Existing install going into protect at high levels

ephmynus

CarAudio.com Newbie
I apologize for the long post but I’m absolutely lost. I have a 19 GTI, and installed my amp and sub nearly the same day I brought it home brand new. I’ve never had any issues and it’s been working 4 years no hiccups. Recently something has changed and I can’t figure it out. I am by no means a professional but I’ve always installed simple additions like this to my vehicles with no trouble.

My original setup in this car was an Infinity 12” (forget the model) but years ago I changed to a Kicker 43CVR122. I’ve had this wired in parallel to an Alpine MRP-M500. Close to 20’ of 4 gauge power to the battery with a BOSS 100 amp fuse 4 inches from the battery and a Leiges Audio 4 gauge to 8 gauge reducer fuse block with 4 inches of 8 gauge running to the amp. I used T Tap connectors at the rear outs on my stock head unit with close to 20’ of 16 gauge speaker wire running to the hatch where my amp is. I’ve got about 9 inches of 4 gauge ground wire running directly to the chassis where I sanded down to bear metal. This setup has not given me any trouble over the years.

Recently my amp started going into protect mode almost immediately upon turning my radio on. It will stay on at low levels but once I turn it up, it cuts out. I actually had another new sub sitting around, same model so I switched it out, checked my wiring and same result.

Checked my wiring and noticed the ground had become just a little loose so I tightened it up, it won’t budge and still nothing.
I checked the rest of my connections and found the first 2 inches of my power line had been burnt at the battery. I also found that one set of my speaker leads was not registering any ohms. I tried that direct to a speaker with no amp and it wasn’t giving any audio. So, I’ve replaced the power line start to finish and I retapped the leads off my head unit with brand new connections and new 16 gauge speaker wire. I’ve got good audio on both sets direct to speakers now. I’ve also checked the remote wire with no issues.

Lost, and knowing this amp is really old, I swapped over to a BOSS R1100M. It’s not the best amp but I don’t need much and I’m not one to play my music for the neighborhood. It’s working to a point but still going into protect mode once my volume is about half way. As a last ditch effort, I finally switched the sub to be wired in series and knocked the gain way down. Playing with the different levels, it’s still going into protect mode depending on the appropriate levels, I.e. half gain, 3/4 or less volume. I really don’t feel like this should ever hit this issue but it won’t stop. I can also monitor my power levels on my battery and the only time it ever fluctuates is if I’m listening in accessory and not running the car. I’ve legitimately changed everything and I’m really starting to wonder if this has something to do with my head unit, which I really don’t think I’m willing to replace. But if I remove the amp and sub from the equation, the stereo works fine even at full blast. Are there any cheap ways to test the whole setup without my head unit? What else am I missing?
IMG_5878.jpeg
IMG_5877.jpeg

How Old is your battery under the hood? Have you cleaned any corrosion off your existing ground location or checked Supply wiring and ground connections for Security, and Clean ends?

How Old is your battery under the hood? Have you cleaned any corrosion off your existing ground location or checked Supply wiring and ground connections for Security, and Clean ends?
The battery was replaced about a year ago and no trouble after it was changed. There’s zero corrosion and at the time I replaced the ground and power wire, I replaced all connectors as well.

If one set of speaker leads had 0 ohms (and that's coming off the speaker), then the coil is bad. You need a new subwoofer. You sound like you have spent more time than the average person that asks in here, but did you check the ohms off each coil (for both subs)?

Do this to set your gains:

What are you using T-taps for?

I did check, and thank you. My apologies if I didn’t explain that clearly. Both subs are testing fine. I originally didn’t have continuity in one of my sets of speaker wires and it would not drive a lone speaker run off of it. But that’s why I ultimately decided to retap the leads with new connections and wires. Once that work was completed, I can drive speakers without the amp involved just fine.

I originally didn’t have continuity in one of my sets of speaker wires and it would not drive a lone speaker run off of it.
I'm not getting precisely which wire is reading a short but this could certainly cause amps to protect or just blow.

You could probably rule out input voltage issue by just using a DMM on the power and ground terminals of the amp to make sure you're staying up above 12V when this happens, I don't believe there's anything you can do on the RCA input side that would cause an amp to protect, so all that's left would be thermal protect (is the amp very hot when it powers down?) or overloading the output side by driving too low impedance/short in the speaker output.

Can you see the entirety of all speaker wires coming out of your amp? If the insulation has failed and bare wire is touching metal in the car or the other wire that is a problem.

I apologize for the long post but I’m absolutely lost. I have a 19 GTI, and installed my amp and sub nearly the same day I brought it home brand new. I’ve never had any issues and it’s been working 4 years no hiccups. Recently something has changed and I can’t figure it out. I am by no means a professional but I’ve always installed simple additions like this to my vehicles with no trouble.

My original setup in this car was an Infinity 12” (forget the model) but years ago I changed to a Kicker 43CVR122. I’ve had this wired in parallel to an Alpine MRP-M500. Close to 20’ of 4 gauge power to the battery with a BOSS 100 amp fuse 4 inches from the battery and a Leiges Audio 4 gauge to 8 gauge reducer fuse block with 4 inches of 8 gauge running to the amp. I used T Tap connectors at the rear outs on my stock head unit with close to 20’ of 16 gauge speaker wire running to the hatch where my amp is. I’ve got about 9 inches of 4 gauge ground wire running directly to the chassis where I sanded down to bear metal. This setup has not given me any trouble over the years.

Recently my amp started going into protect mode almost immediately upon turning my radio on. It will stay on at low levels but once I turn it up, it cuts out. I actually had another new sub sitting around, same model so I switched it out, checked my wiring and same result.

Checked my wiring and noticed the ground had become just a little loose so I tightened it up, it won’t budge and still nothing.
I checked the rest of my connections and found the first 2 inches of my power line had been burnt at the battery. I also found that one set of my speaker leads was not registering any ohms. I tried that direct to a speaker with no amp and it wasn’t giving any audio. So, I’ve replaced the power line start to finish and I retapped the leads off my head unit with brand new connections and new 16 gauge speaker wire. I’ve got good audio on both sets direct to speakers now. I’ve also checked the remote wire with no issues.

Lost, and knowing this amp is really old, I swapped over to a BOSS R1100M. It’s not the best amp but I don’t need much and I’m not one to play my music for the neighborhood. It’s working to a point but still going into protect mode once my volume is about half way. As a last ditch effort, I finally switched the sub to be wired in series and knocked the gain way down. Playing with the different levels, it’s still going into protect mode depending on the appropriate levels, I.e. half gain, 3/4 or less volume. I really don’t feel like this should ever hit this issue but it won’t stop. I can also monitor my power levels on my battery and the only time it ever fluctuates is if I’m listening in accessory and not running the car. I’ve legitimately changed everything and I’m really starting to wonder if this has something to do with my head unit, which I really don’t think I’m willing to replace. But if I remove the amp and sub from the equation, the stereo works fine even at full blast. Are there any cheap ways to test the whole setup without my head unit? What else am I missing?View attachment 52654View attachment 52655
maybe bad amps. I would purchase a decent amp off of Amazon. They usually arrive in 2 days if you have "Prime." If the problem persists, you can return it for free.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...