Help Me Choose 8s

The bottom line is that you will have to hear the subs in person to judge. You might think the zvx is killing the sa8 and wonder why people on the forum told you otherwise. I will chime in on not liking the sound of the L7s, but some people think it sounds good. I would pick the lower priced 8 with a 2.5" voice coil if you don't have much experience with 8s. Most people are going to recommend the more expensive stuff, but you probably couldn't tell the difference between the sa and evl? The best bang for the buck is going to be the Blue basket American Bass Hd.

I never liked the sound of L7’s. To me they can get loud but sound like crap.

The issue with Kickers is that they need big boxes to shine, IMO. Like the kicker 15's basically need a small 18" diameter round speaker sized box. Kickers do get loud, but they don't sound the best. I've seen a lot of blown kickers in my life, in situations where maybe they shouldn't have blown.

I actually like Kicker as a company, overall. With that being said, I'd spend my money on other subs.

So the SA will sound more musical and the x will be better off in the lows. What didn't you like about the l7 8. It has more cone area so should be louder?

Actually the X-8 isn't a low end monster like the other X subwoofers.

L7s have always had quite a bit of mechanical noise to me.

Two SA or F8L will be your best bet with a 1600rms amp. Two X-8s would be under powered.

Actually the X-8 isn't a low end monster like the other X subwoofers.

L7s have always had quite a bit of mechanical noise to me.

Two SA or F8L will be your best bet with a 1600rms amp. Two X-8s would be under powered.

It kind of is though. Like it's still an 8 so it's limited in the ability to reproduce lows, but the design still definitely looks like they were trying to achieve a lower frequency response out of an 8. Like I worked for a sundown dealer. I've designed, built and installed dozens of Sa's boxes and E boxes and X boxes. Even though the X's have a higher Fs than the Sa-8's, the point of the whole X series seems to be the most linear high excursion possible, for low frequency reproduction. That's why Sundown recommends a lower tuning for the X-8's vs the Sa-8's, seemingly, because that's the goal is lower frequency reproduction.

From the man himself.

In our line all of the 8s are unique to their line.

The X-8 is more of a "traditional" sounding subwoofer -- not an ultra high-excursion, linear, bottom-end monster like the rest of the X series.

Granted it can still play low but it's not going to sound like the rest of the X line.

From the man himself.

Yeah, that's my whole larger point about the x-8. It is a more powerful woofer, and it still seems like they tried to aim for it to be like the other x's, but it's still just an 8. 8's are only going to play so low with higher power because of the limitations of the spider sizes and coil diameters. It still doesn't make sense that Sundown themselves recommend a lower tuning for x8 than the sa8, but yet they say don't expect more lows out of it, seemingly. You see what I'm saying? I still think they were aiming to make it a low end monster 8, there's just only so much you can do with an 8"

It's for a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Looking for big bang in a small space.

I'm getting ready to install two of these 8's.

20210331_202718.jpg
20210331_202556.jpg
20210401_001216.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...