How do I wire my new subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

IndySlim

CoolAssDude
Omaha NE
So I blew my "starter kit" subs this weekend when finally got the proper amount of power going to them. Now I'm about to purchase 2 sundown audio 2 ohm 500 watt rms subs and I'll be running my 2 trusty jl 500/1 slash amps. 1on each sub. I need help in the wiring dept because these amps are 1.5 ohm and the examples on JL's website were kinda confusing. Can anyone help me with this?

So would purchasing the 4 ohm version be a better option for my amps. I thought it would hit a little harder with the 2 ohm version but my research is leaving me stuck because I don't have a 1 ohm amp. That 1.5 ohm rating on these jl amps is weird ijs.

I'll be running my 2 trusty jl 500/1 slash amps. 1on each sub.
Personally I'd go with d4's.. although that amp will make rated into anywhere between 1.5ohm and 4ohm according to JL.
JL states...
"The 500/1v2 deploys efficient Class D technology with a patented control circuit and JL Audio's signature R.I.P.S. power supply design to ensure full power delivery (500 W) over a wide range of load impedances and vehicle voltages."

Personally I'd go with d4's.. although that amp will make rated into anywhere between 1.5ohm and 4ohm according to JL.
JL states...
"The 500/1v2 deploys efficient Class D technology with a patented control circuit and JL Audio's signature R.I.P.S. power supply design to ensure full power delivery (500 W) over a wide range of load impedances and vehicle voltages."
I went to their site to check for info on wiring and immediately got confused so I came here. I tend to get pointed in the right direction from you guys. Atleast when i get a response I do smh.

If the JL amp is stable at 2ohm or 4ohm and produces the same power...why the heck is everyone telling this guy to go with dual4ohm for a 2ohm load as opposed to dual 2ohm for a 4ohm load?! THD is lower at 4ohms and dampenig factor is >500@ 4ohms and only >200@2ohms.

So same power, lower distortion, better control at 4ohms. Go with dual 2ohm versions and run coils in series for total load of 4ohms each.

Rise will be well over 4 ohms when wired to 4 ohms. If it does the same power from 1.5 - 4 ohms wire to 2.
The same can be said at 2ohms. So I'm not seeing the benefit of wiring lower...impedance rise will occur in either case, neither will be static DCR...however running at the '4ohm' config does increase the dampening and is typically cleaner than lower ohm loads.

The way you present it is that wired at 4ohms + rise will somehow create lower power than if you run 2ohm + rise. For that to be true then the 4ohm+rise would have to exceed some special limit which starts deminishing returns and that the 2ohm+rise won't rise high enough to be affected the same way.

This isn't an SQ install. 500 rms subwoofer on a 500 rms amp you are going to need as much help as you can get to try and stay in the 1.5 - 4 ohm impedance range. Wiring to 2 is going to be your best bet in actually getting some power out.

With most amps I would agree that the headroom of the additional power will most likely be more beneficial than a slight increases in SQ, especially if the listener isn't very discerning. However in this case where the amp is designed to deliver the same power regardless of nominal rating, why not opt for the clean choice?

With this amp I just don't see any real benefit to wiring lower.

Here's a link to the dyno test for the 500/1. The power does increase a little when driven down to 1.5ohms, but not much. The 2ohm and 4ohm results are almost identical and the 1.5ohm results are all within 100watts...that would be an inaudible difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

IndySlim

CoolAssDude
IndySlim
Omaha NE
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from