Fiberglass Sub Box

Icecube91

Senior VIP Member
Im looking to do a fiberglass box in my 2012 Acura TL in the spare tire. I have a single 12" JL Audio W7 running off a JL HD 1200/1 in a sealed box right now and it sounds accurate but not loud and boomy enough. JL's website suggests 1.75 ft3 net volume but I'm going to go bigger. I'm hoping I can do 2.5 ft3 tuned to 32-34hertz. Is this a good size box for it? Also my other question is since it will be a ported fiberglass box I'm going to be using a aero port. Will I need one or two aero ports how long and what size diameter if I go 2.5ft3 tuned to 32-34 hertz?

I was also considering building a regular ported box. The plan was having the sub face the trunk and have the port go into the ski pass. Which would be better the fiberglass ported box or regular ported box with port through ski pass

I was also considering building a regular ported box. The plan was having the sub face the trunk and have the port go into the ski pass. Which would be better the fiberglass ported box or regular ported box with port through ski pass
Ski port would be bad for port it would be better to include an inset amp rack to see through port ...rear fire sub and let port exit passenger side ..about 8 inches from side wall shock tower

How would you do a slot port? This is my first time doing a fiberglass box not too experienced with it

Fiberglass is going to be expensive to build up thick enough to be very rigid and it is a PITA to work with. I'd suggest trying your hand with some smaller fiberglass projects (like midrange pods) before you go all in building a subwoofer box with it.

12w7 would do well up to about 3 cube and it will want 32-34hz tuning. Dunno how you'd fit any adequate diameter port in a spare tire well though. IF you want to "port through ski hole" type thing you should look into a 4th order bandpass box which may work well for you but definitely would be impractical to build out of fiberglass.

horrible idea. It'll only work if its a 4th order enclosure and you completely seal off the rear deck like every crack and crevice. You can do an aeroport but depending on the port area, the port might be very long protruding out. You'll want a 6 inch diameter port which might be around 20 inches long from rough guestimates. Bends will be hard to do and reduce efficiency.

Out of the fiberglass and port and sub facing trunk which would you think would be better for my car? I always have the ski pass down and I also have a stock rear 8" sub that's disconnected in the rear deck. So if I build the box and push it back the ski pass will be blocked.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.