How to test factory GM navigation unit outside of vehicle?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Matt98svt

CarAudio.com Newbie
So we are looking at buying a vehicle that has a aftermarket headunit installed currently but the owner still has the factory navigation unit (pics below). If we purchase, my wife would like the factory unit reinstalled. He says the aftermarket unit was already installed when he purchased the vehicle and is not sure if this factory unit works or not but assumed it did. He let me take it to try and have it tested out. I called my local stereo shop and offered to pay them to test it out and they had no interest. Reading online I see that some of these navigation units can show up as "locked" once you install them which I guess is a security feature and renders them useless. Can someone link to me a basic power harness for this thing where I can power it from my car battery and at least test that is powers up and that it is not locked? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
That's a tough one. You didn't give a reason for her wanting to reinstall the factory unit. If it's personal, you don't have to share.

1. The basic power harness is already installed in your vehicle by the factory. Seems like you may have to disconnect the existing stereo and connect the factory harness to the factory Stereo. It may be a tedious job, dependent upon how easy it is to get to the wiring harness. I would be reluctant to experiment with adding power to the many pins located on the rear.

2. I would call some other shops, if any are available. Seems like it would be easy for them to test a radio for power.

3. Pick an afternoon when you have plenty of time and install the factory head unit. Once it's plugged in, you know if it works. If it doesn't pull it and reinstall your aftermarket unit.

5. Let your wife pick out a new head unit, with all the features she wants. And promise her a new dress or pair of shoes. It works every time.

Good luck.

They make reverse car audio harnesses for a lot of decks ... I'm assuming they are made to test decks or for when someone got smart and cut the factory plug off because they decided they didnt need it anymore ....

But anyway this is a thought to test the deck . The reverse radio wires use standard radio colors so it makes it easy to hook a radio to a battery or power supply to make sure it works ...without having to tear apart the dash.

If you discover the radio has a code and you dont have it in the owners manual take your registration to the dealership and they will usually provide a radio code for free ..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.