Gain setting questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeremy11

So I am running 2way active off a pioneer hu.  I have a gm-8604 for my tweeters, a Rockford t600-4 for my mids. Both running bridged of course. I do not have access to the dd1 or whatever its called and I don't really know of any reputable shops near me. So in reading other threads @Jeffdachef has said dont use test tones. So is it a multimeter setting? If so how much or what percentage to set it to? I'm sure I could blow these speakers with too much gain. I do want max volume but the right way. Almost forgot. The tweeters are the alpine type x Ebay specials, and mids are silverflute 6.5s. Thanks in advance.

you can only use tones if you actually analyze your music with a spectrum analyzer like on audacity and you generate a proper test tone with proper DB recording levels. That usually takes a long time to analyze your whole library to find the songs with the highest db recording level to get your safe ceiling limit.  Otherwise if you use a 0 db test tone, you are leaving way too much output left on the table.  a -10 db tone or -5 can be clipping its literally guessing unless you know exactly what recording level your music is at. You can do it to get a ballpark but you'll need to figure out your system limits yourself.  You are playing music not 1000hz test tones it will behave dynamically and change drastically, a test tone wont help much in getting the max output/max driver power handling.  What will likely happen  when setting gains with a multi-meter = is you use a generic 1khz 0db test tone for your amp, you set it for 50 watts to the tweeter... then the output is complete sh*t because music in general does not reach 0 db recording levels, if the actual source file is -8 db recording levels, you have several notches on the gain left.  So you'll basically just raise it up yourself anyways or leave it as is wondering why its soo weak.

Most important thing is to train your ear to know when the mid and tweeter is stressed. Simple rule is, if it starts to get really peaky, stops getting louder, makes any noise or crackle, you've gone waaay too far etc.... back it up a bit. do short listening intervals and check the tweeter and mid for heat(before you put back in your doors)  Also make sure your crossovers are at a good point and level first then play around with the points until you get the best sound quality then do EQ and time alignment etc...

Usually if done right, you should have plenty of output without needing to come close to maxing out the drivers.  

If your multi-meter has a peak hold function, you can play music and turn it up and see your peak ac voltage and limit power through that as well.

you can only use tones if you actually analyze your music with a spectrum analyzer like on audacity and you generate a proper test tone with proper DB recording levels. That usually takes a long time to analyze your whole library to find the songs with the highest db recording level to get your safe ceiling limit.  Otherwise if you use a 0 db test tone, you are leaving way too much output left on the table.  a -10 db tone or -5 can be clipping its literally guessing unless you know exactly what recording level your music is at. You can do it to get a ballpark but you'll need to figure out your system limits yourself.  You are playing music not 1000hz test tones it will behave dynamically and change drastically, a test tone wont help much in getting the max output/max driver power handling.  What will likely happen  when setting gains with a multi-meter = is you use a generic 1khz 0db test tone for your amp, you set it for 50 watts to the tweeter... then the output is complete sh*t because music in general does not reach 0 db recording levels, if the actual source file is -8 db recording levels, you have several notches on the gain left.  So you'll basically just raise it up yourself anyways or leave it as is wondering why its soo weak.

Most important thing is to train your ear to know when the mid and tweeter is stressed. Simple rule is, if it starts to get really peaky, stops getting louder, makes any noise or crackle, you've gone waaay too far etc.... back it up a bit. do short listening intervals and check the tweeter and mid for heat(before you put back in your doors)  Also make sure your crossovers are at a good point and level first then play around with the points until you get the best sound quality then do EQ and time alignment etc...

Usually if done right, you should have plenty of output without needing to come close to maxing out the drivers.  

If your multi-meter has a peak hold function, you can play music and turn it up and see your peak ac voltage and limit power through that as well.
So mostly by ear and probably tweaking it several times? Im ok with that. Im sure it will take a little bit but I think I can figure it out. Thanks 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.