Complete Noob Needs Help

txjeep

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
I apologize upfront if this is a stupid set of questions. I do not know much about how all this works.
The vehicle is a 1981 Jeep Scrambler. I would like to get decent audio out of that loud environment with the top up or down.

I decided to add 2 6x9 speakers to the four originally planned and therefore would like advice on the bast way to connect everything. I assume a 2nd amp but what about DSP and channel tuning?

can I make this good for less than an additional $800?

Here is what I have:

Head unit - Kenwood Excelon KMM-X503
6 RCA Out - 6 Channel Preamp outputs
4 Speaker level outputs

Front Dash Speakers - 2x Polk Audio DB 522
5.25 inch 2-way
100 watts RMS
Frequency range 55-22,000 Hz
Sensitivity 91 dB
Mounted behind cutouts in metal dash with Speaker Baffles

Front Floor Speakers - 2x Polk Audio MM 522
5.25 inch 2-way
80 watts RMS
Frequency range 50-40,000 Hz
Sensitivity 92 dB
Mounted in Select Increments Centra-Pod

Behind Seat Speakers - 2x Polk Audio MM 692
6x9 inch 3-way
150 watts RMS
Frequency range 30-40,000 Hz
Sensitivity 94 dB
Mounted in ABS housings against bulkhead

Subwoofer - 1x Polk Audio DB 842 SVC
8 inch 4-ohm
250 watts RMS
Frequency Response 30-200 Hz
Sensitivity 84 dB
Mounted in Select Increments Intra-Pod Center Console

Amplifier - Kicker 42PXA5001
250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
Frequency Response 25-120 Hz
Switchable low-pass filter (60, 80, 100 or 120Hz at 24 dB / octave)
KickEQ Bass Boost (Selectable 0dB or +6dB centered at 40 Hz
Fixed subsonic filter (25 Hz, 24 dB / octave)
Fuse 40A x 1
Mounted in Select Increments Intra-Pod Center Console bottom cavity

Last edited:
Always trying to solve my own problems, I have come this far but have a lot of questions:

OPTION 1: 4 channel amp - Like Kicker KMA360.4
Connect 4 RCA outputs from head to amp inputs
Connect 4 x front speakers to 2 channels speaker outputs
Connect 2 x rear to 2 channels
Connect 2 x RCA outputs from head to Kicker Amp for sub
Questions:
How can you tune this for the different levels of speakers or does that matter?
Is there risk of sharing channels even on 4 x 5.25 speakers?
How to wire these, Series or Parallel?

OPTION 2: 6 channel amp - Like Kicker KMA600.6
Connect 4 RCA outputs from head to amp inputs
Connect 2 x dash speakers to 2 amp channels speaker outputs
Connect 2 x floor speakers to 2 amp channels speaker outputs
Connect 2 x rear speakers to 2 amp channels speaker outputs
Connect 2 x RCA outputs from head to Kicker Amp for sub
Questions:
I don't understand what the amp does with 4 channels of input vs 6 channels of output. Does this need to be handled in some special way?

OPTION 3: DSP in front of 6 Channel Amp -
This obviously costs more but maybe has a lot of benefit?
Some DSP's are 6 channels in and 8 channels out. Would I run the RCA for the Sub through this and then on to 2 amps?
Same question about input vs. output allocation. I just don't get how that works.

OPTION 4: combined DSP Amp - Like JBL DSP4086
This seems too easy? Or does this solve the problem?
Is this designed for a different set of inputs than the head unit?

First, not stupid at all, and honestly, you came in here better informed and knowledgeable than most do. You have clearly started trying to figure it out, also which most don't do.

Right away, I wouldn't bother with DSP or channel tuning. I don't think it's worth it for these speakers, don't think you're going to notice any small difference in a jeep with so much ambient noise, especially when top down, and you have to already be getting confined on space, plus the risk of it getting damaged. It just seems like you need to go loud, and not worry about minimal clarity. Someone else might want to contradict that though, and even hoping someone can try to enlighten us both on the other side of that coin.

I think sound deadener does more, but doesn't look like you really have a reasonable way or place to put any on.

I personally don't think you need both sets of those speakers up front. I've never heard em, I've never heard from inside your vehicle, but I think you would solve a lot of problems, and probably get a louder stage from one set of higher wattage speakers than those two lower wattage speakers, (based on placement, one has gotta be better than the other). It just looks like right now, you need two amps, and one set means one 4ch amp (if you get a set up front that is 150-200w RMS). You've got two sets of two ways, up front, and 3 ways in the back, that's A LOT OF highs. If you put what you have now on the same amp, you're going to wear out the fronts quick, or your rears are never going to go anywhere near the volume they are capable of, unless you can find an amp, that lets you set the gains separately for channels 1-2, 3-4/ or 5-6. (My alpine PDX f6 does).

Are 5.25 the biggest size you can fit on both, ANY WAY AT ALL to fit a 6.5? (even cutting the hole bigger yourself)? You'd get about 50 times as many options.

Doesn't look like you could really improve the speaker pairing by sticking with Polk.

Last edited:
can I make this good for less than an additional $800?
Good options on the table, but I would change it all up. For that loud environment I would suggest pro audio speakers. So it will be the 4 speakers and the 4 channel amp. Those type are very sensitive and get louder than conventional speakers. They also play very wide so no need for a tweeter and get low enough to blend with the sub stage. Being a Jeep enthusiast I am sure you have heard some already since they are popular in the off road community.

I definitely wouldn't bother with DSP in something with soft or removable top nor would any sort of sound deadener accomplish much. I'd say you're going for just loud and more.

Buy enough amps so that each set of components has its own channel so that you can gain them each individually and add components/coaxials as you can find space to mount them. Setting gains will be tedious as you'll want to set each on its own to make sure it's not ever going to be over-driven then you'll need to run everything at once and gain down anything that's coming out too strong.

Many amps have pass-through RCA outputs on them, if yours do not you can use Y splitters to give signal to more channels and I think there's even RCA distro boxes that you can do 1 rca in and has 6 or 8 or more outs.

No wrong answer here, but you're up against a lot of noise with a soft top or top off vehicle so I'd personally be looking to just brute-force loud if you want to hear your tunes while offroading or whatever.

My buddy had a '90 4runner he rolled and caved in the roof...we took a Sawzall and made it top less to use a "mountain car" drinking around logging roads and whatnot...we hooked a stereo in that thing with 3 sets of 6x9's and tried doing a sub on 2 4 chanbel fosgate amps...the speakers did just fine but the sub ******...we ended up using 10 inch woofers out a set of Kenwood home speakers for "bass" and that ended up working way better...it absolutely wasn't an sq install and the lower end wouldn't turn heads but we could hear the music and it sounded pretty good considering what we were working with...

Please don't install a stereo to play with the top off. There are already enough fat middle-aged men on motorcycles to annoy me.
Lol, there are a few things in life I really enjoy collecting: a sweet mullet, old women in young girl mini dresses, and fat guys on sport bikes. You really made me laugh.

Last edited:
If this was my ride.. I would get a 150.4 rms x4ch @4 ohms amplifier and run on all the speakers with exception of the Dash speakers. Id run a 30-60 rms x 2 amplifier on the dash speakers. Use what you have. Not sure that sub will blend in very well with power on everything.. But thats when tuning comes into play. Id also look at a Preamp EQ rather than a DSP. Clarion still makes a nice affordable one and works very well from my experiencing with that brand. Put some power on what you have, If you need to add more 6x9s, you can add them later on the rear chs. and tune those again. Thats me. I like to amplify all speakers

This amp was suggested to me by Crutchfield:

JL Audio XDM600/6​

Any advice from the group on this amp or alternatives? $800 is their price.
Too much money. You can get two amps and a wiring kit for that price and more power. Power is cheap these days

I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I think I am going to go with the setup in the attached PDF. Once I get all the placement done and measurements taken, I can order the proper RCA cable lengths and cut all the speaker wire.

Jeep Audio Drawing.jpeg

Last edited:
I would get a different battery then Optima if it was me. Those batteries haven't been the same since they were sold all those many years ago. Only 4-5 battery companies in the world these days. You might be surprised at what companies make the batteries you see on the shelves. A Tractor Supply battery AGM or Diehard AGM, XS Power or an Odyssey battery I would go with over Optima all day long. I put a Tractor Supply AGM 65 series in mine and it has 69AH in it cost me a whopping 150 dollars on clearance as it was 3 months old and they for some reason clear them out after that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...