Amp and subwoofer wiring help

Participant count
  • Participant list

timbo2410

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ok, I am yet to take delivery of my Alpine R-Series 6/5/4/3 Channel Power Amplifier, Alpine S2-S65 S-Series 6.5" 2-way Coaxial Speakers x 4 and Alpine RS-SB12 subwoofer. Looking at online instruction manuals and alpine videos, they contradict each other, so trying to figure out the correct wiring for my system along with amp settings. The sub should use channel 5/6 (that's fine) but some sites suggest to bridge 5 and 6 while others suggest use either 5 or 6? Also, the amp settings in the Alpine manual contradict what the Alpine technician states on the Alpine "how to" videos for that amp in exactly the same speaker/sub/amp combination? Give me some advice people :)

Give me some advice people :)
IMO, not contradictions, but different subwoofers.
In the channel 5 and 6 method, they may be referring to a dual voicecoil subwoofer, one coil per channel.
In the bridged method, a single voice coil higher power sub, or dual 8 Ohms voice coil sub paralleled to 4 Ohms, which works best for bridged channels since lowest resistance is 4 Ohms bridged.
In using channel 5 or 6, it may be a single voice coil low power subwoofer.

Thanks for the reply :) ... So it's listed as a 2 ohm sub .. do I bridge channel 5 and 6?
These are the stats:
  • RMS Power Handling: 600W
  • Peak Power Handling: 1800W
  • X-Max: 20mm
  • Nominal Impedance: 2ohms (4ohms+4ohms)
  • Frequency Response: 26Hz-200Hz
  • Sensitivity: (1W/1M): 81dB
  • Voice Coil: 4″ (102mm)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply :) ... So it's listed as a 2 ohm sub .. do I bridge channel 5 and 6?
I just looked it up. It being 2 Ohms with no practical way to modify that setting, it will only be able to be used on a single channel. It will be very underpowered but, there is a solution. Open it up and run wires to each voice coil, then connect each voice coil to a channel.
Being that it is an $800 piece of equipment, I do not think this is a desirable option lest you lose your warranty.
There are many nice options out there for a better price and compatible with your amp.

not many I'm afraid .. under seat or passenger footwell .. but if in the footwell it would need to be as low as possible - I would then have to build a cage over it

In a case like
not many I'm afraid .. under seat or passenger footwell .. but if in the footwell it would need to be as low as possible - I would then have to build a cage over it
In a case like yours I would rather recommend tactile transducers. They are like woofers without the cone section that are fastened to the botttom of your seat. They vibrate the seat for a tectile bass that you can also hear to some degree. I do not know how much bass you actually want, but if an underseat sub is enough for your taste, then this would be an alternative to that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...