Four 12's or two 15's?

OP, if you take that $200 you were going to spend on the extra CVX's, and sell you current CVX's for 300-400, you could buy a couple HDC3 15's. They'd match up perfectly with two CX1200's. You'd just have to gain match them since it doesn't look like they're strappable. Or just buy a different amp.
Just sayin.
As much as I wanted to wall four 12's... I do believe you've persuaded me into changing decisions lol. Ill honestly probably end up walling two 15's. and I've actually put a lot of consideration into the hdc3's. I may go with a pair. Ill just have to see!

And if the subs that the guy has ok Craigslist were dvc4 ohms instead of two, I would still probably snag those subs. I was pretty pumped to wall off four 12's and have an all put Kicker sub stage. If only the impendeces weren't different.

But then again... EVERYONE here hates on Kicker lol.

As much as I wanted to wall four 12's... I do believe you've persuaded me into changing decisions lol. Ill honestly probably end up walling two 15's. and I've actually put a lot of consideration into the hdc3's. I may go with a pair. Ill just have to see!
And if the subs that the guy has ok Craigslist were dvc4 ohms instead of two, I would still probably snag those subs. I was pretty pumped to wall off four 12's and have an all put Kicker sub stage. If only the impendeces weren't different.

There is a good reason why kicker is hated. Start with the square subs, they have more cone area but no excursion. They need a much larger box to preform well and that box needed is the size of the next size up round sub that has excursion. See what I'm getting at? And $200 for a pair is all I would pay. It's not that good of a deal.

I think what you'll find is that kicker subs aren't popular around here, mostly because they're grossly over priced. If you look at the CVX compared to other $300 subwoofers, i think it's pretty easy to see they're a rip off.

case and point.

Kicker 10CVX122 (10CVX12-2) 12" Dual 2 ohm CompVX Subwoofer

v.s.

Death Row-12 D1 Incriminator Audio 12" 1000W Dual 1-Ohm Death Row Series

BL12 - Fi Car Audio Store

However, kicker amps are actually pretty good, and I wouldn't have a problem running them myself. Same overpriced subs/good amps example is Rockford.

I think what you'll find is that kicker subs aren't popular around here, mostly because they're grossly over priced. If you look at the CVX compared to other $300 subwoofers, i think it's pretty easy to see they're a rip off.
case and point.

v.s.

However, kicker amps are actually pretty good, and I wouldn't have a problem running them myself. Same overpriced subs/good amps example is Rockford.
There amps make good power but lack in function. That same power and function can be found for the same cost. They are not good just easily available.

There is a good reason why kicker is hated. Start with the square subs, they have more cone area but no excursion. They need a much larger box to preform well and that box needed is the size of the next size up round sub that has excursion. See what I'm getting at? And $200 for a pair is all I would pay. It's not that good of a deal.
True. But I could always swap out those cvx's for four even more powerful subs at some point in time. Like four hi-performance P3 PSI 12's for a total of around 12krms. Ye know? And as far as 'wow' factors go for people not necessarily big into car audio, I personally think 4 walled off 12's would look much more impressive than two 15's. But that's just me!

Anyways, I'll still probably end up finding a pair of 15's instead of four 12's.

There amps make good power but lack in function. That same power and function can be found for the same cost. They are not good just easily available.
You make a good point and I agree with you. There are other brands of amps I'd rather run, but in the grand scheme of things, Kicker isn't a bad brand for amps.

You make a good point and I agree with you. There are other brands of amps I'd rather run, but in the grand scheme of things, Kicker isn't a bad brand for amps.
I've ran about every ZX amp. 06 1000 to the 11 2500. I wouldn't touch them again, at the time I thought they where the ****.

True. But I could always swap out those cvx's for four even more powerful subs at some point in time. Like four hi-performance P3 PSI 12's for a total of around 12krms. Ye know? And as far as 'wow' factors go for people not necessarily big into car audio, I personally think 4 walled off 12's would look much more impressive than two 15's. But that's just me!
Anyways, I'll still probably end up finding a pair of 15's instead of four 12's.
I've had an 18" in my car before and all people would talk about was how fucking huge it was. I always think big woofers catch people's attention.

You could always go straight for the gold and wall a single 21"

threeQuarterSide.jpg

case and point.

v.s.

I see your point; of course.

I honestly think I may just go with two BL15's. I would probably go with some HDC3's but I heard they like the higher tuning. I want LOW tuning. I want a ground pounder. SPL numbers are just a 'meh' to me. It would be nice if I could hit some high numbers, but I'm more interested in breath taking lows.

I've had an 18" in my car before and all people would talk about was how fucking huge it was. I always think big woofers catch people's attention.
You could always go straight for the gold and wall a single 21"

threeQuarterSide.jpg
****, I didn't even think about that. That would be sick. Oooo, you got my mind going. Oh boy...

The wow factor will be whatever is more violent. Won't be those Kickers.

The wow factor will be whatever is more violent. Won't be those Kickers.
And you have a point. I suppose there's two different wow factors.

I really am considering the incriminator audio 21" now. That would be pretty nifty looking in my itty bitty honda. I wish it gave me some more power though. 1500rms isn't bad, but I was shooting for ~3000rms if not more.

However, I could still keep my current amp and use that to power that death penalty for a while until I can upgrade amps or something, so that's nice!

But if I walled off a 21"... I'm walling off pretty much THAT 21" sub and that one only. Not very many 21" subs that I know of other than that death penalty.

I really am considering the incriminator audio 21" now. That would be pretty nifty looking in my itty bitty honda. I wish it gave me some more power though. 1500rms isn't bad, but I was shooting for ~3000rms if not more.
That sub will take 3000 plus if you know what you are doing.

That's like a $1000 woofer.

Don't be afraid of the HDC3's They like higher tuning for SPL applications, but if you search around, many people have had success with lower tuning. In fact, small chambers, large ports, and low tuning seems to be a common trend.

That sub will take 3000 plus if you know what you are doing.
Oh really? So it can take up to twice its rated power? Interesting. Like I said, I could always start off with my current amp while it's breaking in or something. I'm sure it takes a while to break in a 21. Ughhh... Crazy thoughts. You guys kill me.

And I'm sure 1500 rms is still enough to make some air and bass with that sub. I don't think it would take much power with a 21" cone to make some serious bass.

Oh really? So it can take up to twice its rated power? Interesting. Like I said, I could always start off with my current amp while it's breaking in or something. I'm sure it takes a while to break in a 21. Ughhh... Crazy thoughts. You guys kill me.
Break in isn't by cone area. That's a neo SPL monster.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.