Help with wiring 4 channel amp to 3 channels - how many RCA cables?

Participant count
  • Participant list

PuZo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm looking to get a 4 channel amp to power 2 front speakers and an amp. So I already know channel 1 will be left, channel 2 will be right and channels 3/4 will be bridged for a sub.

My Sony HU has 3 sets of RCA's, Front, Rear, and Sub.

I'm looking at a Kicker zx650.4. My biggest question is that it only has 2 sets of RCA outputs, 1 set for channels 1/2 and 1 set for channels 3/4.

If I just connect 2 sets of RCA's(channel 1/2 to Front, and channel 3/4 to sub), will I still get stereo sound for the front?

Do I need a y-splitter anywhere in this configuration? Would I only need a y-splitter if each channel had it's own seperate RCA output?

Thanks

Nope, do it just like you stated.

If you are running 4 speakers, you will have to wire the two speakers on each side in parallel. Keep in mind if you bridge channels 3 and 4 together you can only run at 4 ohms.

Nope, do it just like you stated.
If you are running 4 speakers, you will have to wire the two speakers on each side in parallel. Keep in mind if you bridge channels 3 and 4 together you can only run at 4 ohms.
I'm running components in the front that are 4 ohms, so each will have their own channel for power, but I just want to make sure I'll still have stereo sound. My sub is also 4 ohms. So I would only need 2 sets of RCA cables then.

What benefit would an amp have to have each channel with it's own RCA outputs?

Each channel does have it's own RCA. You are just running the front channels from the HU to the front channels on the amp. Then the sub channels to the amp. You will leave the rear outputs at the HU unhooked. The amp will 'sum' the 2 channels when you bridge it to run the sub.

This way you will still be able to left/right balance the fronts and use the HU's subwoofer adjustments.

keep in mind that a "set" is both left and right channels (2 plugs). This has been implied in the responses, but i'm curious if you grasped that with the question on "stereo sound".

10zx6504.jpg

HU front output: RCA set #1 (left and right) to amp 1 input (left and right). Speakers wired in stereo.

HU sub output: RCA set #2 (left and right) to amp 2 input (left and right). Sub wired in mono.

be sure the "fader" button on the amp is off - that will allow for sub level control at the HU.

if your head unit has built-in crossovers you can use them, or use the HPF and LPF at the amp.

keep in mind that a "set" is both left and right channels (2 plugs). This has been implied in the responses, but i'm curious if you grasped that with the question on "stereo sound".
10zx6504.jpg

HU front output: RCA set #1 (left and right) to amp 1 input (left and right). Speakers wired in stereo.

HU sub output: RCA set #2 (left and right) to amp 2 input (left and right). Sub wired in mono.

be sure the "fader" button on the amp is off - that will allow for sub level control at the HU.

if your head unit has built-in crossovers you can use them, or use the HPF and LPF at the amp.
Yes, a set would be 2 plugs.

As far as wiring the speakers in stereo, I assume you mean just the L+ and L- going to the left crossover (and then splitting into the tweeter and speaker) and the R+ and R- going to the right crossover.

Yes, a set would be 2 plugs.
As far as wiring the speakers in stereo, I assume you mean just the L+ and L- going to the left crossover (and then splitting into the tweeter and speaker) and the R+ and R- going to the right crossover.
Exactly. Stereo = left and right channels separate.

As far as running all the cables, I assume I'd run the power wire on one side and the RCA cables on the other side to avoid any potential interference?

The headunit sends the signal (output) and the amp receives it (input). You would wire that amp exactly the same as the previous one. The 2 RCAs from the subwoofer output of the headunit will be 'summed' (averaged together) when you bridge channels 3 and 4 of the amp. The outputs on the amp are to daisy-chain to another amp, such as a monoblock. Why would you have a single RCA for the sub?

The headunit sends the signal (output) and the amp receives it (input). You would wire that amp exactly the same as the previous one. The 2 RCAs from the subwoofer output of the headunit will be 'summed' (averaged together) when you bridge channels 3 and 4 of the amp. The outputs on the amp are to daisy-chain to another amp, such as a monoblock. Why would you have a single RCA for the sub?
This is what it shows in the manual:

2vwgwlz.png

How would I plug a single RCA for the sub into my Headunit? (which has 2 RCA's for the sub)
You wouldn't. Connect BOTH the sub output channels to the amp's 3/4 channels. The mono summing is done internally.

Connect the sub to the bridged terminals on the 3/4 output and you're set.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.