Feeler FS/FT Orion HCCA 15" (4 of them)

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Item(s) for Sale:

Orion HCCA 15". My friend Mike asked me to post these up and see what kind of offers we get. We blew them up last summer testing (music/bass race type). We replaced with 4 shocker sigs in his wall since recones took about a year to come up with. Recones are finally here so some 4" coil ground pounders for anyone interested.

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Motors and baskets in nice shape, One or two have some singe marks around the gap which should wash off. Just got some fresh recones (dual 2 ohm IIRC) Recones haven't even been installed so 100% fresh.

These subs are pretty bad ***. They burp 4KW no problem, but realistically 4KW music they won't last more than a minute. 4" coil so they should do 1600W sine wave forever, 2000 on music all day long, mechanically they are incredibly rugged.

Price:

Thinking 400+ shipping, will consider most trades (good stuff we can trade or re-sell)

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Should be 50-75$ I suspect, local pickup nothing. We do a lot of northeast shows so could meet up at any.

Item Pictures:

(List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).

DSC06729.jpg

I have refs here scattered in the old ref section + the ones next to my name. Got more on DIYMA, on CACO (all unique) + approaching 14,000 on ebay (and refs on non-audio forums for big money trades).

Can get more/newer pics this weekend.

Have him give me a call or txt 603-235-9549. Will be up with my friend at the Tewksbury, MA TNESPL show Saturday night. If he's local we can bring the subs, otherwise I can pick them up and deal with shipping and such.

Like I said, I'm on CACO, DIYMA, SSA, eBay as "hispls" if he needs to contact me via another forum.

*EDIT*

Just signed up for that forum and PM'd and left a message on his thread. If you know the guy let him know too.

are these the same subs that everyone talks about that will take more power than any other sub on the market?
Rumors of supernatural power handling are probably exagerated. I will say that mechanically they are incredibly solid and would be difficult to break. As far as the coils, they're 4", but not particularly impressive wire gauge.

Realistic thermal power handling for ANY 4" coil 1600W sine wave indefinitely, probably 2KW music (normal music...not a bass race song that's just a sine wave).

They hold up to 4KW burps no problem but will burn up in about a minute at 4KW (bass race type song). These were putting up consistant 157.7 to 158.0 @ 48hz

Rumors of supernatural power handling are probably exagerated. I will say that mechanically they are incredibly solid and would be difficult to break. As far as the coils, they're 4", but not particularly impressive wire gauge.
Realistic thermal power handling for ANY 4" coil 1600W sine wave indefinitely, probably 2KW music (normal music...not a bass race song that's just a sine wave).

They hold up to 4KW burps no problem but will burn up in about a minute at 4KW (bass race type song). These were putting up consistant 157.7 to 158.0 @ 48hz
ok. i was just curious. the coils did look a little on the weak side especially compared to the soundstream xxx coil i saw a while back. that is a 4'' coil that is a true power handler.

but anyway. free bump.

A note to add that might help your sale of these is that they will hold up much better to high power on music in a smaller box tuned lower. Mike's wall had a LOT of volume and was tuned high, definitely not ideal for high power and music. I still don't think they'd take 4kw for very long on music, but I guess what I'm saying is that no one should think these aren't tough subs.

Are these pretty easy to recone??? I have always wanted one of these but they cost too **** much lol.
Recones require only an alan wrench kit. They are pre-assembled and everything bolts together. A really nicely designed drop-in system actually....my only beef with that style is that you are stuck with buying only proprietary recones.

damn those coils are TORE up
why not have the former re-wrapped with better wire? just out of curiosity
Yeah, they went all slinky after we let the smoke out. First of all, the way the drop in recone is designed it would be nearly impossible to attatch new anything. SO theoretically you could, but you'd never be able to attatch the coil to the tinsel leads.

Also winding with thicker gauge wire would effect most parameters, Re and MMS most dramatically I think. AND would be particularly impractical. Having coils made requires a minimum 25 piece order and 4" coils start at around 50$. The hassle of actually buying wire, making your own formers(since coil is epoxied to former) and hand winding would be awful and results would likely not be terribly consistant. Also see above about dramatically changing specs if you change coil.

If you wanted to build a 4" coil sub for SPL purposes IMHO a TSNS, TRF, or 4hp motor would do you better anyway. IMO these subs would be a good sounding daily ground pounder.

A note to add that might help your sale of these is that they will hold up much better to high power on music in a smaller box tuned lower. Mike's wall had a LOT of volume and was tuned high, definitely not ideal for high power and music. I still don't think they'd take 4kw for very long on music, but I guess what I'm saying is that no one should think these aren't tough subs.
Thanks, Dave, Yes, the box was very big and IMO tuned quite low (we took out about 20 cube so that we're burping at 57hz now). Considering my box tuned to 40 peaks at 56, his peaking at 47 is indicative of low tuning (especially given the short pathlength). I would actually feel confident that you'd have to be a complete arsehole to exceed their mechanical limits period. This was purely a thermal failure. When we took out the old softparts I tried to break tripple joint and spider ring, etc. You could jump up and down on them and not break them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.