Frequency Setting Help.

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have 2 Dynaudio MD102 in the top of my doors, and 2 Dynaudio MW172 8" in the bottom of my doors. also 2 x 12" in the trunk. a PPI 900.4 for the Dyns and a crescendo 1500.1 for the subs.

I have a frequency point of, 2500hz at 12db slope between the tweeter and mid. .and 63hz between the mids and sub. it sounds real good, but I'm curious about something?

Should I leave a Gap between the mid and tweeter? like 2500hz for the tweeter and 2000hz for the top of the mids? and how about 63hz between the sub and mid... is that ok or should i bring it up to 80hz?

thanks

I have 2 Dynaudio MD102 in the top of my doors, and 2 Dynaudio MW172 8" in the bottom of my doors. also 2 x 12" in the trunk. a PPI 900.4 for the Dyns and a crescendo 1500.1 for the subs.
I have a frequency point of, 2500hz at 12db slope between the tweeter and mid. .and 63hz between the mids and sub. it sounds real good, but I'm curious about something?

Should I leave a Gap between the mid and tweeter? like 2500hz for the tweeter and 2000hz for the top of the mids? and how about 63hz between the sub and mid... is that ok or should i bring it up to 80hz?

thanks
Have you ever used an analyzer to look at the frequency response?

One reason I ask this is because you likely already have an audible dip or gap happening between the top end of the mid and the bottom end of the tweeter.

Even if you don't own or buy a calibrated microphone, you can try an RTA app and your phone's internal microphone and play a full bandwidth pink noise track on the radio. Since I don't know if any of this makes sense to you, let me know your thoughts and we'll continue from there.

thanks for the help.ok so, all i have is an android phone galaxy4, i don't have a mic. and i couldn't find the same app the guy uses. do you know of a good one for android phones? also, is this a good track i could use for a pink noise.

it doesnt work like that. You need actual professional gear(mic) and software. Apps are all garbage and your phone mic will never achieve any accurate reading because its just a small phone mic for talking, nothing else.

thanks
simple.... just play around. Dont be afraid to experiment and when you have a setting you like, just record it with your phone so you have a reference just in case you forget or the vehicle resets.

simple.... just play around. Dont be afraid to experiment and when you have a setting you like, just record it with your phone so you have a reference just in case you forget or the vehicle resets.
ya that's what i was planning on doing, and that's why i was asking for advice/guidance ,.. especially about the gap between the mid and tweeter. the reason i want to know about the gap is because, I don't want both speakers to play the same frequency. 2500hz or 2200hz whatever i choose for that point. I just though maybe i would get too much of that frequency if they both play it. I thought there might be a rule of thumb or something like that to get you started.

Also I did write Dynaudio before coming here,I figured at the price they sell these you were allowed to ask a question..lol this is what they had to say:

"Unfortunately I can not give you much advice on this. We do sell filters for these speakers and the two way ones have a crossover of 2200 Hz so you are not far from that. In the brochure for the drivers you can see frequency curves. I think that steeper slopes are not worth the extra hassle and expense, but that is purely an instinctive personal opinion based on my limited experience with loudspeaker design.

I suggest you take inspiration from our own filter designs and from forums and litterature on the web.

Anders Borbye

Customer Care Manager"

ya that's what i was planning on doing, and that's why i was asking for advice/guidance ,.. especially about the gap between the mid and tweeter. the reason i want to know about the gap is because, I don't want both speakers to play the same frequency. 2500hz or 2200hz whatever i choose for that point. I just though maybe i would get too much of that frequency if they both play it. I thought there might be a rule of thumb or something like that to get you started.
Also I did write Dynaudio before coming here,I figured at the price they sell these you were allowed to ask a question..lol this is what they had to say:

"Unfortunately I can not give you much advice on this. We do sell filters for these speakers and the two way ones have a crossover of 2200 Hz so you are not far from that. In the brochure for the drivers you can see frequency curves. I think that steeper slopes are not worth the extra hassle and expense, but that is purely an instinctive personal opinion based on my limited experience with loudspeaker design.

I suggest you take inspiration from our own filter designs and from forums and litterature on the web.

Anders Borbye

Customer Care Manager"
sometimes a gap works, sometimes an overlap works. In my setup mids and midbass sound a lot better with an overlap.

In some other setups with PA style speakers, there was as big of a gap as 3150hz mid low pass and 10khz tweeter high pass just to tame the inherent peakiness of PA drivers which literally turned super tweeters into sounding like decent silk domes. It still played the frequencies but attentuated much of the garbage sound that typically comes with PA drivers.

sometimes a gap works, sometimes an overlap works. In my setup mids and midbass sound a lot better with an overlap.
In some other setups with PA style speakers, there was as big of a gap as 3150hz mid low pass and 10khz tweeter high pass just to tame the inherent peakiness of PA drivers which literally turned super tweeters into sounding like decent silk domes. It still played the frequencies but attentuated much of the garbage sound that typically comes with PA drivers.
I see you have the Pioneer 80PRS, I have that as well, if i do an auto eq and auto time alignment should that be good enough? do you do the 2 of "em at the same time? I never got around to trying this. been thinking about it for a while though.

I see you have the Pioneer 80PRS, I have that as well, if i do an auto eq and auto time alignment should that be good enough? do you do the 2 of "em at the same time? I never got around to trying this. been thinking about it for a while though.
never do the auto EQ time alignment. It messes up your subwoofer frequencies either cuts or boosts way too much and can lead to you clipping the hell out of your equipment. The time alignment is off as well. Its best to set everything manually.

never do the auto EQ time alignment. It messes up your subwoofer frequencies either cuts or boosts way too much and can lead to you clipping the hell out of your equipment. The time alignment is off as well. Its best to set everything manually.
Wow thanks for the heads up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have 2 Dynaudio MD102 in the top of my doors, and 2 Dynaudio MW172 8" in the bottom of my doors.
Are both of these driver pairs installed flush with the doors? What I mean is are the centers pointed across the vehicle or are they angled in any way toward the center of the interior?

I have a reason for posting this image which I will get to later.

Dynaudio_MD102_MW172_FR_Graphs.png

Are both of these driver pairs installed flush with the doors? What I mean is are the centers pointed across the vehicle or are they angled in any way toward the center of the interior?
I have a reason for posting this image which I will get to later.

Dynaudio_MD102_MW172_FR_Graphs.png
the tweeters are pretty well angled towards the middle of the car, The mids not as much but still on an slight angle towards the center and upwards. I was looking to upload a few pics i just took, but i can't figure it out.

so what's the next step?

i put the pink noise on a USB, i figured that I'll have to play it like this.. but how do i measure using this program?. where do i hold the phone.. at what volume do i put the radio?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.