Hi, NOOB here! Looking for some good 6x8s to run off Pioneer HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThunderOne
10+ year member

Hi, noob here. I looked for a noob section, but didn't find one. If there was one, well, blame my noobiness.

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. Here she is:

200515_10150207676609535_824209534_9098155_7520822_n.jpg

195942_10150207676519535_824209534_9098153_1106557_n.jpg

Yes, she sees dirt.

296423_10150431877644535_824209534_11047198_1129784686_n.jpg

389217_10150969103059535_824209534_13227470_1849476488_n.jpg

Anyways, back on topic. I have a Pioneer DEH-P600UB deck. It's pretty old, and the CD thing spazzes out when I try to use it.. sometimes it doesn't want to open all the way and I have to fck with it before it opens all the way and spits my CD out. Needless to say, I don't use it... I just use my iPod adapter.

I am about to put two 12 inch JL 12W1s in my truck, powered by an Alpine MRP-M500 amp.

What I need to do first and foremost is mat the truck. That is a big giant PITA for my truck, so while I am at it, I need to get some speakers in there that can be loud enough to keep up with the subs.

Since the subs will be providing the bass, I do not need the 6x8 replacements to produce amazing bass. I need them to produce nice loud and clear mids and highs. I don't want them to sound distorted. HOWEVER, I have no plans to run an amp for my door speakers. My factory Toyota speakers do great at producing loudness (as long as I keep the bass settings low on my deck), however, I am not really sure how to set them up to work with my subs and not get distorted. My Pioneer deck has a bass adjustment (0-6) and several other options. However, when I want to turn the bass up on my future subs, I do not want that to affect the door speakers. When I turn the bass up to 3 on my deck right now (no subs yet), the speakers produce more bass. Which is nice, unless I turn it up too loud, then I start getting distortion. When I have my subs in, I do not want this to happen.

So should I figure out an adjustment on my HU, or upgrade my speakers?

I believe my current HU puts out around 15-20 watts of power.

I basically only want the speakers (whether factory or aftermarket) to produce nice loud mids and highs. My factory ones do fine at that, but for some reason when I turn the bass up on my HU, the speakers start producing bass along with my HU setting changes.. and the SQ goes downhill from there.

Sorry for the whole backstory. If you want some cliffnotes I would be happy to do so.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Hi, noob here. I looked for a noob section, but didn't find one. If there was one, well, blame my noobiness.
I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. Here she is:

200515_10150207676609535_824209534_9098155_7520822_n.jpg

195942_10150207676519535_824209534_9098153_1106557_n.jpg

Yes, she sees dirt.

296423_10150431877644535_824209534_11047198_1129784686_n.jpg

389217_10150969103059535_824209534_13227470_1849476488_n.jpg

Anyways, back on topic. I have a Pioneer DEH-P600UB deck. It's pretty old, and the CD thing spazzes out when I try to use it.. sometimes it doesn't want to open all the way and I have to fck with it before it opens all the way and spits my CD out. Needless to say, I don't use it... I just use my iPod adapter.

I am about to put two 12 inch JL 12W1s in my truck, powered by an Alpine MRP-M500 amp.

What I need to do first and foremost is mat the truck. That is a big giant PITA for my truck, so while I am at it, I need to get some speakers in there that can be loud enough to keep up with the subs.

Since the subs will be providing the bass, I do not need the 6x8 replacements to produce amazing bass. I need them to produce nice loud and clear mids and highs. I don't want them to sound distorted. HOWEVER, I have no plans to run an amp for my door speakers. My factory Toyota speakers do great at producing loudness (as long as I keep the bass settings low on my deck), however, I am not really sure how to set them up to work with my subs and not get distorted. My Pioneer deck has a bass adjustment (0-6) and several other options. However, when I want to turn the bass up on my future subs, I do not want that to affect the door speakers. When I turn the bass up to 3 on my deck right now (no subs yet), the speakers produce more bass. Which is nice, unless I turn it up too loud, then I start getting distortion. When I have my subs in, I do not want this to happen.

So should I figure out an adjustment on my HU, or upgrade my speakers?

I believe my current HU puts out around 15-20 watts of power.

I basically only want the speakers (whether factory or aftermarket) to produce nice loud mids and highs. My factory ones do fine at that, but for some reason when I turn the bass up on my HU, the speakers start producing bass along with my HU setting changes.. and the SQ goes downhill from there.

Sorry for the whole backstory. If you want some cliffnotes I would be happy to do so.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Well, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!! You'll find a lot of info on here from a lot of great people just never mention JL Audio and expect a good response...

So tell me, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

First, Nice truck! ... Looks like an azz load of fun! Bass boost/loudness is icky, if thats what you are adjusting. Leave both of those off and just use the bass/mid/treble settings to get the sound you want. Do you have the high pass crossover enabled? If so, at what frequency? Regardless, you will want to upgrade the 6x8's. Are they the only highs in your truck, or do you have 4 speakers?

Well, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!! You'll find a lot of info on here from a lot of great people just never mention JL Audio and expect a good response...
So tell me, have you ever seen a grown man naked?
I have spent a lot of time in the last week lurking several car audio forums trying to make up my mind about the subs I want. I originally wanted to get 10s, but the box they make for the backseat of my truck has 1 foot of space per sub, so I decided to go to a 12, since a 10 was too small for that big of a sealed enclosure. I decided to go with JL simply because I have heard my friend's (he has one 12w1 with a RF 250 amp in his double cab Tacoma) and I think two will definitely be enough boom and kick for my truck. I looked at a lot of others, like Image Dynamics, etc, and I was all over the place.. I couldn't decide what I wanted, but the size of the JL seems to work best with the box, and the fact that it's a 12. Seemed to get good reviews from folks. A few here and there weren't happy, but most were. For the price ($100 a pop shipped), seems like a worth while risk. If you feel like there's a better option for the price, feel free to put me up on the fence again, LOL.

I don't see how your second question has to do with the topic, but I cannot remember.. probably tried to erase it from my memory.. LOL

First, Nice truck! ... Looks like an azz load of fun! Bass boost/loudness is icky, if thats what you are adjusting. Leave both of those off and just use the bass/mid/treble settings to get the sound you want. Do you have the high pass crossover enabled? If so, at what frequency? Regardless, you will want to upgrade the 6x8's. Are they the only highs in your truck, or do you have 4 speakers?
I have 4 speakers, two in the back of the cab, two in the doors. The door panels are simple to remove. To get to the speakers in the back, you have to gut the interior. It's a HUGE PITA. I have done it before, but didn't mat at the time. I was mainly cleaning the mud out from when I sank my truck (that all happened a few years ago). Now that I will be matting my truck, I figured while I have the truck gutted, I need to AT LEAST consider replacing the back 6x8s. But of course, the fronts will also be replaced, eventually, if not at the same time. The truck also has two tweeters, at the top of the door panels, closer to the side mirror area.

I am a noob at sound controls. My deck does a TON of stuff, but I have no idea what they really do. I have HPF, sub settings, all sorts of random stuff. I just fiddled around with them all till I got a sound I liked. Does my Pioneer deck do all the things you mentioned?

Also, I am assuming you imply that even with bass boost, etc, turned off, that I can still crank the subs up without it?

Remember I am not going to run an amp to my cab speakers, I just want them to produce loud mids/highs without being distorted, they do not need to produce much bass at all. The only power will be coming from the deck.

I have been looking at these right now, not really sure if these would work but seems like they would. People say the bass is not strong but they are loud, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sM0mP9O3M7k/p_130TSA6874/Pioneer-TS-A6874R.html?i=130TSA6874#overview-tab

Thanks for all the help and very quick responses!

No problem. Ok. First. Turn the treble, mid, and bass to zero. turn your bass boost off. turn your loudness off. turn SLA to 0. Turn off the sub from your deck, just for now while you are setting your highs. Get to the hpf setting on your deck and turn it on. It adjusts by hz. possibly 50, 63, 80, 100, etc, it might be different numbers, but you get the idea. With the sub off and the deck at 3/4 of its max volume set the hz on your crossover function until there is no distortion, i would suggest setting it at 80 with those stock speakers. just make sure its not distorting. while you are at it, set the lpf for the sub if you already havn't. put your sub amp on full range/full pass with the bass boost off. then make sure the gain is all the way down on the amp. then make sure the subwoofer level on your deck is all the way up. then set the lpf to match your hpf cutoff. if the hpf is set for 80, set the lpf for 80. then go back to your amp and raise the gain, with the deck still 3/4 of the way up until you hear it distort. as soon as it does that, turn it down until you can't hear distortion and go a lil bit farther down to be safe.

you can adjust the mid and treble to your taste for now. it should sound much, much clearer. that will get you by for now. i would speak to the experts on here about speaker choice. it looks like you're limited in your choices due to your vehicle and i don't want to give out bad advice. but beware, there are sharks in here that will try to sell you things you may not need. if you're not looking for a high end system don't let anyone in here convince you that you need $100+ sets of speakers. you should do just fine finding nice speakers for well under that, per set.

I'm curious why you think those speakers are "much, MUCH" better than the Pioneer speakers the OP linked? I sell both Pioneer and some of the Diamond Audio products but I haven't seen their speakers.
I've had bad luck with pioneer speakers, and only heard good things about the Diamonds. They looked like a good deal on a brand that many people find to be outstanding. Maybe I'm wrong. If I am, then feel free to lead him on the right direction.

for just highs on head unit power the memphis sr5x7s and the rockford prime 5x7s get nice and loud and will fit the cut out of the 6x8. if all you are wanting is highs i seem to like to recommend Memphis. they are incredibly efficient and i very rarely even need to put an amp bigger that 50x4 on any of their highs.

No problem. Ok. First. Turn the treble, mid, and bass to zero. turn your bass boost off. turn your loudness off. turn SLA to 0. Turn off the sub from your deck, just for now while you are setting your highs. Get to the hpf setting on your deck and turn it on. It adjusts by hz. possibly 50, 63, 80, 100, etc, it might be different numbers, but you get the idea. With the sub off and the deck at 3/4 of its max volume set the hz on your crossover function until there is no distortion, i would suggest setting it at 80 with those stock speakers. just make sure its not distorting. while you are at it, set the lpf for the sub if you already havn't. put your sub amp on full range/full pass with the bass boost off. then make sure the gain is all the way down on the amp. then make sure the subwoofer level on your deck is all the way up. then set the lpf to match your hpf cutoff. if the hpf is set for 80, set the lpf for 80. then go back to your amp and raise the gain, with the deck still 3/4 of the way up until you hear it distort. as soon as it does that, turn it down until you can't hear distortion and go a lil bit farther down to be safe.
Thanks. Okay, so I turned bass to zero. I turned off the subwoofer setting, and loudness is off. The speakers no longer try to push bass through them, and they can get very LOUD before they start to distort.

I have noticed a lot of choices being posted, and I will have to research them all. But my stock speakers, following your instructions, seem to get pretty **** loud before I hear any distortion. Keeping them in may be a possibility, however, I want the ability to crank up the subs. Is this possible to do, even by having those settings turned off that I mentioned above? Basically, the stock speakers don't need any bass going to them. I want to set it up so I can crank the subs up and not crank the bass on my speakers.

Would some sort of auxiliary bass control knob work? My friend has one in his truck, where he just turns a knob and it turns the bass up or down. You could have the volume set to 5, the bass knob all the way up and the subs would be pounding, but barely anything coming from the door speakers.

Also, I did not see an LPF setting, only an HPF setting. I will have to dig around, it might be in a more inconspicuous menu setting.

--"With the sub off and the deck at 3/4 of its max volume set the hz on your crossover function until there is no distortion, i would suggest setting it at 80 with those stock speakers. just make sure its not distorting. while you are at it, set the lpf for the sub if you already havn't. put your sub amp on full range/full pass with the bass boost off"

You kind of lost me here. I don't have my subs yet, so maybe it will become obvious once I have them set up. But I don't know what a crossover function is, and full range/full pass is. I'm a noob. haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.