Going full active with my Alpine PXA-H800 DSP

You received ball busting for buying an overpriced set of components going into a very bad location and install. spending too much on custom rca's. buying a big stupid radiator fan, a dsp you cant install/setup/use. sub positioning. and 2 5 channel amps.I think its all justified.

The hatred you get if from how you tout that your all educated and experienced in 2 aspects that your install revolves around ee/it, yet you cant seem to understand or put any of those principals to use. and the fact that you ignore all common sense tips you get.

all of it is very hilarious to most
Yeah, that big stupid radiator fan's still sitting on my table inside in it's shipping box. It would be a very effective cooling fan but as many/some here said probably too loud for continuous operation while the audio system was playing. I was just frustrated with the low FCFS rating if quieter fans like computer fans, etc. If you wanna air cool anything you gotta have that high CFS rating! I drove and wired on old aircooled VWs for years so I know that much.

And yes any car is a really bad location to install any high quality sound reproduction equipment so all we all here are doing is trying our best to optimize a audio system in an inherently hostile environment, which is exactly what I am trying to do! And every design decision I made was the result of initial purchases of equipment then learning and acquiring other equipment like the two 5 channel amops I have. I first bought the Alpine PDR-V75 and a Kenwood 2 channel amp for the front two dash speakers, but then heard of the Alpine PDX-V9 and bought that too, so now I've decided to use the four NON subwoofer channels of the PDR-V75 for my dash speakers, which works out great as I now have FOUR amp channels to go full active if and when I want to! And yes I spent "too much" on custom RCA cables, but in doing so I helped some fellow car audio enthusiasts in their business venture (DroppinHZs!) And I'm gonna get some MORE purple overpriced custom PURPLE RCAs from them when I go full active! Need more/different RCA cables!

Gotta eat dinner now before my work! Have fun and be safe!

John Kuthe...

Yeah, that big stupid radiator fan's still sitting on my table inside in it's shipping box. It would be a very effective cooling fan but as many/some here said probably too loud for continuous operation while the audio system was playing. I was just frustrated with the low FCFS rating if quieter fans like computer fans, etc. If you wanna air cool anything you gotta have that high CFS rating! I drove and wired on old aircooled VWs for years so I know that much.
all you need to do is evacuate hot air and replace it with ambient, in a cubbie with that small of a volume a 120mm fan exhausting and a small air entry is all that would be needed.

And yes any car is a really bad location to install any high quality sound reproduction equipment so all we all here are doing is trying our best to optimize a audio system in an inherently hostile environment, which is exactly what I am trying to do! And every design decision I made was the result of initial purchases of equipment then learning and acquiring other equipment like the two 5 channel amops I have. I first bought the Alpine PDR-V75 and a Kenwood 2 channel amp for the front two dash speakers, but then heard of the Alpine PDX-V9 and bought that too, so now I've decided to use the four NON subwoofer channels of the PDR-V75 for my dash speakers, which works out great as I now have FOUR amp channels to go full active if and when I want to! And yes I spent "too much" on custom RCA cables, but in doing so I helped some fellow car audio enthusiasts in their business venture (DroppinHZs!) And I'm gonna get some MORE purple overpriced custom PURPLE RCAs from them when I go full active! Need more/different RCA cables!
Gotta eat dinner now before my work! Have fun and be safe!

John Kuthe...
yeah any car is a bad environment, but spending a disproportional amount on drivers for the worst location in the vehicle is especially bone headed.

all you need to do is evacuate hot air and replace it with ambient, in a cubbie with that small of a volume a 120mm fan exhausting and a small air entry is all that would be needed.

yeah any car is a bad environment, but spending a disproportional amount on drivers for the worst location in the vehicle is especially bone headed.
I've have said from the get go on this project I'm using Chrysler's not the greatest SPEAKER mounts to mount my SPEAKERS! Are they the best locations for speakers or as you like to call the drivers? NO! But that's Chrysler's fault not mine! And the disproportionality of my financial expenditure on PHD speakers I think it kinda funny/ironic! You build your car audio system the way YOU want and let me build mine the way I want!!

Or do you have a problem with personal liberty?

John Kuthe...

Yes, I do think that personal liberty should be limited to people with social/mental handicaps. It's for their safety. Just because a speaker hole is there doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.

IMHO you should continue with what you have but ditch amplifying the rear speakers, bridge one of the 4 channels to run the front door 6x9's and run the other 4ch to the active phd's. it wont fix your bad sub positioning or the horrible dash mounts but the front stage with have a fighting chance. then you could also still run your subs through the dsp and use all those fruity purple rca's you paid for without having to get another custom rca to bypass.

and the tiniest bit of respect was gone once you proved to be too lazy to read the documentation for your dsp and follow instructions.

John u seem to have an answer for everything... u ask peoples opinions and then say well I could do that but I don't want to and I'm gunna do it my own way.... THEN WHY THE FVCK ARE YOU ASKING US FOR HELP IF YOUR JUST GOING TO DO IT YOUR OWN WAY .
Most here IGNORE my salient questions, such as:

"I know the one or two outputs from the [Alpine PXA-H800] DSP say they are for subwoofers, but can I use them for full range as well?""

I never have had anyone answer this one!!

John Kuthe...

well page 10 of the install manual for your dsp clearly prints exactly how the outputs can be used and the owner manual can also teach you how to configure and use all the features. keep in mind this processor is not a kuthe one off, but a flexible sound processor made to fill the needs of people with many system inputs and types.

from the install manual:

The location of the connection to the external amp for the audio output terminal (RCA output) varies, as specified below, depending on the

connected speaker system.

Speaker System CH-1(L) CH-2® CH-3(L) CH-4® CH-5(L) CH-6® CH-7(L) CH-8®

F-2way+R+SW

(4.2ch system)

Front2Way Rear Subwoofer

Front High(L) Front High® Front Low(L)*1 Front Low®*1 Rear(L) Rear® Subwoofer(L)*2 Subwoofer®*2

F-3way+SW

(2.2ch system)

Front3Way Subwoofer

Front High(L) Front High® Front Mid(L)*1 Front Mid®*1 Front Low(L) Front Low® Subwoofer(L)*2 Subwoofer®*2

F-3way+R

(4.0ch system)

Front3Way Rear

Front High(L) Front High® Front Mid(L)*1 Front Mid®*1 Front Low(L) Front Low® Rear(L) Rear®

F-2way+R+C+SW

(5.1ch system)

Front2Way Rear Center Subwoofer

Front High(L) Front High® Front Low(L)*1 Front Low®*1 Rear(L) Rear® Center Subwoofer

well page 10 of the install manual for your dsp clearly prints exactly how the outputs can be used and the owner manual can also teach you how to configure and use all the features. keep in mind this processor is not a kuthe one off, but a flexible sound processor made to fill the needs of people with many system inputs and types.

from the install manual:

The location of the connection to the external amp for the audio output terminal (RCA output) varies, as specified below, depending on the

connected speaker system.

Speaker System CH-1(L) CH-2® CH-3(L) CH-4® CH-5(L) CH-6® CH-7(L) CH-8®

F-2way+R+SW

(4.2ch system)

Front2Way Rear Subwoofer

Front High(L) Front High® Front Low(L)*1 Front Low®*1 Rear(L) Rear® Subwoofer(L)*2 Subwoofer®*2

F-3way+SW

(2.2ch system)

Front3Way Subwoofer

Front High(L) Front High® Front Mid(L)*1 Front Mid®*1 Front Low(L) Front Low® Subwoofer(L)*2 Subwoofer®*2

F-3way+R

(4.0ch system)

Front3Way Rear

Front High(L) Front High® Front Mid(L)*1 Front Mid®*1 Front Low(L) Front Low® Rear(L) Rear®

F-2way+R+C+SW

(5.1ch system)

Front2Way Rear Center Subwoofer

Front High(L) Front High® Front Low(L)*1 Front Low®*1 Rear(L) Rear® Center Subwoofer
In other words YOU don't know either!

I happen to KNOW many fancy computerized hardware devices are capable of much more than their native software allows them to be! For example, routers! Commercial routers! The the ones I used and bridged them together AFTER scrapping the manufacture supplied LIMITING software and replaced it with DD-WRT operating software! Both of them, then bridged them together wirelessly! DESPITE the routers' native software to make you BUY a more expensive router by the same maker just to get that feature!

I KNOW how stuff works! It's all about the MONEY! :-(

John Kuthe...

oh sorry I'm only a cisco trained network engineer so I'm sure your Linksys switches are nice, but I do know and posted the answer for you.

F-3way+R

(4.0ch system)

Front3Way Rear

oh sorry I'm only a cisco trained network engineer so I'm sure your Linksys switches are nice, but I do know and posted the answer for you.

F-3way+R

(4.0ch system)

Front3Way Rear

Then you KNOW how hardware manufacturers are SCREWING us consumers by writing limiting software ON PURPOSE!

John Kuthe..

and setting up a wireless bridge is no miracle and could have probably been accomplished by using an ad hoc mode between the 2 "commercial" routers you used with the default software on them.

btw most commercial routers don't have wireless built in so your obviously using some small business/home use labeled equipment

Then you KNOW how hardware manufacturers are SCREWING us consumers by writing limiting software ON PURPOSE!
John Kuthe..
hardware manufactures design software for the 99 percentile,

most people don't need a wireless bridge in their home and you probably don't either

and you always derail your conversations with useless, unimpressive "accomplishments", when all the facts are in your face and your just too ignorant to see or acknowledge them.

Most here IGNORE my salient questions, such as:
"I know the one or two outputs from the [Alpine PXA-H800] DSP say they are for subwoofers, but can I use them for full range as well?""

I never have had anyone answer this one!!

John Kuthe...
I answered this for you already when I suggested the sub-DSP bypassing set-up…go back and re-read it.

F-3way+R

(4.0ch system)

Front3Way Rear

I'm a Cisco-trained geek too. I provision carrier ethernet circuits(of various flavors) for a regional ISP. Mostly layer 2 stuff.

Geeks run the world! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

hardware manufactures design software for the 99 percentile,
I'm not even the 1%, I'm a solitary outlier! That's who I am and I embrace it so it's sadly funny to me when everyone gangs up on me on the Internet like folks here have.

most people don't need a wireless bridge in their home and you probably don't either
Yes I did, either that or run a 50+ foot run of CAT5 wire or drill a hole in my bedroom wall and into the kitchen where the house's main wifi router is for a much shorter run of CAT5 wire. I have a very cheap house telephone over the Internet but it needs to plug into an Ethernet port of a live modem or router. By setting up my own bridged router to the main house router, it gave me four live Ethernet ports on the back of my bridged router on top of my desk! Neither router says it can bridge to another router, but when I installed DD-WRT firmware on both routers DD-WRT is easy to bridge router with! So I did and I've been running that for over a year flawlessly! I'm pretty proud of that,. Yes I know it was no big thing especially with software that was not too cryptic. Except to the computer networking novice.

Plus now in addition to the Wifi card I have in my desktop, I also have a redundant Ethernet connection plugged into this bridged router on the top of my computer desk, which I'm using right now because the Wifi card in my PC is acting flaky and dropping my wifi connection for no apparent reason! Nice to have redundant Internet connections! :)

and you always derail your conversations with useless, unimpressive "accomplishments", when all the facts are in your face and your just too ignorant to see or acknowledge them.
Often I can't adequately "decode" the instructions too well because I am lazy when reading them and most computer docs get lost in irrelevant c r a p most of the time, which this Alpine PDX-H800 Owner's Manual is 67 pages pf LOTS of meretricious piffle to me! I don't want to wade through the majority of the doc being crap I don't have and have no interest in anyway! Like stuff for a cell phone or Pandora, which I do not want to have! I just want a solid CD audio system that plays MP3s That's how I store my music. IOW I don't want to have to study like I'm trying to pass a computer certification exam. I passed the MS Outlook email certification exam years ago because that was the email system our team supported when I worked for IBM 1995-2002.

But I'm out of that business now, thanks glub! And hated it because most of what I had to do was supporting other people's code! With it's f u c k ing limitations and inadequacies!! Like I foresee this Alpine DSP being. I wish I was competent at writing some firmware code to do exactly what *I* want with the hardware of this H800 DSP!! I'll bet there is no inherent hardware restriction that any channels must be for a subwoofer. What I want are 8 basic full range audio channels ultimately customizable with all the bells and whistles a DSP can offer!

John Kuthe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.