For the last time, PLEASE: clipping does NOT blow speakers/subwoofers

It will blow your speakers, take your girl, disrespect your family and wreck your car!
And it might even blow something else //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

So if clipping is harmless to the speaker, I don't understand why some amp (both home and car) have clipping LED's?

The only purpose I can think of is for tuning purposes. Turn up the gain until the LED just flickers.

So if clipping is harmless to the speaker, I don't understand why some amp (both home and car) have clipping LED's?
If you read the first few pages you would realize the answer. Amp is doing 100 watts and speaker can handle 100watts so everything is ok. Amp starts to clip therefor sending more than 100watts to your speaker and the problem starts.

When the amp clips it is doing above its rated power. As long as the above clipped # is less than the rms of the speaker, there will be no problem. This is all box dependent however.

If you read the first few pages you would realize the answer. Amp is doing 100 watts and speaker can handle 100watts so everything is ok. Amp starts to clip therefor sending more than 100watts to your speaker and the problem starts.When the amp clips it is doing above its rated power. As long as the above clipped # is less than the rms of the speaker, there will be no problem. This is all box dependent however.
Makes sense.

Thanks

so really, clipping could blow your speakers?

It says pretty clearly that it cant in the title of this thread.

So after clipping has its way with your girl, pisses on your dog, murders your family and ***** slaps your eardrums, it could possibly blow some speakers! **** yeah this guy knows how to party.

J/K i get it, i know.

The only purpose I can think of is for tuning purposes. Turn up the gain until the LED just flickers.
If you read the first few pages you would realize the answer. Amp is doing 100 watts and speaker can handle 100watts so everything is ok. Amp starts to clip therefor sending more than 100watts to your speaker and the problem starts.When the amp clips it is doing above its rated power. As long as the above clipped # is less than the rms of the speaker, there will be no problem. This is all box dependent however.
Not exactly. The purpose of the clipping lights on amplifiers has nothing to do with the speakers, rather it's to protect the amplifier from overdriving itself. When the signal is clipped, that means that the amplifier is being pushed beyond its normal output capabilities. This naturally causes unnecessary strain and a lot of heat as a byproduct. When the amp overheats / overdrives one of two things happens: 1. The amp's internal fuse / circuit breaker puts the amplifier into protect mode which makes you reset the amplifier.

2. You cook the amp

Naturally, choice one is preferable than having electrical burn smell in your car for a week.

This post relates to and only relates to situations where clipping is NOT desired. All other situations i.e. tube amplifiers and other warranted distortion sources do not apply for obvious reasons.

I sold my amp to Kieth H and he said it was stuck in clipping mode.. so it blew his Type R's
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

It just doesn't, and don't believe anyone who tells you it does. Seen 4 references to this **** in the last 30 minutes alone.
Wow, I'm amazed, I quess reading Car Audio & eletronics for 20 years has taught me nothing...bummer.

I'm going out right now to run my amps into full on clipping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.