Fiberglass ranger door pods.

bigbud747
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well, finally got started on making some door pods for this beast. We definitely needed to upgrade the mids and highs, so we got a set of Focal A1 6.5 components. The guy this is for wanted to still be able to have the Alpine type S 5x7's in the door, so I had to figure out a way to make pods that looked good hold a 6.5, and still not cover up the stock location for the door speakers. I just started this today and probably won't get done till sunday. I'll let the pictures do the explaining on what I'm doing with these doors. I could only start on one door today since I ran out of resin:crap:. Oh well. I'll get started on the other door tomorrow and and start getting the frame work set up, and hopefully the cloth stretched over and hardened. But we'll see. On to the pictures.

PC180707.jpg

PC180710.jpg

PC180711.jpg

PC180712.jpg

PC180713.jpg

PC180714.jpg

PC180719.jpg

PC180720.jpg

PC180722.jpg

Haha. Didn't even see that. I would have figured someone would have noticed the cookie on the plate in front of the panel before that. Sour cream cookies FTMFW.

I've been working on these things the past 2 days, and they should be bondoed and sanded tomorrow, with the possibility of them being painted tomorrow. Anyway, don't judge this too bad considering this is only my second fiberglass project. So far this is actually turning out pretty freaking good compared to my kickpanels I made, which turned out nice in the end, so these will look good when they're done. They just don't look that hot now. Haha. I got the cloth stretched, hardened, and fiberglass put on which is hardening right now and won't be done hardening till tomorrow. Even tho things don't look that even on both sides, I've learned that bondo will fix pretty much anything.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Lol. On to the pictures!

PC200733.jpg

PC200736.jpg

PC200737.jpg

PC200741.jpg

PC200742.jpg

And here's my new toy.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:D

PC200744.jpg

PC200746.jpg

That's some great work! Would you ever make a pair of those pods and sell them? I have a reg cab ranger. What IA sub is that?

That's some great work! Would you ever make a pair of those pods and sell them? I have a reg cab ranger. What IA sub is that?
Thanks. Haha. I'm charging this guy 75 a door, so 150 total. If I could somehow make a vaccuum mold of this thing when it's done and fiberglass the inside, I would sell them for 200 for the pair. I think that would be a pretty reasonable price seeing what other stuff goes for. Haha. I just can't wait till tomorrow when these will actually start to take shape with the bondo.

And that's a DP 12 d2. I'm replacing my 12" Bl in my single cab ram 1500 running off about 750 watts, making a fiberglass box, and running this beast at 1500 watts:D. Look for a buildup on that in the next week or two after I get this holiday stuff out of the way. Haha. Here's a link the a picture of what my current setup looks like now.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333406

Thanks. Haha. I'm charging this guy 75 a door, so 150 total. If I could somehow make a vaccuum mold of this thing when it's done and fiberglass the inside, I would sell them for 200 for the pair. I think that would be a pretty reasonable price seeing what other stuff goes for. Haha. I just can't wait till tomorrow when these will actually start to take shape with the bondo.
And that's a DP 12 d2. I'm replacing my 12" Bl in my single cab ram 1500 running off about 750 watts, making a fiberglass box, and running this beast at 1500 watts:D. Look for a buildup on that in the next week or two after I get this holiday stuff out of the way. Haha. Here's a link the a picture of what my current setup looks like now.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333406
That's a great price and good work. I'm looking forward to your new build, I had a 10'' BL in my ranger up until two days ago.....I'm very jealous of how much space you have in that ram.

That's actually speaker grill cloth, and the reason it is, is because that's the best it was gonna get considering it was a ***** to even get it that stretched out. I'm honestly not concerned about it since I can just spread some bondo on and make it all nice and purdy.

That's a great price and good work. I'm looking forward to your new build, I had a 10'' BL in my ranger up until two days ago.....I'm very jealous of how much space you have in that ram.
Yeah. My Bl pounds, but it's d1 so it's only getting 750 watts. Even tho the DP has a mounting depth of 8.5", it should fit a little better than my Bl. And with it powered by 1500 watts, and a 6" aero port:eek: tuned to 32 hz, there won't be anything left of my dash. If your a dodge owner (years '94-'01) you'll know what I'm talking about. But hopefully after I get all my little projects done, fiberglassing a dash will be next on my list.

Yeah. My Bl pounds, but it's d1 so it's only getting 750 watts. Even tho the DP has a mounting depth of 8.5", it should fit a little better than my Bl. And with it powered by 1500 watts, and a 6" aero port:eek: tuned to 32 hz, there won't be anything left of my dash. If your a dodge owner (years '94-'01) you'll know what I'm talking about. But hopefully after I get all my little projects done, fiberglassing a dash will be next on my list.
That's going to be pretty sweet. I just put a 12'' Nightshade which also has 8.5'' mounting depth in two days ago and now my passenger seat is pretty much useless.....I think I'm going to have to sell the Nightshade now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

plan on using lots of bondo eh?

From experience i found that its easier to just get a nice stretchy fleece and do it as tight as possible without ripping. Bondo is to fix minor surface imperfections, not necessarily whole craters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.