homemade sub box

You want to get really thin carpet so that it will bend easier, so thin, that if you hold it up to a light you will be able to see light coming through. You can use adhesive to make it stick to the box. I'm using a general trim adhesive. You can make cuts and sorta overlap it into the gap that each side of the enclosure will have.

I carpeted my box myself and, If I xan say so myself, I did a **** good job. If your gonna do it take the time to doit right for sure. Heres what I did. First I went to lowes and asked a guy there for some carpet, I told him what I was lokking for and that It was for a speaker box, and he gave me some good carpet. Its realy kinda thick. I like it that way though, the thicker carpet holds up better. Then I got some contact cement. We used a staple gun and stapled long piece to the back of the bottom of the box. And we would lay down the ontact cement over one side then pull it tight and make sure that one side was good. Then once that dried we pulled it over the next side and so on and so forth. THen when we got to the last side we left a little overlapping and then we folded aver about an inche of the end of the carpet and stapled it down. Next we cut off the excess carpet off the sides with a razor. But you want to leave about 2 inches of carpet all the way around. Then we cut out pieces that fit on the ends of the box. They dont have to cover up ALL the wood, you could leave about a half inch on the edges bare. Then with the carpet you have hanging over the end, you want to fold half of it over, then pull it down over the end and staple it. Youll have to cut the carpet some in the corners where the edges meet. I then just cut out the speaker and terminal holes with a carpet knife. It took a little while, but it looks really good.

Just wanted to second everything said by hogger. I personally like to make the carpet raggier where the seams are instead of having real distinct lines. Note that this works well only if you are using the heavier stuff; with auto carpet you can practically make the seams disappear if you are good at making precise cuts. I used to have a full tutorial on carpeting boxes but have seemed to lost it...

I personally like to use material that has a little shag to it. This way it helps cover up any imperfections. Also use the 3M contact spray. It comes in a black and red can. I have tried others and it is usually crap. Just keep the material flat, take your time, and you should be good to go.

Remember...............It's always easier to cut some off rather than to add!

Carpeting is great at hiding imperfections in the box. It reduces the need for hours of sanding or filling in screw holes. Paint, vineer, and everything else usually takes more time. Other than the time and imperfections you can cover up, I don't see a real reason behind carpet on the box.

yea thats true i dont have any carpet on my box, so you can see the screws and scratches and glues, but i'm not worried about looks, ( THE LAST THING I';M GOING TO DO IS SHOW THE WHOLE WORLD WUTS IN MY TRUNK).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.