Help With Wiring My Subs... 2ohm vs 4ohm? ahhh plz read

Alright, So this is what I have...

I have two Alpine Type-X Pro 12 inch subs (set in a custom built box) and I have two Alpine PDX 1.1000 Amps... (one for each sub)

I'm debating on how to wire the subs... I've had it wired a certain way for a while now, and everything been fin, but recently my amps cut out for some reason... So tonight I was taking everything out, and rewiring to diagnose the problem...

I know my subs have two + and two - on them, I believe that means they are dual channel voice coils? I just don't know the difference between wiring them to 2 ohm, or 4 ohm, or 8 ohm, using parallel or blah blah blah (every time i Google about it it just makes my head hurt)

Someone please shed some light on this for me?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So maybe I can also understand a little bit better...

Links to what I have

Two of these...

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Two of these...

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

This is what the rest of my car has //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif...

1 x Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

2 x Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

If I understand correctly you are using one sub on each amp?

I don't have any experience with the X series but you need to know what ohm you subs are before you rewire any subwoofer.

Again, I have never used that amp but the specs show it to be stable to 2 ohm.

So as a word of caution - If your subs are dual 4 ohm, attempting to wire both subs on ONE amp in parallel will give you a 1 ohm load. This is what the previous post suggests and that could turn out bad for your amp.

See if this helps any: JL Audio - Car Audio Systems

One dual 4 ohm sub per amp (+ to + / - to - ) will give you a 2 ohm load at each amp - which according to the specs should be safe.

If this is the way they are hooked up may need to check your gains (turn them down some). Looks like those subs could take more power than those amps are putting out. Could be that you to have cranked the gains up a little too much. Speaking from the specs only.

Hope this helps

you must like alpine lol

well 2ohms gives you more power so the more ohms the less RMS,so you monoblocks might have 700w rms at 2ohm but 550w at 4ohm

get it?

2ohms should give you more power but if you look at those amps it's the same output running 2 or 4. either way it's still 1,000watts. so with that said not sure why you took it all apart to begin with. you should have had it running to 1 vc then the jumper running to the other vc. if your amp is cutting out it's not how you wired the subs up. turn your gains down a hair. make sure all of your connections are tight. when does it cut out? just whenever or, when your running it hard for a little while?

The PDX amplifiers provide the same amount of power @ 2 or 4 ohms, so it doesn't matter how he wires the subs.

The real question is how he's going to wire each sub @ either 2 or 4 ohms. It's impossible to have that option. The Type X is only available in 4 ohm or 2 ohm dvc configurations.

- The 4 ohm dvc can only be wired to 2 ohms, because the PDX isn't going to do shit @ 8 ohms.

- The 2 ohm dvc model can only be wired to 4 ohms, because the PDX isn't stable down to 1 ohm.

I don't know what a pair of the PDX amps will do strapped, or if they're even capable of it, so I'm basing what I've said on the OP dedicating each amp to one sub...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.