Garbage Can sub box.... I need help

CoilBurner

Banned
Waco
Basically Im cheap as sin and am looking for a temp setup.

I am looking to build an enclosure for a AQ HDC3 18" subwoofer and was looking to make one out of a sonotube.

Well I found the next best thing, at my work we have these big thick plastic barrels and they just so happen to turn out to be the perfect size and depth.

Heres a pic of it after I gave it a rinse. And with its next victim etc...

5vb1y0.jpg

htyc6a.jpg

Anywho. My idea is to cut a single 3/4" baffle for the front for the subwoofer, and port at the other end via flared aero port.

The problem I face is that I **** at math and have a hard enough time doing slot port enclosures. Can anyone help me crunch a few numbers.

As best I can tell with my tape measurer, it has an internal diameter of 22.5" and a total height of 29.5" as of right now

On the one calculator i found it said it was like 7 cubes as it sits, so its gonna have to be cut down. But Im also gonna have to battle port length issues.

Can anyone help me with some numbers?? I was thinking probly 2 4" ports or maybe just one 8" flared?? 10"?? Doesnt matter to me as long as it sounds good.

And in the ballpark of 5-6 cubes @ 38hz

Inspiration...

0003.jpg

Its not going to be simply this thick plastic tube, which is rigid as hell btw.

It will have 2-3 layers of mat and a good bit of fab on the baffle. Just need some port length help

You guys never heard of sonotube enclosures???

It will have 2-3 layers of mat and a good bit of fab on the baffle. Just need some port length help

Do the words "acoustic properties" mean anything to you?

2-3 layers of mat in the entire thing? Explain to me how this is going to save you any money over just buying MDF?

You presented this idea as a cheap alternative to building an enclosure and that alone is hilarious.

Noone is saying you can't make this thing suitable for a subwoofer, but it'll take a ton of fab work and a **** load of fiberglassing/bracing. Building a basic enclosure would cost no more than what you'd have to spend in order to make this ridiculous idea a reality.

And I'm assuming you'd want it to look decent in the end as well. That alone will take a ridiculous amount of effort...

Acoustic properties?? Sonotubes have been used for SPL and home audio for years, aparently they work great.

All Im asking for is help with the math and some port opinions for the volume and tune i want..

How is that going to fit in a vehicle anyways? Unless that guy is short that is too big for a truck or van, unless is going from front to back of bed of truck, but even that is taking alot of space. That is just crazy to me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.