Participant count
  • Participant list

caraudio93
10+ year member

Maine
Hey, I'm looking to buy my first actual setup for myself. I am looking at a Rockford p1 15", which is 200watts RMS/ 400Peak. I have a small truck, extended cab with no seats in the back, so there is enough room for it. However, will this be enough power to add some good sounding bass to my truck? And also Can i just get a cheap 400W amp from wal-mart, which I think is 2 channel, but I'm not sure. Also, if I only hook up one of the amp channels, does it still split the power or will it put it all into that one channel. Thanks

when you hook up a sub to only one channel, it's only half the power. i would reccommend you look around the classifieds here for a better amp, the wal-mart one will be a letdown for you.
Do you even know what your talking about?

Op yes that will work. Won't be the cleanest power. And depending on what amp you get you will have the power for that sub. If you look at most 2channel amps they are usually only 4ohm mono stable.

Well I'm on a really tight budget, which is why I am considering this setup. So you think the walmart, 2 channel amp that is 400w peak will power the sub @ 4 ohms mono?

op's askin if when he hooks up his sub to one of the 2 channels, will it get the full 400 watts, which it wont. he'll have to bridge it, which we should probably tell him how to do... Yes the amp will work for you.

plus, if you're on a tight budget a used amp might be a better way to go, just an idea.

op's askin if when he hooks up his sub to one of the 2 channels, will it get the full 400 watts, which it wont. he'll have to bridge it, which we should probably tell him how to do... Yes the amp will work for you.
plus, if you're on a tight budget a used amp might be a better way to go, just an idea.
Used better is always better than garbage new. OP what vc configuration do you have?

what were asking for is the resistance of the coils, expressed in ohms. you need to know it to find an amp to match. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

if it's 4 ohms, then that wal-mart amp is the same ratings as your sub, and it'll work fine.

Cool. Then on the amp, where it has the + and - on the speaker channels, it should also say bridge on the farest + and farest -. Wire it like that and you're good to go for now. My first set up was like that. I left the amp at full range. But if you get treble through the sub, switch the knob to low pass.

right, make sure it's stable to 4 ohms, and if you have questions on how to bridge it, just ask. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif you're well on your way now!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.