Fuse size

Fuse rating is what will pass through it without blowing. A fuse will pass a fair bit more current before it actually blows, so on music the 120a will likely work just fine, and give the amp slight protection if that is what the manufacturer included / recommends for that model.

What size wire are you running?

Edit: I should also add that in real world use on subwoofers, it is even less likely to pull that much current compared to the Dyno that feeds into resistors which don't change impedance like music through subwoofers / enclosure will. The Dyno is great in that it shows what an amp can do, but again with impedance rise, voltage fluctuations, you may not see that high current other than briefly.

Last edited:
Is the long run 0 gauge or 2/0?

0 gauge should have a max fuse of
You fuse for your wires amperage limit not the amp.

Correct. I suppose it depends on what all he is running off that power wire. Installing a 120a fuse inline with 2/0 is fine if all he is running is that Audiopipe amp, wire is easily protected, and the amp has what AP recommends. However, if running other amps on that 2/0, then it should be fused at the wire limit and then separate fuses for each amp near the amp that don’t have one built in. This is easier if running a distribution block of some sort when splitting the wires to each amp. But yeah, not sure what all he is installing, other than 120a fuse should work fine with that AP amp.

Here is a chart with fuse sizes for common wire from a good source bcae1.
http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Every power wire is supposed to be fused at it's maximum capacity, even the big 3 alternator to battery run, and any subsequent smaller wires that split to each amp if running more than one. Some people skip fusing everything, some just fuse the main run. It is safer for your car to fuse everything properly as wire is a fire hazard if not fused.

https://postimages.org/][/url]

Thanks for all the replies! And thanks for not bashing me for basic questions. I completely understand now.

I have enough 0 gauge and 2/0 gauge (with 0 gauge reducers on each end) I still haven't installed the system yet, just getting what parts I still need. The 270 amp alternator and xs 3400 battery is going in next weekend. Then custom box is being built for a AP TXX-BDC4-15D2. This is all going in a 2018 Infiniti Q60.

I'm excited!

What are you using for an LOC or DSP
ARe you changing any of the front end
Do you have the Bose system

I do have the Bose system, I'm installing an Aucar mark 5 Tesla style screen which has preamp outputs so no LOC. In the future I plan on upgrading the front but for now I just need more bass added to the no lows Bose.

Is the long run 0 gauge or 2/0?

0 gauge should have a max fuse of

Correct. I suppose it depends on what all he is running off that power wire. Installing a 120a fuse inline with 2/0 is fine if all he is running is that Audiopipe amp, wire is easily protected, and the amp has what AP recommends. However, if running other amps on that 2/0, then it should be fused at the wire limit and then separate fuses for each amp near the amp that don’t have one built in. This is easier if running a distribution block of some sort when splitting the wires to each amp. But yeah, not sure what all he is installing, other than 120a fuse should work fine with that AP amp.
Question if im testing an amp can i run it with lowered amp fuses on it. Customer of mine brought me an amp that powers but no sound but i cant confirm because its missing its fuses. Customer brought me 60 amp fuses but the amp takes 70 amp ones. Can i run it with those just so i can test them at low volume or is that a no go. Or is there another way. I just dont want to wait as long as i did for another set of fuses.

Question if im testing an amp can i run it with lowered amp fuses on it. Customer of mine brought me an amp that powers but no sound but i cant confirm because its missing its fuses. Customer brought me 60 amp fuses but the amp takes 70 amp ones. Can i run it with those just so i can test them at low volume or is that a no go. Or is there another way. I just dont want to wait as long as i did for another set of fuses.

Yes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...