.5 coax

Kicker PKD1 0gauge kit

2x Alpine SWR-10D4

Alpine PDX-F4

Alpine PDX-M12

Sound Ordnance Bass Bunker dual vented enclosure.

Everything sounded amazing for about a week and a half then I stupidly pushed the limits of the gain on the sub amp, the subs fully extended and fried.

I thought, wow, that was dumb.

So I bought 2x SWR-10D2.

I turned the gain all the way down and unplugged the power to the sub amp. Installed them. Plugged in the power, no sound from the subs. Music playing quietly on the headunit. Unplugged the speaker connector and plugged it back in, subs immediately fully extended and fried.

What caused this?? Thanks for help in advance. I am afraid to plug anything else into the amp, I have already pissed away $700.

Pioneer AVH4400BH

Alpine TypeR 6.5 comps

Alpine TypeR 6.5 coax

Kicker PKD1 0gauge kit

2x Alpine SWR-10D4

Alpine PDX-F4

Alpine PDX-M12

Everything sounded amazing for about a week and a half then I stupidly pushed the limits of the gain on the sub amp, the subs fully extended and fried.

So I bought 2x SWR-10D2.

I turned the gain all the way down and unplugged the power to the sub amp. Installed them. Plugged in the power, no sound from the subs. Music playing quietly on the headunit. Unplugged the speaker connector and plugged it back in, subs immediately fully extended and fried.

What caused this?? Thanks for help in advance. I am afraid to plug anything else into the amp, I have already pissed away $700.
the user

well, how did you wire down the impedance on the subs? each set? second, you never turn up the gain on your subs unless you know what your doing or set it properly with a DMM or o-scope

So I bought 2x SWR-10D2.

You probably wired these D2's to .5 ohms.. and you do have a good amp.. so you were probly giving them waaay too much power, and too low of impedance for the amp also..

You gotta learn to play it safe, or just learn from mistakes (expensive mistakes in your case)

you should read the tutorial on setting amplifier gains.. also, you can probably get those subs replaced under warranty. That amp is rated at 2 ohms so you need a 2 ohm final load, meaning that if you want to run 2 type R's, you need the D2 version, but wire them to 2ohms final. You can check the impedance thread for info on how to do this.. now, when you hook all of your crap up, make sure all of the amp settings are at 0. Gain all the way down, bass boost all the way down, etc. I would even keep the filters down until you set the gain properly. Also, make sure the settings on your head unit are at 0 as well. the bass, subwoofer settings, "loudness," etc. keep them all at 0, then properly set your gains.

Well aware, Thanks.

well, how did you wire down the impedance on the subs? each set? second, you never turn up the gain on your subs unless you know what your doing or set it properly with a DMM or o-scope
The first set I had wired to 4 ohms. The new set was at 2 ohms. What would cause the second set to blow immediately, with no gain present is what I am trying to find out.

Why the helll would you turn your gain all the way up?Its not a volume knob.
I never said I turned it all the way up. Just too high.

Pioneer AVH4400BH

Alpine TypeR 6.5 comps

Alpine TypeR 6.5 coax

Kicker PKD1 0gauge kit

2x Alpine SWR-10D4

Alpine PDX-F4

Alpine PDX-M12

So I bought 2x SWR-10D2.

Why did you unplug shit with your music playing?

Well aware, Thanks.

The first set I had wired to 4 ohms. The new set was at 2 ohms. What would cause the second set to blow immediately, with no gain present is what I am trying to find out.

I never said I turned it all the way up. Just too high.
Are you absolutely sure it was wired to 2ohms final? Did you check with a DMM?

You must have accidently wired it to half ohm, because theres no way that two type R's will immediately blow off 1200rms and minimum gain. I had two type R's on 2400rms+ for like 2 years

You probably wired these D2's to .5 ohms.. and you do have a good amp.. so you were probly giving them waaay too much power, and too low of impedance for the amp also..
You gotta learn to play it safe, or just learn from mistakes (expensive mistakes in your case)
I double and triple checked the wiring, they are definitely wired at a 2 ohm load.

i bet you paid out the *** for all that on crutchfield
I paid less than 1500 for everything on eBay and amazon combined.....

you should read the tutorial on setting amplifier gains.. also, you can probably get those subs replaced under warranty. That amp is rated at 2 ohms so you need a 2 ohm final load, meaning that if you want to run 2 type R's, you need the D2 version, but wire them to 2ohms final. You can check the impedance thread for info on how to do this.. now, when you hook all of your crap up, make sure all of the amp settings are at 0. Gain all the way down, bass boost all the way down, etc. I would even keep the filters down until you set the gain properly. Also, make sure the settings on your head unit are at 0 as well. the bass, subwoofer settings, "loudness," etc. keep them all at 0, then properly set your gains.
The 'level' for the subwoofer rca out was at 1, eq was flat, no bass boost or anything on. Nothing that should blow it up immediately like it did.

Why did you unplug shit with your music playing?
Good question!

Are you absolutely sure it was wired to 2ohms final? Did you check with a DMM?
The wiring matches perfectly to that of the diagram, jumper in the middle posts, then to each other, then to amp.

You must have accidently wired it to half ohm, because theres no way that two type R's will immediately blow off 1200rms and minimum gain. I had two type R's on 2400rms+ for like 2 years
That's what I thought !

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.