How to set gain for mp3 player

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cadencefanatic

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I would like to know something about gain on an amp. I have a Sansa Clip MP3 player and I would like to know if setting the gain on my amp to max would be OK? The MP3 player itself has an output voltage of 18 mV at 16 ohms. The amp's highest gain setting is 260 mV. Would this allow any distortion to be present if I did? A lot of people say to never max out the gain on the amp. My amp currently has it's gain set to its highest setting and I don't hear any audible distortion. What should I do? Oh! And by the way my MP3 player is directly wired to my amp by RCA's as I despise my stock head unit. Future thanks to those who read this!

You're good there.

And don't take advise from people who say a setting that's on an amplifier should never be used. If it should never be used, it wouldn't be there.

You might also find that you gain some volume by installing a processor or line level amplifier. If you do that, you will need to properly set the amplifier's gain.

No you shouldnt. The gain on an amp is used to match the output voltage of the headunit not any devices that are connected to said headunit. The gain knob is not a volume knob.

Set it how you would normally set it using a DMM.

Thanks a bunch! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I have no head unit. :p

Thanks a bunch! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif 

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I have no head unit. :p
Follow the equation for using a DMM for the clip to get the mV value that the amp gain should be set to. You still set it the same way. Maxing it out would still be wrong.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.