Holy mother of god, Powerbase PBX 15" installed

and do you know what rms testing is? means you can run a sine wave with 1000w TRUE power to the coils for as long as you want. If you knew anything about amplifiers you'd know your 500w amp probably delivers 200w to your sub most of the time at most frequencies.
Max usually means for music also. Do some research on thermal powerhandling, and what makes for good powerhandling.

Brahma, rated for 1600wrms has much less coil than this sub, that is part of the XBL^2 technology, use the least amount of coil as possible.

XXX rated at 1600wrms as well but people say 1000's and 1000's of watts powerhandling, yet also has less coil.

H2 rated at 2000wrms ALSO has less coil.

magnum D2 rated at 1000wrms at well, recommended amps by the owner is 1500w-2000w amps, this sub has similar coils to the PBX.

Read trixters review, his PBX handled MUCH more abuse than his Brahma.
Coil is shorter in the xbl-2 enabled subs because there more linear....so dont go comparing underhung designed subs to xbl-2 designed subs with just saying the coil is different.

Coil is shorter in the xbl-2 enabled subs because there more linear....so dont go comparing underhung designed subs to xbl-2 designed subs with just saying the coil is different.
The design is great, and the fact that the coil is shorter is better for efficiency and inductance, i didn't say the shorter coil was a bad thing. The only downside to it is that it lowers powerhandling thats all because there is less coil to disipate heat.

It's not at all! Definently a wonderful built driver.
I think most subs are hyped up a little too much. The xxx IS a great driver. It just all depends what you want out of the sub. If you are weak on midbass IMO its hard to blend the xxx to your front stage if you want to get loud at all. Unless you don't mind either A) a dip in frequencies between 70-100hz B) the sub drowning out the midbass

All the subs listed in this thread are great subs. The only thing is, the xxx cost more on the internet BUT you get it with a warranty ($435 shipped for the 15"), the brahma costs even more, but you get a warranty ($460 shipped for the 15") The Magnum is a little less than those 2 and you get a warranty (around $360 shipped) which IMO makes the Magnum a better choice IMO because it has just as good SQ as the Brahma and XXX, can handle a little more power (real world), and has better upper bass. You can get the PBX on the internet WITHOUT warranty for around $250-$280 shipped (for the 15") which makes it more attractive but no warranty. If you wanted to buy this sub with warranty you'd have to buy it from a store which will cost you over $450. They retail for around $550 i believe. Now you can buy from an online store but you risk a shakey warranty. You can get an Orion H2 online for ~$300-$350 shilpped which is cheaper but without a manufacturer warranty. You'd also have to buy it at a store for over $600 if you want a warranty. So yeah the PBX and Orion H2 are cheaper on the internet but the reason they are less is because the sellers are not authorized dealers. Brahma, xxx, and Magnum are obviously more because you get the manufacturers warranty.

BUT i can tell you now you are going to have a HARD time blowing this sub. If I was buying a Brahma i would DEFINITELY want a warranty.

Ya well this thread is how product get hyped up and bandwagons start....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif
Well bandwagons are hard to avoid, the only way to avoid them is for no one to ever comment on a subs performance. Should we not post our opinions anymore about new subs (or any other product) to avoid bandwagons or hypes?

Stangme.... Ok I see. I really like this pbx sub now but is it durable?? Thats one thing about RE I like is that I owned one and gave it the abuse. But I dont know $369 for XXX or $189 for PBX. If I do get a PBX, it will be kinda hard to fit the huge box in my 98 mustang. Also you said that you prefer dual gap technology subs in a sealed box, isnt that the technology in my sub? And should I save my self the hassle of buying a new sub and build a vented enclosure for mine?? Will it be that much difference? Ive only built sealed boxes, never a ported or vented. I dont even know how to tune boxes. Man this is so hard...
no its not that I prefer dual gap technology subs in general in sealed enclosures. I was saying you get most of the benefits of dual gap technology in sealed enclosures because the only thing involved in making sound is the sub (no ports), and the sub has to use alot of excursion to get loud, and that is okay with dual gap technology subs because they don't distort much more at high volumes as they do at low volumes. But in ported enclosures, subs hard move compared to sealed, so they do not get much distortion due to high excursions as a result of BL dropping.

Although almost all dual gap subs available right now have fairly high QTS, and IMO too high for porting for SQ purposes. I don't really like the SQ of subs ported when their QTS is over .4 subs with under .4 QTS (like the Magnum with somewhere around .36 i believe, and the PBX which has a .29 ) become much more balanced in ported enclosures. Thats why IDMAX's, IDQ's, Eclipse subs, and PBX, Magnum's sound so good ported (tuned correctly and in the correct size enclosure of course).

As for the H2, it can sound really good ported but it requires alot of tuning with an EQ. I had to pull around 8-10db from 40hz, and 4-6db at 50hz, and 2-3db at 63hz

to get it to sound really good.

i wanna see how this sub will hold up. keep feedin power to that baby and lets see how durable it is. its cheap, its loud, its accurate...if its durable then its perfect //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
well considering its got world records for SPL I doubt its anything short of VERY DURABLE. Also as you saw ridinsolo who sold me the sub used 2400w amp on his, and I'm running a 2500w amp which most people know typically does 2500-2800w at 1ohm, and i'm running it at .5ohm which I've heard can push the amp into the mid 3000w range if not higher.

Like I said, I've got plenty of output from 50- ~75 hz, the only time I did get a little dip was when I went with about 2.9 net. But that was solved with an EQ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Hey if its enough for you thats all that matters man, you don't have to convince me its not enough for you. But I guarantee if you throw a Magnum or PBX in you will see how little upper bass the xxx has in comparison.

****, you making it harder for me to choose my subs. I might have to get 2 of these and put 1000 watts on each.

THATS WHAT I'M DOIN, i have two 15's that are gonna be run off a us amp 2000x. expect pics of the install up some time next weekend

Hey if its enough for you thats all that matters man, you don't have to convince me its not enough for you. But I guarantee if you throw a Magnum or PBX in you will see how little upper bass the xxx has in comparison.
How about get some good mids with a small amp? that will take care of the upper bass that you speak of because a sub is made for lower bass not upper:nono:

How about get some good mids with a small amp? that will take care of the upper bass that you speak of because a sub is made for lower bass not upper:nono:
This is true!

But i guess i understand what he's saying, why get mids and subs when u can get it with the sub.

I need more opinions.

i really wish u could get video/sound/pics of it.

What if i was to call u, could u let me hear the bass?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.