**Advice needed** Am I going to damage my sub with this amp??

Participant count
  • Participant list

KcContractor

CarAudio.com Recruit
Installing DS18 Hooligan H-K02 amp to single JL 10w7-3. (750w RMS 1500w max) 4 channel recoil amp is going in for component speakers.

Amp and sub specs in photo. Ran with 0 guage OFC copper.

I read online that if I keep the gains low it could be okay but it’s my fault driver and don’t want to damage anything…

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0812.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0052.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 16
Installing DS18 Hooligan H-K02 amp to single JL 10w7-3. (750w RMS 1500w max) 4 channel recoil amp is going in for component speakers.

Amp and sub specs in photo. Ran with 0 guage OFC copper.

I read online that if I keep the gains low it could be okay but it’s my fault driver and don’t want to damage anything…

Any advice is greatly appreciated
He's back!

That JL is a 3 ohm sub rated at 750 watts. That amp puts out around 1200-1300 watts at 3 ohms, so that is really a perfect match. Set the gains to slightly under clipping and you should be good to go! I'd be surprised if you ever feed it 500 let alone 750, that's a really loud sub at 500 watts! Nice to know you have spare if needed though.

He's back!

That JL is a 3 ohm sub rated at 750 watts. That amp puts out around 1200-1300 watts at 3 ohms, so that is really a perfect match. Set the gains to slightly under clipping and you should be good to go! I'd be surprised if you ever feed it 500 let alone 750, that's a really loud sub at 500 watts! Nice to know you have spare if needed though.
I’m back! I’ve almost got everything installed. I can always count on you for help. I googled some things and had some concerning results

Attachments

• IMG_0811.png
    183.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0810.png
    276.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0807.png
    196 KB · Views: 14
I’m back! I’ve almost got everything installed. I can always count on you for help. I googled some things and had some concerning results
It's all good man! I think that setup is going to rock your world! I alway want to go with more power than the sub is rated for a couple of reasons. That amp is built like a tank and will barely sneeze at 3 ohms all day long. You will lose a good deal of actual output power as you turn it up too so something like what you have should be perfect.

I have 1500 watts available to my two 33v2's rated at 800 watts a pair. ;)

It's all good man! I think that setup is going to rock your world! I alway want to go with more power than the sub is rated for a couple of reasons. That amp is built like a tank and will barely sneeze at 3 ohms all day long. You will lose a good deal of actual output power as you turn it up too so something like what you have should be perfect.

I have 1500 watts available to my two 33v2's rated at 800 watts a pair. ;)
Hell yeah, thanks again!!!

Gotta remember that a 10w7 isn’t a 3” coil, it’s a 4 layer 2.5” coil. Extended play at 1000 rms plus will burn the windings depending on how constant the bass notes are and the frequency. Just gotta use common sense and don’t be playing bass mechanic at full tilt for too long 😅

Last edited:
I’ve almost got everything installed. I can always count on you for help. I googled some things and had some concerning results
I do not know why those users would warn about a little more power. You can set the Gain low to put out the power you need. The formula is A/C Volts = Square Root of (Watts x Ohms). In your case you want to give the sub 750 watts, the sub is 3 Ohms. 750x3 = 2,250. Square Root of 2,250 = 47.43.
Connect your multimeter to the amp's sub output (no sub), set multi to AC Volts, turn gain up until you get 47 Volts.

Last edited:
I do not know why those users would warn about a little more power. You can set the Gain low to put out the power you need. The formula is A/C Volts = Square Root of Watts x Ohms. In your case you want to give the sub 750 watts, the sub is 3 Ohms. 750x3 = 2,250. Square Root of 2,250 = 47.43.
Connect your multimeter to the amp's sub output (no sub), set multi to AC Volts, turn gain up until you get 47 Volts.
I was in my soundroom yesterday and testing a sub for my sons HT. I was using my Sundown 1000.4D in two channel mode. The sub is a an inexpensive dual 12" using Dayten HE 12s and 4 Polk audio 12" passive radiators. At around 250 watts it filled the 12'x14' room with an amazing amount of bass - enough to shake a picture on the wall crooked.

If you tune that amp correctly and ever feed even 500 watts, your gonna feel it in your chest like nobody's business!

Set those gains correctly and you should be fine.

Last edited:
At around 250 watts it filled the 12'x14' room with an amazing amount of bass - enough to shake a picture on the wall crooked.
I imagine that much cone area gives a warm and fuzzy feeling. The 8" Bazookas have rattled some pictures when testing inside the house, but 10s or 12s... can't even turn them up 1/3 of the way without fear of knocking something off the wall.

I imagine that much cone area gives a warm and fuzzy feeling. The 8" Bazookas have rattled some pictures when testing inside the house, but 10s or 12s... can't even turn them up 1/3 of the way without fear of knocking something off the wall.
I was actually surprised. The sub was made on an educated guess of what thought might work with a box I started for something else. It came out pretty impressive. A 5 cubic foot box, dual GRS HE 12" woofers and 4 Polk audio passive radiators from some old-school polk audio HUGE monitor/towers. Was playing some Tove lo and it literally shook the foundation. I was like, DAMN! Sometimes you just get lucky. It's going to set on the floor sideways with the passives facing out the rear. We were thinking it be great to set his 80" on top (with isolation feet of course) but after testing it out with a few hundred watts and knowing he will be feeding it with a BASH 500 watt amp, thinking that he might want to just hang it on the wall above and behind. I didn't measure it but pretty sure itis hitting into the low 20's!

Last edited:
I didn't measure it but pretty sure itis hitting into the low 20's!
I bet those sci-fi scenes where they are talking and you can hear the low rumble of the ship in the background would sound awesome. Watch Fate/Apocrypha, the fight scene sound effects will make you giddy on a system like that!
We were thinking it be great to set his 80"
😳 That is huge.

I bet those sci-fi scenes where they are talking and you can hear the low rumble of the ship in the background would sound awesome. Watch Fate/Apocrypha, the fight scene sound effects will make you giddy on a system like that!

😳 That is huge.
Yeah, funny that he did not consult with me on that purchase, was one of those, OMG, it's 80 inches and it is aon black friday $500 off. Really should have gone with a 60-65, would have been fine. Fortunately he can place the sofa about 14 feet back (longer, narrow living room space) which makes it almost acceptable.

We're going to hook everything up this coming weekend and I brought the original Jurassic Park on Blu-ray! Nothing like a little tyrannosaurus rex footsteps to land a thug or two!

, funny that he did not consult with me on that purchase, was one of those, OMG, it's 80 inches and it is aon black friday $500 off. Really should have gone with a 60-65, would have been fine. Fortunately he can place the sofa about 14 feet back (longer, narrow living room space) which makes it almost acceptable.
Most people do not realize how much is too big of a tv until they are sitting right in front of it missing alot of the action. That's why I roll with my 13" Zenith Chromacolor II cathode ray tube!
We're going to hook everything up this coming weekend and I brought the original Jurassic Park on Blu-ray! Nothing like a little tyrannosaurus rex footsteps to land a thug or two!
Nice.

Most people do not realize how much is too big of a tv until they are sitting right in front of it missing alot of the action. That's why I roll with my 13" Zenith Chromacolor II cathode ray tube!

Nice.
I sold hi-end Pioneer Elite Kuro and Panasonic plasmas and projection screens for years, there is an actual rule for measuring the distances needed. We would actually have people sign wavers on the return policy when we new they wanted to put an 80" projection in there standard size living room. It's like going to the movies and sitting in the very front row, not good.

I do not know why those users would warn about a little more power. You can set the Gain low to put out the power you need. The formula is A/C Volts = Square Root of (Watts x Ohms). In your case you want to give the sub 750 watts, the sub is 3 Ohms. 750x3 = 2,250. Square Root of 2,250 = 47.43.
This is literally in every jl audio amp manual.is it the best way to set gains? Not really but it works perfectly well with amps that are known to make rated power. I would use a -5db test tone for the average user.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...