Help matching different speakers - car audio noob

knight_40k

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
I purchased 2 pairs of JL Audio C1-650 on sale but they could be returned if needed. They are going in to a 2018 Civic SE which uses two tweeters and two 6.5"mid drivers in both front and rear locations. In order to save money and possibly return a pair of the JL's, I was wondering if it'd be worthwhile to use a different pair of rear 6.5 coaxial I have on hand or should I just keep both pairs of JL? I pulled some Clarion SRQ1632R from a past vehicle which are still in great sounding condition; I'm just not sure how important it is to have comparable frequency response or if the rears matter as much overall. I'm aware the Clarions are older but I enjoy their sound.

If it matters, I will not be replacing the head unit as I do not wish to make major changes to my vehicle or risk losing function. I'll be using an Exile Shift S50.4 to drive the front/rear speakers, plus a 8" sub/amp a friend gave me; and I purchased a LC2i Line Output Converter.

Any help would be appreciated for this car audio novice.

Last edited:
There's no reason you have to run the same thing. Those JLs are listed at $130 a pair on sale right now at jl.com. Not sure if you paid more or can still price match, but maybe getting a few bucks back is good enough.

The rears matter a little more to the rear passengers, but I personally, and think many choose to just add rear speakers to help fill in for the front stage. It's a personal preference really.

No reason you can't return em, and run the other pair, and upgrade down the road if you feel you need to, or when the itch starts gettin to you.

Ill run components up front on 100-200 rms usually and Coax in rears on approx 20-50 rms. A 4 dr vehicle, Ill run Coax in rears for passengers in the doors

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...