Amplab demi-god

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR

Anyone hear or see one of these in person?
Screenshot_20231221_084855_Brave.jpg

Nothing seems off in the guts...I also don't know what I'm looking at either 🤣

I'm planning on swapping out my smart3 around tax time and this has really caught my eye.

It can be tough to say by looking at the guts. Could have two amps that are nearly clones of one another, but one the driver design just wasn’t quite right and more prone to blowing up. It doesn’t look too bad, but who’s to really say until they get used and see how they hold up over time.

Out of my own curiosity, why swap to that from the Smart 3?

Made by Zenon factory in South Korea, better onboard Xovers then your taramps but Is less efficient.
I don't mind the efficiency loss i don't play tones so I rarely if ever see peak output. Plus I'm looking ahead to a rebuild in a different ride in the somewhat near future

I don't mind the efficiency loss i don't play tones so I rarely if ever see peak output. Plus I'm looking ahead to a rebuild in a different ride in the somewhat near future

If this is more a matter to try out a Korean made amp to see what all the fuss is about, look at all options in that power range and see who offers the best prices and warranty (even though they always seem to swindle their way out of warranties 🤣). You could try to contact S&I or Zenon factory to see if they will sell you an amp. The problem doing this is it takes so long to get it. I built a bunch of subs for guys locally around a year ago and got a group buy together on amps direct from the factory. Took 2 months to get them 😅. Thank god nothing was for me cause after two weeks I’d be going nuts 🤣.

I'm looking to add one more sql-15 so my final impedence would .67. Even with box rise I don't wanna wire my smart3 under one. So I've been looking more at the Korean board amps

Looks solid. My go to Korean model has been the Hooligan H-KO series, .5ohm stable, built like a tank, but they are pricey though.

This looks like a sold design and with a subsonic that reaches into the 60hz range, probably built with an eye towards competition SPL output, not a bad thing! Will have to keep an eye in case I need more than my H-KO3. That's a big a$$ amp fo-sho!

Last edited:
Looks solid. My go to Korean model has been the Hooligan H-KO series, .5ohm stable, built like a tank, but they are pricey though.

This looks like a sold design and with a subsonic that reaches into the 60hz range, probably built with an eye towards competition SPL output, not a bad thing! Will have to keep an eye in case I need more than my H-KO3. That's a big a$$ amp fo-sho!
I'm glad you like your hooligan...personally I'm spending money on ds18 though 😂

I'm glad you like your hooligan...personally I'm spending money on ds18 though 😂
The Hooligan and EXL lines are the only DS18 amplifiers I have used or endorse. They are great amplifiers in my experiences with them specifically the EXL 2500.1 and the H-KO2, 3 and 5 models. Can't be everyting to everyone so I get it. Glad there are options like this, if it fits that is. that's a big amp at 22.5 inches long!

Bah 22.5" isn't big for an amp. The Cab-45 V1 & V2 is 22.5" wide as are a lot of amplifiers that have that kind of power.
It's plenty big if you ain't got the room or aren't making some sort of multi tiered layout. Just say'n. But yeah, anytime you are going from full-bridge to half-bridge, you should expect to double your footprint.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
spokey9
NE AR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views