Holy mother of god, Powerbase PBX 15" installed

You must be talking to the wrong people about the SX //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

My look on it is this!!!
RE and Orion are both better companys......

RE and Orion>>>>>Powerbase
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say...Powerbase is just a newer company, I'm sure many people said that same thing about small companies like RE and Adire when they first started. So please, don't go flaming small companies like an ******* just because they're new and you haven't heard of them...

Stangme.... Ok I see. I really like this pbx sub now but is it durable?? Thats one thing about RE I like is that I owned one and gave it the abuse. But I dont know $369 for XXX or $189 for PBX. If I do get a PBX, it will be kinda hard to fit the huge box in my 98 mustang. Also you said that you prefer dual gap technology subs in a sealed box, isnt that the technology in my sub? And should I save my self the hassle of buying a new sub and build a vented enclosure for mine?? Will it be that much difference? Ive only built sealed boxes, never a ported or vented. I dont even know how to tune boxes. Man this is so hard...

i wanna see how this sub will hold up. keep feedin power to that baby and lets see how durable it is. its cheap, its loud, its accurate...if its durable then its perfect //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Stangme

Pull your head out of your ars... oops

You had to start this. I said sounded fishy oh no. You did not have to take offense. I've never heard them or anyone singing praises about them. So I am Sckeptical until proven wrong. To be proven wrong is just as exciting as to be proven right. Either way I'll learn new stuff and advance my knowledge.

I'm glad you decided to clear things up but while doing so you just bashed some more. That doesn't really make amends.

It's cool though you don't know me, I don't know you. Am I a newb??? The world may never know.

My 1000 watt amp is only running 500 cause I've wired it to 2 ohms. Its 1000 at 1ohm. Just to clear that up. And yes running it in the car with music will not produce that much power. That is only done on bech tests with sine waves. I did an in car test with it playing and the amp only produces 433.98 watts at 2ohms. Thats cool though it still sounds good.

So your saying it gets louder than the XXX and still sounds just as clean. Maybe I'll check them out.

From what i'm getting, the SQ is GOOD ENOUGH for a SPL sub, but not REALLY GOOD compared to a SQ Sub am i right?

So in other words

It's louder then the XXX but not clearer??? Clarify this for me Stang?

I wonder if the SQL Series will be as loud as the Extremes but Clearer.

I might get the Extremes anyway for comps, and get my XXX's for reg.

Love my RE's

no I prefer the sound of the pbx OVER THE XXX overall. And yes it gets much louder too.

You said you had a problem with the H2 not having any upper bass, well the xxx has even less, the pbx and Magnum have LOTS of upper bass. THe PBX is just as loud at 140hz as it is at 50hz, so I do recommend a VERY low cutoff for really good SQ. I have mine at 65hz 24/db octave. Its got so much upper bass that even with that low of a cutoff you get TONS of bass above 65hz. ITs pretty awesome really.

This sub can take more abuse than the Orion H2 could ever handle, and i know trixter said his PBX can handle a TON more abuse than his Brahma, and the xxx is only a little more stable at high power levels than the H2 ( i never abused the xxx so I don't know).

if you are in the market for a TOTAL SQ sub and are not worried about getting loud, just get a single Adire Koda 10" and be done with it. If you are even considering buying a xxx, h2, pbx then you are not looking for a sub that only does mid 120's on the mic.

So is it the best SQ sub out there? no. Is it comparable to the xxx, brahma, magnum etc. for SQ? yes. Its very close to the Magnum which is ACTUALLY one of my favorite subs JUST for SQ purposes.

I'd say the Magnum probably IS my favorite sub for SQ, but the difference between it and the PBX in sound is marginal. BUT you have to remember that I use a 1/3 octave eq on my subs, I also use very low tuned enclosures (25-28hz). The PBX needs a little tuning (via the EQ) right out of the box in my vehicle (and so do most subs in most vehicles in the 40-50hz range), but so does the xxx, magnum, H2, IDQ, IDMAX, ECLIPSE ti, Eclipse aluminum, JL 10w7, JL 13w7, 12w6, 12w0, 10w3's, MTX 7000, 8000, 6000, ID SPL, ED E12A, ED E15A. Just to name a few subs I've owned. ALl of them needed quite a bit of tuning. All subs do in the car, you will never know how good your subs can sound without tuning your subs with an EQ. But I'd have to say the Magnum was very close to optimal right out of the box. XXX is FAR from being optimal right out of the box. THat sub needs ALOT of tuning IMO in the car because the low end is so bloated and needs balancing out, makes it sound muddy as **** IMO, but tuned correctly it sounds nice and tight.

From what i'm getting, the SQ is GOOD ENOUGH for a SPL sub, but not REALLY GOOD compared to a SQ Sub am i right?
So in other words

It's louder then the XXX but not clearer??? Clarify this for me Stang?

I wonder if the SQL Series will be as loud as the Extremes but Clearer.

I might get the Extremes anyway for comps, and get my XXX's for reg.

Love my RE's

SQL series is not going to get anywhere near as loud (the ES series)

its louder than the xxx and to most it will sound clearer. Because the xxx doesn't have much upper bass nor is it very musical you may hear people say it has a "weird sound" The "brahma sound" "muddy" "not clear" which is kind of what it sounds like in a way because it has no upper bass, but could be due to the fact the bottom end is too exadurated.

A guy on Termpro uses a PBX in his SQ car btw.

You must be talking to the wrong people about the SX //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
well sorry doodoo wasn't the right word, i've been told it doesn't sound all that great. Acceptable but not great. But its not even meant to be SQ at all, its their budget SPL sub. Thats why they got rid of the HC because it was an SQ sub, just like the SE, just like the XXX. The only spl sub in their line was the MT, but its expensive, so they got rid of the HC (SQ sub) and added another SPL sub as their entry level SPL sub. Not SQL sub, the HC was an SQL sub, the SE is and SQL sub, the XXX is an SQL sub. The MT and SX are SPL subs.

But, like I said I haven't heard it. For all I know it could sound pretty good. But I can tell you it was designed to be an SPL sub.

You keep saying the XXX has no upper bass...how many alignments did you try it in?
Even when un-ED'ed, I had great response from 50 on up...
you can do some searches on termpro.com and sd.com, SIN, wher I talked about some of the enclosures I used it in.

Ported:

3.4 cubes tuned to 26hz, 30hz

4.4 cubes tuned to 28hz

Sealed: (net)

3.4 cubes

3.0 cubes

2.4 cubes

2.0 cubes

1.8 cubes

I'm not sure why you insist it has alot above 50-60hz, even RE will tell you it doesn't have much upper bass, so will almost anyone that owns that sub. I've done sweeps from 20-160hz on it and right after ~55hz it takes a nose dive. Its very audible. The smaller sealed raised the peak around 70hz a little bit but not that much. As I've said before if i had 8-10" midbass's I'd use the XXX because it has a hell of a lot of low end.

you can do some searches on termpro.com and sd.com, SIN, wher I talked about some of the enclosures I used it in.
Ported:

3.4 cubes tuned to 26hz, 30hz

4.4 cubes tuned to 28hz

Sealed: (net)

3.4 cubes

3.0 cubes

2.4 cubes

2.0 cubes

1.8 cubes

I'm not sure why you insist it has alot above 50-60hz, even RE will tell you it doesn't have much upper bass, so will almost anyone that owns that sub. I've done sweeps from 20-160hz on it and right after ~55hz it takes a nose dive. Its very audible. The smaller sealed raised the peak around 70hz a little bit but not that much. As I've said before if i had 8-10" midbass's I'd use the XXX because it has a hell of a lot of low end.
Like I said, I've got plenty of output from 50- ~75 hz, the only time I did get a little dip was when I went with about 2.9 net. But that was solved with an EQ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

ngsm13 nice new avitar by the way.

yea i wish i had some extra cash i would really like to test this sub out and see how it does in teh sq region.

in the future tho i will be testing out alot of subs to see how they are since im getting a job pretty quick here so thats a good thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if anyone else buys this sub i would love to hear more review's on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.